It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

zeyavia HB User
xanax vs. lexapro (benzo vs. anti-depressant)

i dont know what to do
i have both
taken the xanax LOVE IT...only taking one a day now .25 might go to two a day...they help me
should i start the lex or go with the xanax
dr. said xanax shouldnt be used long term BUT yet i know many ppl he prescribes it to LONG TERM...
i just dont know what to do

Old 07-03-2007, 04:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: xanax vs. lexapro (benzo vs. anti-depressant)

xanax is habit forming and very quickly you need to up the dosage to get the same effect. Antidepressants are designed for long term use

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-03-2007, 04:39 PM   #3
(female)

zeyavia HB User

well can i use the xanax UNTIL im ready to start the lexapro...i just cant get the courage up to use it just yet...
IM SCARED...
i dont know...but even ppl who take anti-depressants still take a benzo usually...so i mean i dont know what the dif. is
better to be on one thing or two ya know...?

Old 07-03-2007, 05:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

Whatever you do, do not stop taking xanax cold turkey.. It's really dangerous, tell your doctor before getting off.

I've been on xanax for 2 years now and stayed at the same mgs so that is possible. I also took them with anti depressant (Prozac and Lexapro)..

Of course I'm no doctor so I suggest you give him a call..

Good Luck!

Old 07-03-2007, 05:29 PM   #5
(female)

zeyavia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee-nah View Post
Whatever you do, do not stop taking xanax cold turkey.. It's really dangerous, tell your doctor before getting off.

I've been on xanax for 2 years now and stayed at the same mgs so that is possible. I also took them with anti depressant (Prozac and Lexapro)..

Of course I'm no doctor so I suggest you give him a call..

Good Luck!
as of now im ok cause i havent been taking it everyday...the most i have ever taken is two days in a row at .25 mg. ONCE so im not at that withdrawl phase as of yet

Old 07-03-2007, 06:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Dee-nah HB User

Hey your from PA, me too!

Hope everything works out for you, keep me posted!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:23 PM   #7
(female)

jgore HB User

Lexapro is an anti-depressant med. Xanax is an anti-anxiety med. Which do you need???

I've been taking Xanax .25/day (1/2 am and 1/2 pm) since my diagnosis 12/12/06. I'm pretty prone to anxiety; and it keeps me from wringing my hands and pacing the floor. Good stuff.

The nurse practitioner at my oncologist prescribed Lexapro a few months back. When I saw her on that day I was sick (chest & head congestion). I was also feeling pretty bad from chemo treatments (hurt a lot). The combination had me more than a bit down in the dumps. She read that as depression and wrote a script for Lexapro. I told her that I had never fared well with anti-depressants but she assured me this was the new and improved anti-depressant. At the time, I was being pretty authoritarian submissive, so I filled the script and took it per script for about 5 days. I made me feel just like all the other anti-depressants I've tried in the last umpty-ump years---lousy.

I'm sure there are lots of people who fare well with Lexapro and other anti-depressants, I'm just not one of them. But the bottom line here for me is: I have cancer, not depression. The two don't necessarily go hand-in-hand.

I intend to keep taking Xanax as long as my doctor will continue to prescribe it.

jg

Old 07-03-2007, 08:31 PM   #8
(female)

zeyavia HB User

first of all i wish you well with your cancer
basically i have anxiety...that is my major issue but i get depressed due to it ya know...they say lexapro can help with the anxiety but i dont know if i have enough courage to find out
i am also scared my dr. will cut me off from the xanax...i talked to him and told him it helped me but HE REALLY wanted me to try the lex...but then said if the xanax is working that is all that matters
half of a .25 didnt do much for me so i have been taking the whole pill the past two days and it helps ALOT..might add another later in the evening...i dont know...
i do obsess ALOT...and they say the lex can help with that to

Old 07-04-2007, 08:54 AM   #9
(female)

Myspirit4 HB User
Cool Re: xanax vs. lexapro (benzo vs. anti-depressant)

