It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
(male)

florchak HB User
Lamital, Seroquel and Lorazapam Sore neck

Hello everyone,

I am taking 150 mg of Lamictal 2X a day, Lozapam 0.5 mg in morning and 1 more time a day as needed, Seroquel 25 mg at night. I just started them in Jan 08 and came off 300 mf of Lithium 2x a day.

I have a very sore neck and it seems it is turning into a tick. I constantly need to move my neck and it gets HOT. I feel like I need to move it then it gets worse and worse throughout the day. Now I wear a neck collar and it really helps to keep me from moving my neck but looks stupid. I also think I have some Forward Head Posture issues or so my Chiropractor says. He showed me some Xrays where my head is about 1.5" forward of where it should be.

Questions:
1. The neck issue seemed to appear around the onset of these meds? I just started them in December and came from Li. Anyone have same issue
2. Are any of these drugs known to cause this issue?
3. Neck tick is worse with stress or in front of audiences or bosses. Maybe that is related. I work in stressful auto industry and a few of the top guys blink a lot like they have an eye tick.

Thanks you for your comments
FL

Old 04-14-2008, 01:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Lamital, Seroquel and Lorazapam Sore neck

The only one I have taken is Seroquel which does cause muscle stiffness or rigidity. The tic is something I think you should get checked out right away as it may be a warning sign of something much bigger such as Dystonia
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2008, 08:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User

I agree with trg247....

Lil

Old 04-16-2008, 04:33 AM   #4
(male)

florchak HB User

What is dstonia....I looked it up and did not really understand. The neck pain is definityl related to stress. Focus on breathing alot I can allmost force myself to not move my neck. When I was on lithium 4 mo ago I did not have this issue. With this new batch of drugs I am running faster and harder than when I was on Li. I would say about 2X the speed but on the edge of control. Relaxing helps but I find little time for it.

Jim

Old 04-16-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User

Hi...

I'm gonna try to answer, and maybe trg247 can add something to what I say.

Cervical Dystonia (Dystonia of the neck) causes the head to rotate to one side, and pull forward, or roll toward the chest, or roll back....or a combination of the above.

Muscle pain and cramping with very little exertion are major symptoms. Trembling and spasms are common as well. Intermittant spasms can cause cramping to occur due to fatigue of the muscles.

I think this is enough of an explanation for you to go back to your Doctor, and tell him what's happening. I think you need a change in your meds.

Let us know, please.....

Lil

Old 04-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #6
(male)

florchak HB User

Tks..... So far my Dr cut my Seroquel to 12.5 mg at night. No difference in neck pain but it seems to get me to sleep about as well. Now she reduced my Lamicatal to 100 mg in the morning from 150 mg. We will see if that helps. I have found that really reducing my stress helps. I need to focus on breathing and relaxation. I think my new med plan has me running faster with more stress.

As for the Dystonia I do not have the symptoms like muscle spasms. I think my stress level is a huge part of this as the neck muscle seems like a nervous habit like bitting my nails which has gotten worse with the new meds to.

Keep the suggestions coming, I will make an apt with my family dr.

Jim

Old 04-16-2008, 04:56 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Pri Lily HB User

Hi

Medication can cause Dystonia....

Lil

Old 04-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #8
(male)

florchak HB User

My Dr's think I have Dystonia. Hopefully I have caught it in time (used for 5 mo) I have read that it can be irreversible. They may have me see a neurologist if it does not stop after a treatment of cogentin

First, thank you for the guidance. Do you have any other suggestions?

Also, I found a letter from the FDA to the maker of Seroquel. Specificallu warning then that the MUST inform people of the risks of Dystonia. I am not a litegis person but has anyone tried to sure these bastards? If so who do you talk to? Who is the best?

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited by mentalhealth mod; 04-17-2008 at 09:25 AM. Reason: do not post outside links

Old 04-17-2008, 09:45 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User

Hopefully it was caught in time and the new med will reverse the effects.

There are class lawsuits on pretty much every drug all over the place and I would imagine that would be the best avenue to take.

take care
trg247
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 04-18-2008, 08:54 PM   #10
(male)

florchak HB User

UPDATE: The family Dr also thinks I have cervical dystonia and is having me see a neurologist MONDAY. What will they do? Any testing I should know about or ask for?

Thanks!!

Closed Thread