It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2007, 09:30 AM   #1
(female)

reyrey71 HB User
What could this be - mental illness?

If this makes any sense

For the longest time I have had a hard time comprehending what people are saying to me. I get really overwhelmed and have a hard time processing what was said to me. Which leads to me making poor choices. Another example is say I am talking to two people and I really need to concentrate on whats being said I have hard time listening and retaining what was said. What the heck could this be?

Old 10-05-2007, 06:24 AM   #2
(male)

Nexis HB User
Re: What could this be - mental illness?

It could be a concentration condition like ADD or Asperger's syndrome have a hard time with 'context" and or "semantics" in conversations yet not reading...

Also it could be a central processing conditions.

Speech-Pathologists help people work on processing skills and social skills as well...

Do you get along with people? Could you specify examples or other related symptoms?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2007, 01:40 PM   #3
(female)

reyrey71 HB User

Do you get along with people? Could you specify examples or other related symptoms?

In general I get get along with people. I do have social anxiety which makes it really hard for me to to be in a group of people. I wind up having a panic attack.

Examples of the symptoms:

Ok last month I had to undergo dental surgery (full mouth extractions) When the doctors(dentist/oral surgeon/anasthesia) were talking to me about everything. I heard everything they were saying but its like I zoned out and had a hard time following what they were saying. I would try and concentrate harder to understand but still couldn't. It's like I would retain like bits and pieces of what was said. I would wind up asking my roomie who went with me on the appointment what did they say again because I could not remember or it was really fuzzy what I did recall.

Old 10-05-2007, 05:06 PM   #4
(male)

Nexis HB User

Do you have difficulty understanding what is said to you OR do you feel you are spacing out physically OR both at the same time?

Are you experiencing health problems? Do you feel dizzy? Do have any learning difficulties because of this? How is your academic history?

What do you friends and family say about you spacing out or other symptoms?

Have you checked out Asperger's Syndrome or/and ADD? It may not be either one yet keep writing more examples and someone should see a pattern in your condition and advice you...

Last edited by Nexis; 10-05-2007 at 05:07 PM.

Old 10-05-2007, 07:01 PM   #5
(female)

reyrey71 HB User

Do you have difficulty understanding what is said to you OR do you feel you are spacing out physically OR both at the same time?

Both

I just had a physical last month before my surgery. Had a full exam and blood work and all is fine. Phyically fit - but have social anxiety and panic disorder w/agoraphobia. I get dizzy sometimes mostly because I havent had anything to eat. Have a little bit to eat and I'm fine again. No learning disabilties that I know of. I did well in school. I however had a big problem with my reading comprenhension. Just like how I don't understand when people are talking to me sometimes its the same with reading. I like sometime I feel like I am just skimming over the words before me not quite gasping what the heck its about. I have to go back and reread a bunch of times till I finally get it.

I really don't have much to do with my family these days so don't talk to them about it. As for my friends I really don't say anything to them because I tried explaining my social anxiety disorder to them. I have lost many friends because they claimed they understood my disorder but at same time would get mad if I didn't go out with them somewhere. My room-mate on other hand is pretty cool about this stuff. She thinks it could be ADD. I looked at one of the ADD sites and alot of what she told me I do is listed as the symptoms.

I have a upcoming appointment with my P-doc and I will bring it up and take it from there.

Rey

Old 10-05-2007, 11:08 PM   #6
(male)

Nexis HB User

OK please look up "Semantic-Pragmatic Disorder (SPD)".

Let us know if the comprehension difficulties could be "SPD".

Second, do you feel you are having a hypoglycemic attack when dizzy or spacing out?

Even though you are fit, you could have prediabetes and can only be tested by an "Oral Glucose Test". There may be too much insulin in your body, and that will drop your sugar and make you feel dizzy.

OR, your social anxiety/ social phobia could be doing this too.
Are you getting help for this? Please let us know, OR post in the Anxiety section and people can help you there.

If you can pinpoint where your social anxiety is coming from, perhaps childhood trauma, shyness, past bullying, low-self esteem, biological, other factors, this is something to explore.

You should be aware what is triggering your anxiety, so you may lessen attacks and cultivate your awareness to manage the anxiety. If you don't know where its coming from please do so because this is very important.

