It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
(female)

Grumpy78 HB User
Exclamation Going to the psychologist

A few month ago I decided to go the the psychologist for the first time because I had the need to talk to someone.

I am not sure what the psychologist role really is but mine doesn't really seem to do much for me ....... is he supposed to guide you? Is he supposed to give you advices??

All mine does is basically listen .... and sometimes, when I come out with some stories he goes "well, it might really hurt you this situation" .. WELL, DUH!!!!!! I feel like he is not doing much .... maybe he is not really supposed to do much? Maybe he really just has to listen?

I have no idea ....... maybe I was expecting to hear some advices? But if he gave me some advice I didn't like I am sure I'd hate him for that .......

Any opinions? What does your psychologist do?

Old 03-20-2008, 07:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User
Re: Going to the psychologist

My therapists gave me insight so that I could understand my problems and then fix them. The first therapist that I went to, however, didn't tell me anything until my 5th appt. I guess she was collecting info so that she could understand me and what was going on. Do you think that you could share this concern with your therapist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #3
(female)

Grumpy78 HB User

I am not sure .... I mean, shouldn't that be his job to take this step? I have been talking for like 3 months now .... he probably knows me enough by now, I guess.

And also, he loves to focus on facts that involves himself ... if I tell him that I didn't like something he mentioned in our last session, the whole session will be focused on WHY I didn't like what he said etc ..... but besides that .... he never tries to push me to any direction, which might be ok but I don't feel he is giving me any advices .......

Although I have to say that when I started the sessions I told him that I only started seeing a therapist to talk to someone about my problems .....

So maybe he is just listening to me for that reason?

Old 03-20-2008, 09:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sannah HB UserSannah HB User

Hi, are you talking about the why you didn't like something so that you both can understand it better? I think that a person needs to bring up any issue with the therapist. I actually think that it is our job to get better and we have to use any tools available to get there.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
(female)

nanaxiu HB User
Talking Re: Going to the psychologist

hi grumpy. may be your therapist just wants to be on the safe side. because any advise he would suggest may be detrimental to your situation. or maybe it's his therapeutic style to squeeze out all the feelings that you have with your situation and along with it are the answers to your own questions. aside from talking to your therapist, self help books can also help. did for me.

and talk to people. your family, neighbors, friends... it helps a lot. good luck. hope is well and good for you,

Old 03-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Sari05 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy78 View Post
A few month ago I decided to go the the psychologist for the first time because I had the need to talk to someone.

I am not sure what the psychologist role really is but mine doesn't really seem to do much for me ....... is he supposed to guide you? Is he supposed to give you advices??

All mine does is basically listen .... and sometimes, when I come out with some stories he goes "well, it might really hurt you this situation" .. WELL, DUH!!!!!! I feel like he is not doing much .... maybe he is not really supposed to do much? Maybe he really just has to listen?

I have no idea ....... maybe I was expecting to hear some advices? But if he gave me some advice I didn't like I am sure I'd hate him for that .......

Any opinions? What does your psychologist do?
Hi Grumpy,

I agree with Shorebird, I really think that you should give CBT a try. CBT is great for therapy, it's great for Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder too. Also your Psychologist should be giving you advice, all Psychologist's and Psychiatrist's should be doing that. My Psychologist listen's to what I have to say, and then he gives me some really good advice. If your Psychologist doesn't start giving you advice, then maybe you should find a different Psychologist who can help you.

That's what I would do, I hope that this post is helpful to you. Also I hope that all is well with you. Take care and good luck!

Last edited by Sari05; 03-29-2008 at 08:24 PM.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:32 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

shorebird HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sari05 View Post
Hi Grumpy,
your Psychologist should be giving you advice, all Psychologist's and Psychiatrist's should be doing that. If your Psychologist doesn't start giving you advice, then maybe you should find a different Psychologist who can help you.
I think this is right on the money Sari!

Closed Thread