Hi all,

I have had similar thoughts on this as well. Xanax (1) .25mg tablet, 3-4 times a week seemed to quell my anxiety but I was so afraid of becoming addicted to it despite my limited usage, that I visited my doctor and went on Lexapro 10mg. back in Oct. '06. Initially the Lexapro sent my anxiety thru the roof! I was so anxious I did nothing but pace and thought I would die. At this time I wasn't using the Xanax in conjunction with it at all, but soon was instructed to take .25mg. tab, 3 times a day which I did for about a week, until the Lexapro started to kick in. While on Lexapro there have been days when I've taken a half of a .25 mg tablet but that is a rarity. Since starting the Lexapro, I have gained almost 10 pounds and have begun, in the last couple of months, to lose alot of hair...I have been feeling good, things are going well so I've begun to wean off the Lexapro which has been going fine so far.
I'm down to 5mg. and plan to be off it by Aug. 4th. As far as the Xanax vs. Lexapro debate, from my own personal experience, I think the Xanax helped me more in that it just made me feel "normal".... the Lexapro put me in somewhat of a brain fog and I almost felt my emotions shut down. I've stockpiled my Xanax and take it so rarely these days in such small doses that I think I'll take that as needed.

Old 07-04-2007, 09:55 AM   #10
(female)

zeyavia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myspirit4 View Post
Hi all,

I have had similar thoughts on this as well. Xanax (1) .25mg tablet, 3-4 times a week seemed to quell my anxiety but I was so afraid of becoming addicted to it despite my limited usage, that I visited my doctor and went on Lexapro 10mg. back in Oct. '06. Initially the Lexapro sent my anxiety thru the roof! I was so anxious I did nothing but pace and thought I would die. At this time I wasn't using the Xanax in conjunction with it at all, but soon was instructed to take .25mg. tab, 3 times a day which I did for about a week, until the Lexapro started to kick in. While on Lexapro there have been days when I've taken a half of a .25 mg tablet but that is a rarity. Since starting the Lexapro, I have gained almost 10 pounds and have begun, in the last couple of months, to lose alot of hair...I have been feeling good, things are going well so I've begun to wean off the Lexapro which has been going fine so far.
I'm down to 5mg. and plan to be off it by Aug. 4th. As far as the Xanax vs. Lexapro debate, from my own personal experience, I think the Xanax helped me more in that it just made me feel "normal".... the Lexapro put me in somewhat of a brain fog and I almost felt my emotions shut down. I've stockpiled my Xanax and take it so rarely these days in such small doses that I think I'll take that as needed.
ive never been on lex so i cant really say but i do agree that the xanax makes me feel normal...i mean i dont wanna get addicted and i havent taken it more than two days in a row EXCEPT FOR TODAY...is the third day
i tried to go without it but my daughter was stressing me out (she is 4) and i felt dizzy and just anxious so i had to take one...and i felt badly bout it but im like what else can i do
the lex has worked for many ppl and i guess i can do like you and give it a try...and if it works GREAT...if not it wont HARM ME...correct???
did you have any side effects???when you first started...i can handle ten pounds but no more of a gain...the other thing is im gonna start at 1/4 of a pill and work my way up if i start at all

Old 07-04-2007, 10:13 AM   #11
(female)

Myspirit4 HB User

The only side effects I really had initially was that it made my anxiety worse until it started working, though I have noticed in the last couple/few months that my hair is really falling out and I seem to be sweaty and previously was never one to sweat at all. Don't feel bad about taking a small dose of Xanax is what my doctor told me...if it helps, take it. I think, like me, you are so aware of your usage and are concerned about becoming dependent on it that you will try other avenues if you feel you're relying on it too much for your own comfort. I don't plan trying another medication...I have been listening to and practicing guided meditation CD's and they have helped tremendously! Breathing exercises and repeating positive, powerful messages to myself when I feel panic coming on has been so, so helpful.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:35 AM   #12
(female)

