It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-14-2008, 11:23 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User
Severe memory loss at 21

Hi,

I'm suffering from severe memory loss at age 21 like the title says. I am on one medication for schizophrenia, abilify. I've been on different ones before, one time I was on two meds at the same time for a while. I started taking them about a year to two years ago. I'm suffering from short term and long term memory loss. Both are becoming an every day issue for me. Here's a few examples:

I'm forgetting where I place things within minutes after setting them down, like cups I'm drinking out of, or my cell phone, any object.

I'm forgetting to do chores around the house the same day I was told to do so.

When I'm driving and turn my head away I don't remember what I saw in front of me, like I can't save a mental image of the vehicle in front of me. I've been in 2 car accidents already, both of those my fault due to what I just described. Luckily, they were not severe accidents.

Cannot remember one line of what I read when I'm finished reading at least a paragraph.

----------------------------------

It's getting bad as time goes by. I'm really worried about myself. I'm worried how my memory is going to be as I get older. I've been suffering from this for about a year now I believe, don't remember when I first started this but it's been a while I know that for sure.

Can someone please fill me in as to what might be going on with me or what it might be and what I can do? Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #2
(female)

princessfreida HB User
Re: Severe memory loss at 21

I had this problem when I was 21 and was recently diagnosed as having dissociative amnesia... do a search for symptoms of it and see what ya find, I don't remember any of my childhood before age 14 and very little that has happened since.

Last edited by princessfreida; 10-17-2008 at 07:51 PM.

Old 10-29-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Re: Severe memory loss at 21

Hi Junior77,
I know this reply is a little late from when you first posted but I had to let you know that memory loss was one of the most horrible symptoms I had while taking a drug call lamictal. I was rx'd it for my bipolar.

I already was having difficult with my memory to begin with and never thought it would get worst, but low and behold, when I stopped taking the lamictal because of other horrible side effects I was suffering while on it, that's when I found out it was the lamictal that was making my memory worst!
I know nothing MORE frustrating than not being able to remember common grade school words or trying to remember what I saw on a t.v. commercial for a new movie or a title of books, or names, period!
I couldnt' even finish a sentence while conversing with people because all I did was "word search". I couldn't remember common words to talk. I thought I was getting alzheimers disease and was even sent by my family dr. to a neurologist to see if there was something wrong with my brain.
what a JOKE! The dr. I saw humiliated me and didn't take me seriously.

not until I stopped taking the lamictal did my memory go back to the way it was before. it may not be 100% accurate, but at least it's not like it was while taking that drug!

I think you should discuss the problem you're having with the dr. who initially prescribed you the medication.

I was JUST prescribed "abilify the other day and was very hesitant on filling it. but because my moods have been so horrible and i"m suffering so terribly, I went and filled it today. It may not even be the abilify that's effecting your memory but as I suggested above, it's always safe to check with your doctor about what's going on with your memory.

Best Wishes,

Linda

Closed Thread