Also if you are feeling dizzy, you may not be getting enough oxygen; this can be a blocked nasal obstruction, or sleep apnea.

Old 10-06-2007, 05:15 AM   #7
(female)

reyrey71 HB User

I did a ****** search on SPD and it sounds like what I could have. Alot of the characteristic seem to fit mostly:

*have difficulty following conversations or stories
*have difficulty extracting the key points from a conversation or story; they tend to get lost in the details.

I had a glucose fasting test in beginning of the year. That came back normal. I just think the dizziness is from not eating when I should.

I been seeking treatment for for my SA/PA since 1998. I been on so many different meds and various therpy (CBT) Right now I am only taking klonapin when needed not in therapy anymore. I am disabled due to this and it's really hard to get the proper treatment on a limited income

I can pretty much pinpoint where the anxiety came from. I grew up in a dysfunctional home. My father was an alcoholic and would hit my mom all the time. It went on for 14 yrs till he finally left. I seen way too much a child shouldn't seen in those yrs. I recall being really nervous and scared most of the time. Wetting the bed - grinding my teeth ( reason I needed a all my teeth extracted) After my father left my mom pretty much drew inward and really didn't talk to me. I would try and talk to her and she would just ignore me. That made me really angry and frustrated living in same house and feeling so isolated and lonely. I know now all those yrs of her being abused it just her down shutdown emotionally. Then another thing she liked to do was keep me in house not allow me out it was forbidden. I just wanted to hang out with my friends or go catch a movie with them. She wasn't having that and would make my life in that house harder than it was already. It was boring staying in that house with no one to talk to - the loneliness really got me and that where drugs came in to dull the pain. I think by my mom keeping me in it really messed with me developing social skills and I also think she was afraid she was going to lose me - like how my father left (but in my mind that was best thing) I was also sexually abused as a child. So i really have a hard time trusting people in general. What really brought my anxiety out into the light was when my mom passed away in 1996. I was suppose to pick her up to take her to a doctors appointment she had been really sick. I walked in the house heard the alarm clock going off and I first thought it must be the sleeping pills she was taking that she didnt get up. I walk in the room turn the clock off and try to wake her up. I touched her hand and it was ice cold and stiff I flew back 10 feet. I called EMS and there was nothing they could do she had passed away during the night. She died of COPD - Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disorder. After that I started experience panic attacks. In 98 I had to quit work it was so bad and havent been back to work since.

I don't know what exactly trigger the anxiety. I can be having a wondeful day and it hits me. When it does I do the best I can to keep myself relaxed - may it be listen to music - take a bath. Then try and put things into prospective and challenge the thoughts that are rushing through my head. Like when my heart is pounding and my 1st thought is I am having a heart attack - I tell myself this will pass its just my anxiety i'm not going to die - maybe not the best coping techniques but has saved my but a few times

Old 10-06-2007, 06:04 AM   #8
(male)

Nexis HB User

Are you seeking help to build your self-confidence and social skills?

The relationship boards can help.

With Semantics Pragmatic Disorder, a Speech Pathologist specializes in this. Many with Asperger's syndrome have this condition, so you can try the Asperger's board and see how people are deal/overcome SPD.

What did the doctor say about having a untriggered panic attack? Do you have Post Tramatic Stress Disorder as well? Due to your childhood and upbringing and witnessing the abuse as a child, coupled with the sexual abuse, I came with the PTSD conclusion.

I am sorry all you had to go through, that is alot to experience on your own, and please seek professional help that you can have access to lead a healthier life.

Please try to post on the Anxiety Board because this is the first step to recovery.

Old 10-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #9
(female)

worthless88 HB User

This may not be at all what you are experiencing but because you have social anxiety it may be just a symptom of that and not another condition. At times I will hear what people are saying but can't seem to process it or forget parts of it. For example if I am at work and they tell me to do something I may leave out an important part of what they said to me and totally screw up. I know I have dysthymia and general anxiety and have not been diagnosed with this yet but probably a social phobia. I am unemployed right now so I don't have the money to see a doctor. But hopefully this is just part of your social anxiety and nothing more.

Closed Thread