zeyavia HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myspirit4 View Post
The only side effects I really had initially was that it made my anxiety worse until it started working, though I have noticed in the last couple/few months that my hair is really falling out and I seem to be sweaty and previously was never one to sweat at all. Don't feel bad about taking a small dose of Xanax is what my doctor told me...if it helps, take it. I think, like me, you are so aware of your usage and are concerned about becoming dependent on it that you will try other avenues if you feel you're relying on it too much for your own comfort. I don't plan trying another medication...I have been listening to and practicing guided meditation CD's and they have helped tremendously! Breathing exercises and repeating positive, powerful messages to myself when I feel panic coming on has been so, so helpful.
i dont wanna have worse anxiety...but i guess if i have the xanax then ill be ok
was it all day long type of thing or just when you had an attack it was much worse????
i def. need something...i really feel i have some imbalance of some type
i dont think normal thoughts...i obsess...today i bought two waters cause the one i opened and it seemed to open too easily so i got paranoid and the other looked like it has stuff floating in it...I KNOW THAT ISNT NORMAL NOTHING WAS WRONG WITH THE WATERS but to me i cant take that chance so i bought another until i was happy and felt safe with that one
FOR THAT i need some type of anti depressant ...guess lexapro...
the xanax can only do so much

Old 07-04-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
(female)

Myspirit4 HB User

Because my anxiety got worse, that doesn't necessarily mean yours will...the anxiety got worse the day I started it. I just had this feeling like "the plane is going to crash" and though I would sleep great at night, but would wake up with my hands and feet sweating and I just felt like I was in a plane that was going down....it was awful. I tried to walk outdoors but found I could barely walk, but pushed forward anyway and it did help.
About the water...I can understand that...I have done things like that in the past, way before I had panic attacks/anxiety. I think especially in our times now with the things that happen in the world, we find ourselves being over-cautious about things like that. To me that is a total rational concern.
My anxiety started a year after moving 800 miles from home two years after my divorce...my dog died, I had one whack-job boss after another and was miserably homesick despite having wanted a new start somewhere totally different from where I was from...which was so out of character for me, but I did it anyway. Needless to say, I've moved back and do feel better!

Old 07-04-2007, 11:06 AM   #14
(female)

zeyavia HB User

yeah im overly paranoid though
i mean if im at work and i go the bathroom and leave my drink out...BEHIND the counter...i still wont feel comfy drinking it...i just am so paranoid someone put something in my drink
but then again i have had that happen to me before so maybe that is why...all our fears are founded i guess
so what would you suggest
ride it out with the xanax for awhile or start the lexapro...like i said im gonna start at a small dose
what dosage did you start at
the xanax just makes me feel LEVELED out if the lex can do that then that would be great...but i dont know...i dont wanna have to get worse before i get better...its a tough call
lots of ppl i think get more anxiety after taking anti depressants cause they are nervous bout it
i know first time i took a xanax i freaked out...even the second and third
im just not getting used to it and know it wont hurt me at my small dose
i took it like two hours ago and feel so good right now...
ppl dont understand...they think its a high but its not...its just like how you USED to feel before all this started
FEELING NORMAL TO US ...IS LIKE A HIGH I GUESS...lol

Old 07-04-2007, 11:28 AM   #15
(female)

Myspirit4 HB User

I would talk to your doctor and see what he/she suggests. I didn't find myself being paranoid so much about things like that but about my health, my family's health and I wasn't sleeping and when I would have a panic attack I would get this buzz in my head and be extremely dizzy and feel shaky, etc...one time after having a minor disagreement on the phone with someone the buzz was so bad I ran outside trying to escape it. Afterwards, my entire body was shaking and I couldn't stop it on my own so I took a Xanax and wha-la!, the shaking stopped. Its true...I can't imagine feeling "high" on Xanax, it just makes me feel myself again! I compare it to going from choppy waters to a calm, motionless lake.
Try doing some meditation when you can...relax, breathe from your belly and tell yourself that you will get stronger and better everyday as you practice this exercise...I only started doing it recently and it has been a big, big help.
I felt a panic attack coming on at work the other day and could feel my arms and face getting all tingly and I went into the bathroom and just took deep breaths and talked myself out of it. It worked, I was thrilled not have reached for a Xanax!

Closed Thread