It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
(male)

lunchbox08 HB User
Long term effects of concussions

It might be a little late in the game, but I'm glad I found this discussion/board.

Ever since I was little, it seemed I was always hitting my head durring falls and crashes. But I'm 22 now, and since 2004, I've had roughly 8 or 9 concussions. My first one in 2004 was a really bad head on collision on fourwheelers on a mx track where our combined speed was around the 100mph range. I took the front bumper of the other quad straight to the helmet. After a night in the hospital, and the paramedics telling me they don't understand why I'm alive, I thought everything was fine. I started having migranes and seizures and blacking out for the next year 1/2. Things started looking up, then I began a serious of bmx/park accidents where my head became the shock absorber for my head. It wasn't until my latest crash, a 12 fall directly to my face, that I really started to notice my 'shortcomings'. Everyone over the past few years have said that I've been getting moodier and not remembering things as well... but I just figured they were wrong and I was fine. Now, 1 month after my last fall, I feel that I'm progressivly getting worse. At times I feel like my body is on autopilot and I'm just along for the ride. Last week, I forgot where I was and who I was, even though my wife was calling my name. 6 to 7 words into a sentence when I'm talking I completely forget what I was talking about. And I swear I tell people things, but according to them, I say nothing. Today for instance, I feel mildly drunk. My eyes are slightly blurry and it feels like pressure on my head, and I feel clumsy and uncoordinated. The doctor at the er said that I'd probably experience some problems, but I didn't think meant to this extent.

Glad to know that I'm not just losing my mind, so to speak, and that there are other people going through this kind of stuff due to concussions. I never knew they had long lasting effects.

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 04-08-2008 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Any post older then two months should not be resurrected

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-08-2008, 01:31 PM   #2

g jones HB User
depression

my husband is dad he just wants to sleep cant concentrate forgetting things dont wanna do any thing dont wanna wash shave ie blames me for everyhing dont know what to do with him ? how can i help him

Old 04-12-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Long term effects of concussions

there have been studies on the long term effects of concussions especially when they are frequent or another concussion occurred when the last one was healing such as in the case of athletes. The Chris Benoit story revealed that due to the number of head injuries his brain was like that of an 80 year old man with dementia but that is an extreme case.

Discuss your situation with your doctor and see if they can find a link through a cat scan or MRI
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Closed Thread