It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2006, 04:00 AM   #1
(male)

slipping HB User
Can descent into madness be stopped?

Can descent into true madness be halted, or better yet reversed?

Not the result of a sudden trauma or event but rather a deterioration over the span of many years which has recently accelerated.

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:15 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Can descent into madness be stopped?

Therapy and meds would take a good shot at it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2006, 05:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

marshmallow HB User

slipping, what is happening to make you feel you are descending into madness? Do you have a pdoc or regular doctor to talk to? There is help out there I believe so don't give up without seeking it please.

Old 11-22-2006, 12:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipping
Can descent into true madness be halted, or better yet reversed?

but rather a deterioration over the span of many years which has recently accelerated.

Thanks.
I wouldn't say deterioration. Rather your thought process is leading to this "madness." Our minds left alone with free running thoughts and no control will always lead to madness and negativity. This madness is really a lack of mental self control and lack of understanding and observation.

Meds are never the cure for your case. As drug abusers and head traumas might be more med oriented, your case sounds like a case of self-control.

This is "CURED" through meditation. After 3 months of meditation. (3-5 nights a week, 15-45mins) The meditation I speak of is of silencing the mind. You must gain control over your thoughts and emotions. As your thoughts are connected to your emotions, (via your unconscious choice) you must learn to guide your thoughts. First you must gain the ability to stop all thinking, and stay thoughtless for periods of time.

In these meditation sessions, your only goal is to think nothing, and focus on somthing. I find my floor fan, ceiling fan, etc are the best to use. (not radios).
Something that makes a continuous sound that doesnt change that you can focus on mentally so you can be thoughtless. After 3 months of steady WORK, as this is work and takes effort, but also PAYS for life! Once the 3 months is up, you should have the ability to go thoughtless at anytime you choose. I am usually always thoughtless, and just KNOW what I am doing, instead of thinking. You actually gain intelligence by NOT thinking, odd eh...lol

You must also understand more about your brain and your emotions. As once meditation has begun, thoughts will fly by...but just do not tune in. Just like a radio, you tune into what you want and don't listen to static. So change the station or turn it off. But let the ignorant thoughts flow by with no thinking. Thoughts are nothing until you begin to think them.

This is getting long and probably will be ignored as it usually does. I will post more if you ask, but too many people want the quick fix (medication).

But medications only make you dumb to yourself, and only mask the "problems" or to be honest, they only control your mind for you.

Use the internet, -meditation/mental health/power of positivethinking/thought/how to overcome negative thinking/etc

Success is in your hands, effort is required. But that is what life is about, to learn and grow.

Much Love.
-DFW

Old 11-27-2006, 10:58 AM   #5
(male)

slipping HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfwgoodguy
This madness is really a lack of mental self control and lack of understanding and observation. Meds are never the cure for your case. As drug abusers and head traumas might be more med oriented, your case sounds like a case of self-control.
Thanks for the interesting insight.

This is something that I've been struggling with for some time. Whether self-control can overcome this slide or disintegration. I wonder though whether your exercise would work if there were a physiological element to the problem. Causing the problem that is, not resulting from it.

Either way, I have nothing to lose by trying it.

Thanks again.

Old 11-28-2006, 09:20 PM   #6
(male)

Perry2 HB User

"Madness" is a catch all term like "crazy". Do you actually know what your affliction is? Bipolar? Schizophrenic? Maybe just paranoid? Don't confuse neurosis with psychosis. You need to get examined by a mental health professional to find out what you might have. At the very least start with your MD.
Many forms of mental illness are progressive. Many are treatable with therapy and/or medication.
I can't agree with DFW that meditation will solve your problems. If you start hearing voices you will probably need more than positive thinking.
However I absolutely concur that your negative thoughts might be taking you
to a place you do not want to be. If you starting thinking you are unwell you can make yourself that way. Your mind, once you start thinking you are damaged, will make you that way. The mind can create physical symptoms if you open yourself up to them. Mental manifestations are going to come even easier.
Knowing absolutely nothing about the specifics of your problems I am going to yes The very fact you are clear headed enough to ask the question says that you have the ability to exercise a choice in your future.
You need professional medical advice. And you need to do some things for yourself. DFW says meditate. I say exercise and vitamin and mineral supplements will jumpstart your sense of well being. Just don't do nothing. Whatever the cause of the "descent", nothing will improve without new stimulus.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:38 AM   #7
(male)

slipping HB User

Thanks for the input.

Last edited by slipping; 11-30-2006 at 08:18 AM.

Old 11-29-2006, 12:40 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I have never liked the term madness or crazy. I have severe major depression disorder with psycotic features plus a few other things. I see and hear things that are not there. Now during a phase it can get pretty bad but I am never out of control for very long. I think some better terms would be in control and out of control. My doctor calls my bad days psycotic episodes but I really don't care wjat he thinks. I guess what I am trying to get at is having a mental illness is enough of a stigma we do not need to add madness or crazy to the mix.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 11-29-2006, 06:39 PM   #9
(male)

Perry2 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg247
I have never liked the term madness or crazy. I have severe major depression disorder with psycotic features plus a few other things. I see and hear things that are not there. Now during a phase it can get pretty bad but I am never out of control for very long. I think some better terms would be in control and out of control. My doctor calls my bad days psycotic episodes but I really don't care wjat he thinks. I guess what I am trying to get at is having a mental illness is enough of a stigma we do not need to add madness or crazy to the mix.

trg247
Especially since they are antiquated terms that have no real meaning today in relation to actual psychological disorders. Political correctness aside, if your Doctor told you that you were "crazy" or "insane" you would be checking the Diploma on his wall to make sure it was real. These words referred to mental illness prior to the birth of modern psychoanalysis but now are typically used as adjectives to describe an ill conceived idea.

I did not mean to come across as making light of anyones's condition trg. His choice of the rather poetic sounding term "madness" made me think first of getting him to clarify rather than instructing him on what terms might be found offensive by people on this board. No disrespect intended.

Last edited by Perry2; 02-03-2007 at 10:13 PM.

Closed Thread