It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2006, 07:28 AM   #1
(female)

PaigePea HB User
I don't know what's wrong with me... or who to go to

I don't know where to start about what's wrong with me. I'm eighteen so I used to be able to just pass all this stuff off as kid's stuff, like phobias or whatever. But I'm an adult now and I don't know what to do.

I have these fears. When I was little I was never afraid of the dark, but I am now. I'm afraid of the dark. I'm afraid of the BATHROOM I can't have a bath when the house is empty just in case 'something happens' I don't even know what I think will happen but half the time I leap out halfway through and run and hide.

I'm afraid - more like paranoid - about dairy products, particularly eggs and milk. Even when I force myself to drink milk I throw up and I don't know why. I'm paranoid about expiration dates on food, I won't let anyone else buy my food I have to get it myself to make sure that it's 'safe.' And this is just the more light hearted stuff.

I had a break-down in college and dropped out (after three hours, and most of that was spent pleading for someone to take me home)

I think all the time. You know, worry, about stupid things. The anxiety is the worst part. I used to think so much I couldn't sleep, but now I can't get out of bed.

so my problem is -- this is just the tip of the iceberg. This is just the stuff I can bare to tell people about anonymously over the internet. There is so much other stuff that is so much worse I can't even type it, let alone talk to anyone about it to anyone in real life. So seeing a doctor? (maybe, if I wasn't afraid of doctors) And loved ones? (well, I don't have a whole lot left)

My family has a very strong history of mental illness, and even though it doesn't sound like it from the examples I've given... well, like I said, tip of the iceberg.

What should I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: I don't know what's wrong with me... or who to go to

Paige, I would go to a psychiatrist. Having all of these fears isn't small little things they can cause you to alter you life (and they did, you dropped out of college). Please get help so that you can feel better.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Look up OCD or obssesive compulsive disorder and see if it makes sense. You really need to see a doctor to get a proper diagnosis.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-19-2006, 02:59 PM   #4
(male)

8-9-10 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaigePea
I don't know where to start about what's wrong with me. I'm eighteen so I used to be able to just pass all this stuff off as kid's stuff, like phobias or whatever. But I'm an adult now and I don't know what to do.

I have these fears. When I was little I was never afraid of the dark, but I am now. I'm afraid of the dark. I'm afraid of the BATHROOM I can't have a bath when the house is empty just in case 'something happens' I don't even know what I think will happen but half the time I leap out halfway through and run and hide.

I'm afraid - more like paranoid - about dairy products, particularly eggs and milk. Even when I force myself to drink milk I throw up and I don't know why. I'm paranoid about expiration dates on food, I won't let anyone else buy my food I have to get it myself to make sure that it's 'safe.' And this is just the more light hearted stuff.

I had a break-down in college and dropped out (after three hours, and most of that was spent pleading for someone to take me home)

I think all the time. You know, worry, about stupid things. The anxiety is the worst part. I used to think so much I couldn't sleep, but now I can't get out of bed.

so my problem is -- this is just the tip of the iceberg. This is just the stuff I can bare to tell people about anonymously over the internet. There is so much other stuff that is so much worse I can't even type it, let alone talk to anyone about it to anyone in real life. So seeing a doctor? (maybe, if I wasn't afraid of doctors) And loved ones? (well, I don't have a whole lot left)

My family has a very strong history of mental illness, and even though it doesn't sound like it from the examples I've given... well, like I said, tip of the iceberg.

What should I do?
Sounds like major ocd. And major anxiety in general. Go get help fast I have an idea of the kind of thoughts you dont want to talk about and plz dont worry about them just tell the doctor about such intrusive thoughts and get help. You WILL be ok. Just remember that.

Old 12-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User

I agree with the previous posts; you really should find a professional with whom to speak; someone you can trust and open up to. You can also do a little Internet searching and become a bit more informed regarding your "symptoms." But, don't take what you read to heart. The best bet for a clear understanding is to have some knowledge which you can use to have a meaningful dialogue with a professional (either psychologist, psychiatrist or medical doctor). The psychologist will likely use some form of talk therapy, the psyhiatrist will likely prescribe medications. Both may be helpful, maybe even necessary. You should also go to a medical doctor to rule out any organic issues. Have a complete check up.

Closed Thread