It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
(male)

ILuvBoston HB User
Are many Psychiatrists con-artists?

I often wonder if many psychiatrists are more concentrated in their business and making money, rather than their patients who are all strangers

If a psychiatrist cures all his clients..... then he/or she will have no clients.... and therefore no job.

It seems like theyre too quick to push medications on people... and that they have deals with companies like GlaxoSmithKline, etc.

In 2001... I started having bad panic attacks...... I was prescribed paxil now I cant get off.... and its so sad...... i have these "electrical zaps" everytime i try to quit.... that zap me in the brain........ the psychologist never told me it would happen......

It just seems like a new drug comes out every year, psychiatrists push it onto their clients.... and then when it is realized those medications are dangerous... .a new one comes out....

Prozac... Zoloft... Paxil.... Zyprexa.... i dont even know what the new one is.... or what the new one next year will be

What are your thoughts on this??

Old 01-05-2007, 07:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Are many Psychiatrists con-artists?

Our whole medical field and treating of illness in the USA is medicine based instead of prevention or alternative medicine. Psychiatrists are doctors and they have the same outlook, medicine, medicine, medicine. Therapy with a psychologist or other mental health care professional will work on the issues that are causing the anxiety. I recovered from anxiety without medicine but with finding the issues that were causing the anxiety. I read a pamphlet a month or so ago which was for a conference on anxiety. In it, the presenter wrote that people with anxiety hardly ever think that there are any issues that cause it. I have tried to post on the anxiety boards and it was useless for me because I wanted to talk about issues and everyone else on there is just talking about meds.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2007, 08:24 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

firenice HB User

I wouldn't call them con artists; but, they are often deeply entrenched in the system of their profession, which is, after all, medical. I would like to see all symptoms of depression, anxiety, stress....whatever, begin from a psychological approach first and use medication as a secondary, or later, option. In some cases, medication has been helpful. The same problem holds in other areas of the medical profession. Surgery is often the first choice as opposed to first trying alternatives. Sometimes surgery is necessary, but not all surgeries are needed. In fact, our whole cultural approach to a problem is often to bury it, smother it, kill it rather than understand it and change it. But, more importantly, what are you goind to do about your medication issue?

Old 01-06-2007, 08:41 AM   #4
(male)

bachiach HB User

Once they become familiar with you and get you on meds that work, usually you only have to see them once every 3 months to get your meds re-ordered. Its like asking if car dealerships are con artists, yes and no. Legally no, morally they usually are. Its a business where they need you to keep coming back. All health care is. Why do you think there is no cure for cancer? If your cured, no more chemo, no more radiation, no more Dr. visits and MRI's. Why in the world would they want to cure that.

I am seeing a psychologist for the past 3 weeks. Calling her today to cancel our appointments in the future. I don't believe she can help me, actually noone for that matter can. Maybe some people on this board can help a bit, only because they have gone through what I am going through or are going through it. I think thats the only way to get real help.

Just the same as buying a Mercedes from a salesman that drives a Ford. He can tell you specifications about it, what it is suppose to do, but unless that is his primary car, he cannot give you an accurate portrail of how a Mercedes really is.

Of course this is just my opinion. But so is everything else on here.

Old 01-06-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachiach
I am seeing a psychologist for the past 3 weeks. Calling her today to cancel our appointments in the future. I don't believe she can help me, actually noone for that matter can.
Counseling changed my life 2000%. I highly recommend it.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

My Psychiatrist has saved my life many times. I may be mad at him for this or that but I am usually angry with the world.

There is no cure for clinical depression that I know of. Nor is there any for OCD, Anxiety, Bipolar Disorder and what have you.

I also seriously doubt that they would spend all that money, time, education to become flim flam men, there are many cheaper and easier ways.

Old 01-06-2007, 05:52 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Dantheinsane HB User

My Psychiatrist has saved my life many times. I may be mad at him for this or that but I am usually angry with the world.

There is no cure for clinical depression that I know of. Nor is there any for OCD, Anxiety, Bipolar Disorder and what have you.

I also seriously doubt that they would spend all that money, time, education to become flim flam men, there are many cheaper and easier ways.

Old 01-06-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Musical_Muse HB User

Okay...I see two sides to this coin: the doctors who may actually believe that by prescribing patients medication, they are truly helping them to feel better; the other side is that they, like it or not, are employed by a much larger body that wants mainly to make money from the patients that are being treated. It's not black and white--nothing ever is. Everyone, to some degree, is a con artist of sorts. One glaring example is that we are not, in general, altruistic--we expect something in return for something even as simple as a smile. In that way,we "profit" from the interaction.

The reality is that we are a society driven by monetary gain. I recognize that I need money in order to buy the things that I need for my apartment, my car and myself. In California at least, I would be homeless if I was not making a steady income.

~Colleen

Last edited by Musical_Muse; 01-06-2007 at 10:24 PM.

Old 01-07-2007, 05:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dantheinsane
Dan, I used to have anxiety and now I am free of it because I figured out what thoughts in my head were causing it. Bipolar and Schizophrenia, I agree have huge biological components to it but with medicine and counseling people can learn to cope better with it. I know that anxiety can cause OCD and if anxiety can be cured I would assume that a lot of OCD can too.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:05 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

strongernow HB User

Hi

Yes be cautious. I am educated in the mental health field. Psychiatrists are humans too and can and will exploit your weakness for financial gain.

Make sure your psychiatrists are board certified. Make sure you ask plenty of questions BEFORE going on any medication.

If they get angry or defensive you can bet your money that they are hiding something and will probably not help you.

In my educated opinion, I think that psychiatry is only good if you have psychotic delusions, schizophrenia, or need anxiety medication for one off situations like for flying on an airplane or doing a massive one off oral presentation.

Other than those conditions I think that you can deal with your mental health best with cognitive, behavioral, adlerian, or emotion focused therapy!

Be cautious with who you pick! Also do plenty of research and educate yourself.

Last edited by strongernow; 01-07-2007 at 08:36 PM.

Old 01-07-2007, 08:12 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

strongernow HB User

I also wanted to mention that if you cannot afford counseling or therapy (the types I mentioned above) then I suggest Dr. Phil's Self Matters Audiobook, I think it is awesome. Also try any audiobook by Lyanla Van Zant and Louise Hay.

The best psychologists are Aaron Beck, Susan Johnson, Carl Rogers, Alfred Adler, and any Object Relations therapist.

Last edited by strongernow; 01-07-2007 at 08:34 PM.

Old 01-15-2007, 12:23 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

"Life is pain, if somebody tells you it isn't, he has something to sell."

Darn, heard that in a movie but can't recall which one.

I do believe psychiatry has some real purposes for some people, yet the percentage of really mentally ill people(lost touch with reality) is way too small for drug co's and psychiatry to make a good living so they need to push the chemical imbalance theory to explain everything from nailbiting to road rage.

Plus the chemical imbalance theory (it is still scientific theory not fact) medicalizes mental, emotional, and life problems of people and thus causes the medical insurances to pay out on it.

Yes, even if you are only crying because your cat died, if you go get some Zoloft to get happier your insurance must still pay for it, even though obviously you are not really "sick".

Last edited by Jennita; 01-15-2007 at 12:27 PM.

Closed Thread