It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-18-2007, 11:13 AM   #1
(male)

TommyUK HB User
Neck twitch triggered by anxiety?

There is nothing wrong with me around friends or family, but when I sit still with a large group of people, be it in a theatre or a church or a seminar etc my neck goes extremely stiff and becomes prone to twitching. These twitches however are practically voluntary. I can control them by not moving my head, but the second I try and move my neck it spasms out of control. I then get sucked into an extremely uncomfortable feeling that everyone is watching me and I can't bare to look up at anyone else. The ONLY way I can get round it is by doing something like scratching my nose, or putting my hand in my jacket as if to search for something. I just don't understand this!!!

I'm worried because I might have a serious disease but this could, more likely, be psychological and confidence related. The only way to suppress it is by drinking alcohol. I really don't want to spend the rest of my life with a bottle of absinthe in my jacket so my head doesn't twitch.

Why Oh Why does the human brain do this? Apparently these sort of things are subconsciously meant to protect you. FROM WHAT? It's honestly hell. I could swear I am full of confidence and my mind is confident, it's just my body which is unease and at discomfort.

I'd really appreciate some advice.

Old 01-23-2007, 08:43 PM   #2
(male)

dystonia023 HB User
Post Re: Neck twitch triggered by anxiety?

It sounds to me like you might want to look into the possibility that you have cervical dystonia or some other similiar movement disorder, such as myoclonic dystonia. You sound exactly like me before my condition started to deteriorate, not to alarm you. Here are some links to get you started, and you probably want to see a neurologist as soon as possible. Also, try not to drink if you can until you find out what the problem is. Although that seems to help in the short-term, it actually does much, much more harm than good if you do have a neurological condition. Don't be stupid like me and wait a long time to get this issue checked out by a professional because you don't think it's a big deal. I went for three years before seeing a neurologist because I thought it was just some anxiety-related thing, but it turned out to be dystonia. Good luck to you man.

[url]http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/[/url]
[url]http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/defined/cervical.asp[/url]
[url]http://www.dystonia-foundation.org/defined/myo.asp[/url]
[url]http://www.wemove.org[/url]
[url]http://www.wemove.org/dys/cdys.html[/url]

Last edited by dystonia023; 01-23-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2009, 10:00 PM   #3
(male)

WilliamVG HB User
Re: Neck twitch triggered by anxiety?

I feel the agony and suffering, what you said sounds axactly what I coupe with on a daily basis. I've been in denial mode for years and now i finally know that this isn't natural. Please let me what the prognosis is, thanks.

William

Old 07-03-2010, 01:03 PM   #4
(female)

Karrie72 HB User
Re: Neck twitch triggered by anxiety?

Tommy

I couldn't beleive it when i read your post. I suffered with exactly the same thing, but am pleased to say i am a lot better. Cognitive Behavioural therapy helped me and i haven't experienced the symptoms for two years now. You will be exposed to the situations you dread, but it will be well worth it. It's a small price to pay to get rid of the crippling anxiety. I really feel for you as i know too well what it's like.

I hope this helps.

Closed Thread