It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2007, 01:20 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

opple HB Useropple HB User
Can't stand to hear about cruelty 2 animals (does not describe incident)

Last nite I was standing in the kitchen and the tv in the living room was on. I thought good old pbs, they always have such positive things on there, (as opposed to other a lot of tv stations). And then they told about this animal cruelty spectacle and I was absolutely appalled. I couldn't see the tv set but that didn't matter. I just stood there for several minutes trying to get it together. I was going to make something to eat I guess but I lost my appetite.

Then when I woke up this morning I remembered it and felt positively ill.

I guess I never will get used to human nature. I'm sorry, but I think people have always pretty much been jerks. This particular awful thing happened in the 1800's in N America so let's forget nostalgic notions of a "gentler age" back when people were more polite and respectful. They were never.

You don't have to agree with me but I think animals are sacred. I think they are better than many people, maybe most. I hold desperately onto the fact that there are loving pet owners, animal rights and protections agencies, and an ecology movement. Because without those and that kind of compassion, I think this planet is just lost.

It helps to type this out. I don't want to argue, I hope you will simply understand my hurt and shock.

Last edited by opple; 03-16-2007 at 02:13 PM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opple For This Useful Post:
ceaserlucy (11-03-2010), repentant (10-20-2012)
Old 03-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #2
(female)

tigerlilyx61 HB User
Re: Can't stand to hear about cruelty to animals

I too have a hard time hearing things about animal abuse. I also dwell on it if it touches something in me or is particularly heinous. I would recommend not watching it or turning the station. I know what my triggers are. I can watch Animal Cops on Animal Planet (have you ever seen that?) but I can't watch documentaries or the actual abuse happening so I don't. I know it happens; I don't need to watch it.

I also feel the same as you about animals being sacred. I don't know if I would go so far as to say that animals are better than people. I think that you can't really stereotype any one group because with all goups, whether animals or people there are good and bad. I think the difference is that animals don't intentionally inflict pain, torture, suffering, etc. on others.

One of the tools I use when I do happen to witness animal abuse on TV is think that people do as bad and sometimes worse to their own offspring.

But it is definitely good to know that there are others out there that care as much about animal welfare as I do.

Last edited by tigerlilyx61; 04-06-2007 at 07:01 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to tigerlilyx61:
ceaserlucy (11-03-2010)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tigerlilyx61 For This Useful Post:
ceaserlucy (11-03-2010), repentant (10-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-13-2007, 07:52 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

I understand and I feel the same way you do.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
(female)

Isobella HB User

Totally and utterly agree - I can't stand cruelty to animals in any shape or form and hate to hear about it or read about it. I try to avoid hearing about it, to the extent that if anything comes on the tv news I immediately turn over. I know that without people reporting it things would never get any better, but I just can't listen or watch. I didn't even read the first post in this thread all the way through in case there was anything specific mentioned, that's how determined I am to avoid it. I don't know why I'm like this, as other people seem to be able to listen and watch and, while true animal-lovers themselves, they don't seem to get nightmares about it. I can't even stand animals being supposedly ill-treated or killed in films or tv dramas. I know it's not real, but at some level I just feel sick about it. How I'd love a world where animals were treated with respect and compassion, as they should be.

The following user gives a hug of support to Isobella:
ceaserlucy (11-03-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to Isobella For This Useful Post:
ceaserlucy (11-03-2010)
Old 03-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Thank you for your input, all three of you. tigerlily, I wouldn't have had time to change the station, I wish, though. This was a program about a certain place in N America and it's history and popularity. So never did I expect what-all was narrated.

Isobella, I didn't describe what I heard in my post. I am a firm believer in NOT telling these stories because I also can't bear to spread the shock and devastation a lot of us animal-sensitive people feel when we are confronted with these atrocities. But once I hear about them, I seem to feel a certain responsibility to care about what happened. I don't know why or even what good it will do, after the fact.

This incident was too much, I'm still struggling with it. I don't even know if I believe in God sometimes when I think to myself, why didn't He stop that from happening? How could He just sit by and let this happen to HIS beautiful creatures?

Or by the same token, not knowing what else in the world to do, I think or pray, God bless the spirits of those beautiful animals.

Some things just have no answers. But it helps to know there are four of us right here who care deeply and find disrespect and mistreatment of animals totally unacceptable.

