It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 10:03 AM   #1
(female)

mel66 HB User
Depressed Teenager - HELP!

I don't know what to do. My son is 14 and over the last 3 weeks has been self-harming. I have found a diary which is full of suicidal and depressed writing. It is also the scene of his first unrequited love - a girl he is in love with and who does not know/reciprocate. I want him to have concelling (as does he in his latest entry). How do I bring this into converstion without letting him know I have abused his privacy. I don't know anyone who has gone through this with a child - he is also having VERY violent thoughts about others. Please help with advice.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
(female)

TopamaxKillsMe HB User
Re: Depressed Teenager - HELP!

I'm sorry that you're going through this. FIrst off, do not let him know you read his diary. Back when I was a kid, I remember my mother read my diary and i felt betrayed and it ruined my relationship with her for years and years. That is something you need to just keep to yourself. You know what he's going through, you know he needs help.

Tell him that you sense he is troubled and you're concerned. Try to get him to talk. Ask him out for dinner. See if you can get him to see a counselor but research the counselor. I remember I couldn't stand the counselor my mother set me up with when iw as a teenager. Your son needs to TRUST his counselor. That is everything. If he doesn't, therapy isn't going to work. Look into a Jungian therapist if you can. They do dream therapy and can offer great insight into what is at the root of your son's problems. I saw a Jungian therapist later in life and I cannot tell you how much he helped me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread