It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User
Unhappy Re: My Psychosis and OCD, Please Help Me!

I was wondering at what age did you notice that you were having these issues? My son is almost six and having some problems and I was hoping someone who has experienced this could help me. What signs am I looking for? We've been through the ringer already with a austism scare when he was an infant/toddler and now he is experiencing social problems in school and doing some odd things like acting out cartoons and video games right in the middle of class. I've seen stopped allowing the video games and it's gotten worse not better.Please help me help my son.

Thanks in advance
I already have an appointment for an eval.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User
Wink Re: My Psychosis and OCD, Please Help Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liamsmom View Post
I was wondering at what age did you notice that you were having these issues? My son is almost six and having some problems and I was hoping someone who has experienced this could help me. What signs am I looking for? We've been through the ringer already with a austism scare when he was an infant/toddler and now he is experiencing social problems in school and doing some odd things like acting out cartoons and video games right in the middle of class. I've seen stopped allowing the video games and it's gotten worse not better.Please help me help my son.

Thanks in advance
I already have an appointment for an eval.
Hi Liamsmom,

I think that you are talking me, because I've posted a thread like that. I was 21 years old when I was diagnosed with OCD. Also I've had Psychosis for years, but I wasn't diagnosed with it until I was 21 years old. Does your son have OCD and Psychosis too? There are some signs to look out for like: if your son is seeing and hearing things that are not there and tells you about it. Also if your son is washing his hands and body too much, washing too much is a sign of OCD. Seeing and hearing things that are not there is a sign of Psychosis. These are signs to watch for, and if you see them, you really need to get your son some professional help.

Anyway I am glad that your son has an appointment for a evaluation. Let me know how the evaluation went, I want to know.

I hope that this post is helpful to you. Take care and good luck! Let me know how your son is doing. I understand what you and your son are going through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2008, 07:40 PM   #3
(female)

LKelly8 HB User
Re: My Psychosis and OCD, Please Help Me!

If your son's OCD came on suddenly after a strep infection you might consider P.A.N.D.A.S (Pediatric Autoimmune Neuropsychiatric Disorders Associated with Strep)

*edited*

Good luck, I hope the eval went well.

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 02-29-2008 at 07:54 PM. Reason: do not post links to other websites

Old 03-03-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi, if I remember correctly your son has allergies too? I know one thing that causes anxiety in children is a parent who is inhibited from taking control for one reason or another. Having a parent in control is very comforting for a child. Do you have anxiety?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

My son doesn't seem to have OCD in the traditional sense but he does get focused on a particular thing for example he'll like a show and talk about it alot and draw pictures about it and books etc. then when a new thing comes up he's onto that for the next several months and the last interest is left behind. As far as hearing voices he says no. He has trouble socially and I've been on top of the austism/aspergers evals. However, his teachers say he spends most of his day acting strange, I know that he's pretending to be spyro the dragon the hero character from his favorite video game. And yes there is a lot of stress and anxiety at home for the last several years so I can't say I blame for pretending to be a little purple dragon. He has sensory problems so he's says that's why he doesn't like to play with the other kids because they are too noisy so I can understand that also. He's in counseling privately and in school but nothing seems to be helping. He's in a mainstream class to help him socially but I have a meeting w/ the school on Fri and I think they are going to recopmmend a special ED class or a special school. I'm at my wits end. Mental illness runs in the family

Old 03-13-2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User

Hi....

Please don't be offended by what I'm asking....it's a complete shot in the dark.

Did you drink much alcohol while you were pregnant?

Lil

Old 03-13-2008, 05:26 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Liamsmom HB User

None taken and no I didn't. I also didn't do any drugs. During my pregnancy I took 2 sips of champagne at my sister's wedding during the toast and that's all. I did have a hard time quitting smoking I was pregnant during 9/11 in NYC it was a very stressfull frightening time but I kept to one cigarette that I smoked at 4 diffrent intervals a day. I had a normal delivery no problems and my sons apgar score was 9.

His behavior issues began around the same time as his allergies and terrible sinus infections about three years ago and has since been on anitbiotics approximately every 4-8 weeks and zyrtec and singulair. I was going to look into celiac disease and candida and we have an appointment with an ENT I'm also getting an psych eval so all bases will be covered.

Old 03-14-2008, 12:17 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Both of my daughter had personality changes with Zyrtec. I have heard of other children having them too. Whenever we take antibiotics we eat yogurt everyday to replace the normal flora which is lost.

Last edited by Sannah; 03-14-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Closed Thread