Last edited by opple; 03-16-2007 at 02:23 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to opple For This Useful Post:
ceaserlucy (11-03-2010)
Old 03-17-2007, 09:09 PM   #6
(male)

Cellular HB User

Do you guys feel as bad when you see, for example, a lion ripping up some innocent wild animal?

Old 03-17-2007, 09:58 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

I wasn't going to reply to your question, Cellular, not feeling it deserved my acknowlegment (and also stiplulating in my first post that I didn't wish to turn this into a debate of some kind) but no, I don't feel bad about a lion hunting and eating its game. That is the natural way of things since animal life began or hadn't you heard? And the word "innocent," should pertain to all animals everywhere whether they live their lives by human standards or not.

You seem to have missed the point of this thread entirely.

Last edited by opple; 03-17-2007 at 10:07 PM.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

tired-of-it-all HB User

i am so happy to see all the people who think like me. to me animals are people too. have feelings and are living creatures and unlike humans give unconditional love.alot of people here n nc don't feel that way about them but know up north they do. and it stinks the way some people will treat an anmal.

The Following User Says Thank You to tired-of-it-all For This Useful Post:
ceaserlucy (11-03-2010)
Old 03-18-2007, 01:57 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

kalishreya HB User

I'm not sure why this thread is on a mental health board, but thank goodness for all of you that feel this way, too. I adore animals. (Much more than humans, who I don't particularly like as a whole species.) I cannot stand to hear about cruelty to animals - it makes me angry, frustrated, and just so incredibly sad. It always has. I can't even watch Animal Cops on Animal Planet anymore.

Granted, I'm overemotional because I lost my best friend/brother to suicide less than a year ago (the anniversary is coming up), so now I can't stand to see any animal hurt in anyway. I mean, I cried when a cartoon lion felt abandoned by his father. But aside from my mental instability right now, I've always hated animal abuse. My mom, sister, and I volunteer at a horse rescue and the humane society. That's... taxing, because it's so hard for me to see an animal that's been abused or neglected, but I'd feel worse if I didn't do it. Animals know who love them. I've seen horrible things happen to a horse, but if they get used to you and realize you're not going to harm them, they just love you unconditionally for it. I'm actually getting a lump in my throat just typing this... I need to go back to the horse rescue *soon*.

Anyway... whatever deity there may be and the entire Earth bless you all for loving animals.

The Following User Says Thank You to kalishreya For This Useful Post:
ceaserlucy (11-03-2010)
Old 03-19-2007, 04:07 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Therag HB User

Animals can hurt you physicaly but not emotionaly.

In 2003 my beloved cat who I had grown up with died and I cried solidly for 2 days. I hate people who have the attitiude that it's 'only an animal' they don't understand how close a a pet is to it's owner, it's not just a pet but it's a family member! My cat was nearly always by my side, more like a dog really, and I miss her curling up in my lap.

If anyone hurt my cats in any way I swear I would kill them!

The following user gives a hug of support to Therag:
ceaserlucy (11-03-2010)
Old 04-04-2007, 08:59 AM   #11
(male)

crow22 HB User

i feel very much the same way about crulty to animals. i have always owned a dog, Ben at the moment! i am closer to him that anyone ever, i spent more time with Ben than any person. i have got myself into trouble with the police a few times for retaliating at those who live around me for the way they are, i can honestly say i love him.

on the other hand i worked in a chicken factory for 2yrs and then a slaughter house with pigs for 5yrs and hunted rabbits many times with no trouble what so ever.
sorry if it afends anyone, its just the way it is!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to crow22:
ceaserlucy (11-03-2010)
Old 04-06-2007, 06:14 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

I really appreciate the animal-loving input here. Thanks.

Crow, I eat meat. I think hunting and slaughtering for food is entirely different than this incident I heard about, though I probly couldn't do that unless I was starving in the woods and even then, I just don't know.

This thing that I heard about was something that was deliberate murder of animals for spectacle. That's what shocked me so bad and I don't ever foresee a time in my life when this kind of thing won't do that to me.

But I'm not alone in these feelings and that's very helpful to know.

The Following User Says Thank You to opple For This Useful Post:
ceaserlucy (11-03-2010)
Old 04-06-2007, 06:52 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dapple View Post
This thing that I heard about was something that was deliberate murder of animals for spectacle. That's what shocked me so bad and I don't ever foresee a time in my life when this kind of thing won't do that to me.
Be glad it shocked you. It should. You don't want to ever be so cold and uncompassionate that it doesn't shock you. It means you care. Don't ever stop caring.

Closed Thread