It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

US40126 HB User
Why do people lie..and is it a mental illness?

Hello all, I was wondering why do people tell lies and what is the cause of it. My ex is really a pathological liar in every way possible. He lies about EVERYTHING. While we were together his lies were never ending, even about little stupid things that don't matter either way. Him and I hadn't talked in a while, but just recently we did again and he told me so many lies that I didn't find out the truth til later. And even dumb little things he lied about. An example of something he lied about just recently is that he said he was working for a dj company and was training to be a dj. Well found out today that was a big fat lie. His lies are never ending.. He even lies about major things. I am through with this man due to this, but I am just wondering why people do this. Is there something mentally wrong with them? It's like he has no conscience at all. Any thoughts would be great.. I am very curious about this.

Old 08-09-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
(male)

bynobody HB User
Re: Why do people lie..and is it a mental illness?

He probably just feels REALLY REALLY bad about himself, like he is a total failure and wants you to think high of him so he lies about himself.

Pathological lying can be a sign of a worse illness though, I think. If he lies JUST TO LIE, then there is something wrong with him, IMHO.

I have done this before...said I was doing something I planned on doing but never had the balls to actually do. It was all part of my serious insecurities.

Good to hear you're finding a better guy!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2007, 01:27 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

GriffSS HB User
Wink Re: Why do people lie..and is it a mental illness?

Hehehe. The first recorded lie was in the Garden of Eden. We lie to our children and thing they're too imature to notice it. We teach them to do it.
Lying today is not a sin or a wrong; it's a SKILL. God Bless, Skittley.

GriffSS Mike

Closed Thread