It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2006, 11:53 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

MissJessica HB User
Question Alcohol & Psych Meds

Ok, so what is the real deal with Alcohol and psych meds?

I am a light drinker, I usually drink maybe a beer every other night or so, when I get home from work, and maybe gooutdrinking once every six months or so.

Ofcourse, every psychiatrist says no alcohol while taking psych meds..

Why is that ?

I don't drink heavily at all.. I don't chase my meds with alcohol ever. Or any other stuff that would be an obvious no-no.

So what exactly is the reason why the docs say absolutely no alcohol while taking psych meds??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 04:11 PM   #2
(male)

8-9-10 HB User
Re: Alcohol & Psych Meds

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissJessica
Ok, so what is the real deal with Alcohol and psych meds?

I am a light drinker, I usually drink maybe a beer every other night or so, when I get home from work, and maybe gooutdrinking once every six months or so.

Ofcourse, every psychiatrist says no alcohol while taking psych meds..

Why is that ?

I don't drink heavily at all.. I don't chase my meds with alcohol ever. Or any other stuff that would be an obvious no-no.

So what exactly is the reason why the docs say absolutely no alcohol while taking psych meds??
Well alcohol is a depressant and effects the chemicals in the brain and taking them could alter whatever effect your meds will have. So its best not to gamble with such a thing and do as the doctor says. Just to be safe like you could go crazy and get worse while mixing your meds with alcohol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-19-2006, 04:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I am on a lot of psych meds and I do have the occasional drink. One every five days or so. What I have found is the meds multiply the effect of the alcohol. So two beers feels like you have had four. If you do it just be careful and do not go overboard.

trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 12-21-2006, 02:25 PM   #4
(female)

vuitton HB User

I have found that even two drinks, while on meds. Gives a a hangover times 10!

Old 01-20-2007, 11:35 PM   #5
(female)

TzuMom HB User

It also depends on which meds you are taking.
Alcohol will negate the benefits of some meds, but not others.
This may be impacted by when you take your meds and when you drink alcohol.
The best thing is for you to be 100% honest with your doctor about your drinking so that s/he can provide accurate feedback.
When you do drink, try doing things that will reduce the affects of alcohol. For example, eat a full meal before drinking or drink a wine spritzer that is more spritzer and less wine.

Old 02-07-2007, 12:02 PM   #6
(female)

Mucho_Ocho HB User

I take all sorts of psych meds, and I've been known to enjoy a little Vodka now and then. I can't tell you if the pills and booze intensify each other because I didn't drink much before I began taking pills. But I do know this: Sometimes I feel terribly depressed and alcohol helps. It's like taking an aspirin for a headache. The bad thoughts go away when I'm drinking. However, I usually end up doing or saying something that I horribly regret. The next day (or whenever) I usually feel 10x depressed. I don't know if that's the alcohol working it's way through my system, or just guilt from drinking. So my advice? Drinking is great for temporarily easing depression, but you may regret it later.

Last edited by Mucho_Ocho; 02-07-2007 at 12:03 PM.

Old 02-08-2007, 07:21 PM   #7
(female)

*Spaz* HB User

Umm alcohol is a depressent for one and most antidepressants are metabolized in the liver...so it puts strain on your liver when you do both.

Closed Thread