It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2008, 03:50 PM   #1
(female)

eire08 HB User
Stay length

how long do people usually stay in hospital when they've agreed to go into hospital with bi polar like symptoms. The hospital arent telling us anything shes been in almost two weeks and today rang me really wanting to go home. She things that everyone else in there are 'nutcases' and she needs to get out shes angry. Is this a part of recovery? Up until now she really really seemed to be improving

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 04:11 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Stay lenght

There are no general guidelines to determine how long a hospital stay will last. The criteria they look at is 1) Is the person stable 2) Do they pose a risk for themselves or others 3) Is there available support in the community.

If there has been an introduction of a new med they may be waiting to see it true effect as some of them take a while to really kick in and there also may be behaviors that are appearing during the stay that are causing some concern.

I have done a couple of long hospital stays and dealing with the staff and other patients at points seem to be a lot harder then dealing with the illness it self, mind you the illness could be the reason why relationships are difficult.

Unfortunately in this country a lot of hospital stays come down to bed availability and if someone appears to need the bed more then someone else then there discharge tends to be moved up

sorry I could not help more

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #3
(female)

eire08 HB User
Re: Stay length

Quote:
Originally Posted by trg247 View Post
There are no general guidelines to determine how long a hospital stay will last. The criteria they look at is 1) Is the person stable 2) Do they pose a risk for themselves or others 3) Is there available support in the community.

If there has been an introduction of a new med they may be waiting to see it true effect as some of them take a while to really kick in and there also may be behaviors that are appearing during the stay that are causing some concern.

I have done a couple of long hospital stays and dealing with the staff and other patients at points seem to be a lot harder then dealing with the illness it self, mind you the illness could be the reason why relationships are difficult.

Unfortunately in this country a lot of hospital stays come down to bed availability and if someone appears to need the bed more then someone else then there discharge tends to be moved up

sorry I could not help more

take care
trg247
Thanks for your reply, the maddening part is the hospital will tell us nothing ie is sh improving getting worse etc. Will she be worse off if she leaves then when she went in if she leaves in, wil she stop asking to come home? Its all so hard to understand and accept when no one will tell us anything.

Old 01-16-2008, 06:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

I am going to assume your daughter is over 18 as that is when patient confidentiality really cuts off the parents. The only way to get around the lack of information is that your daughter needs to request from her doctor and the staff to share information with you or else legally they are not allowed to tell you at least that is how it works here. Different countries do have different laws so it might be different there.

Both of my hospital stays I checked myself out basically, the first time I manipulated the doctor to sign the form to release me the second time I had the doctor admit the hospital was not in a position nor qualified for that matter to treat me so there was no point in me staying there. The first time was a mistake as I was in no position to be responsible for myself and the next crash proved it. The last time I believe I did the right thing as I was not getting any better in the hospital and the enviroment was beginning to be overwhelming. It is a gamble when you sign yourself out. Getting out of the hospital alone especially after you been there awhile is hard enough as your so use to other people making decisions for you and telling you what to do.

Bipolar is a tricky disorder and it takes a bit to find the right meds at the right levels that will enable the person to live a normal life unfortunately like all mental meds there are no guarantees that the med will work so there is a lot of trial and error which takes time. A lot of the mood stabilizers need to be within a certain range to be effective or else they are useless or close to it and again it takes awhile to hit the right level and maintaining it. Nothing in mental health happens for the positive quickly every thing seems to come down to waiting

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 01-17-2008, 04:23 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

isitme HB Userisitme HB User

Have you visited her? You could probably assess her better than the doctors, as you know what her 'normal self' is. It will probably take a while for her to accept that she does have problems of a mental nature. Not something I accepted readily at all!

Old 01-23-2008, 12:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cinemachick HB User

I usually stay a week at a time. Usually, my insurance company kicks me out even before I am fully recovered.

Closed Thread