It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-02-2008, 03:23 PM   #1
(female)

weetracy HB User
Angry How to convince a psychiatrist they are wrong???

Does anybody have any ideas on how to convince my doctor that I've managed to diagnose myself!! I've suffered years of pain because I had "untreatable BPD" Now, after 10 years and plenty of research (on my own) I have come to the conclusion that I am Bipolar II. My doctor will not believe me, I was put out of a mental hospital for TRYING to commit suicide. I have been left completely on my own. I am only 29 years old and have a 9 year old son, if I could get a proper diagnosis and treatment I could probably live a normal, happy life. I've already changed my doctor hoping for better results but with no luck. What do I do?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-10-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
(female)

Sherbear38 HB User
Re: How to convince a psychiatrist they are wrong???

Hi Weetracie - Can you try another doc, but without transferring any records? Like your a new patient, don't know whats wrong, but then give him or her the symptoms that you have diagnosed yourself with? I know it is frustrating trying new docs all the time, but sometimes you really gotta fight for yourself. Convincing a psychiatrist that he/she is wrong, is really going to be difficult. At least in my experience, they are always right, no matter what, and if they are wrong they won't admit it, for several reasons. Good luck!! Sherbear38

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2008, 06:22 AM   #3
(female)

weetracy HB User

Hi Sherbear, thanks for the reply. Here in the UK we dont get to pick our doctors if your with the National Health service (which I am) I cant afford to go private. This all means that I can ask for another doctor but they all work for the same organisation so in turn means they all see the same notes. If I keep asking to see another doctor then another etc. I will just be seen as a trouble maker!! You are SO right though, it is REALLY frustrating, why are these people so arrogant as to believe that THEY know my mind, my emotions, my head better than I do??!!!! x

Old 08-20-2008, 05:29 AM   #4
(female)

SpicyGirl82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetracy View Post
Hi Sherbear, thanks for the reply. Here in the UK we dont get to pick our doctors if your with the National Health service (which I am) I cant afford to go private. This all means that I can ask for another doctor but they all work for the same organisation so in turn means they all see the same notes. If I keep asking to see another doctor then another etc. I will just be seen as a trouble maker!! You are SO right though, it is REALLY frustrating, why are these people so arrogant as to believe that THEY know my mind, my emotions, my head better than I do??!!!! x
I suppose you could ask for a new evaluation of your symptoms and such. That way he/she might come to a new diagnosis. Anyway, good luck!

Closed Thread