It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2008, 10:49 PM   #1
(male)

spigli1 HB User
Head shakes uncontrollably while speaking in groups

Over the past 3-4 years, I have been plagued by uncontrollable shaking of my head while speaking to groups or speaking to important people (job interviews, etc.). Along with this, I have some type of twitch in my neck. The twitch is voluntary, but if I choose not to twist or jerk my neck that is all that I will think about until I do it......so I end up twisting my neck to alleviate this.

I have been going to a psychologist and he has me taking Zoloft along with Buspirone (or Buspar). This has seemed to help a little with the shaking when speaking to groups or giving presentations. No help with the neck twitching problem.

I really don't understand what is going on and it has totally messed up my life. When doctors hear of the head shaking uncontrollably while speaking to a number of people they automatically throw out the anxiety thing......this doesn't seem to add up with me because I honestly couldn't care less what others think of me. Anyway, I'd appreciate any help that you may be able to give.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 09:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Head shakes uncontrollably while speaking in groups

Hi, you might not care about what others think of you but how do you think of yourself?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2008, 08:27 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User

Hi.....

If it isn't what Sannah is saying, consider a "tic" disorder.....

This is a possibility, I think.....

Lil

Old 08-30-2010, 06:23 PM   #4
(male)

Anticip44 HB User

Im having the exact same problem!!....its been happening for 2 years now and when i went to the doctor i was told it was social phobia.Does it just happen to you when your speaking though? I find it happens when im sitting in a group or when im talking to anyone im not 100% comfortable around. Its very irritating....my problem is that i feel like it looks wierd to other people when it happens and i get embarassed. My head just feels like its automatically twitching from left to right or up and down and the only way ive found of preventing it is leaning my head on my hand which isnt always appropriate.

Im so relieved to find someone else with this problem...nobody understands me when i explain it which is irritating. Sorry for rambling im just relieved to find someone with the same problem.

Closed Thread