It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 07:49 PM   #1
(female)

Reptile HB User
Unsocial- What can I do?

I always feel awkward talking about my problems, but here it goes:

My sophomore year of high school seemed to be the turning point- and not for the better. Everyday I would sit in the library during my lunch period. It wasn't because I had to finish something, or study. It was because I didn't feel comfortable sitting with people. It felt like no one wanted to be around me so, I isolated myself.

My Junior year was a bit better, I was still uncomfortable, but I did manage to feel comfortable enough to sit with people.

And now, the my senior year, is not so good again. I don't want to be bothered by anyone. I find myself either highly irritated and short-tempered with people, or anxious around them. I stay in the library, I keep to myself in class to avoid conversation. If I know a friend goes a certain route after class, I go another to avoid them. I even dropped a class because a certain person annoyed me.

People annoy be very easily. If they say a certain thing, or do something, and I don't like it, I no longer want to have anything to do with them.

If I do something that I think is awkward, I feel like everyone is watching (or thinking) about how odd I am. If someone says something to me or looks at me a certain way, I automatically take it as they do not like me and they don't want to be anywhere near me.

I know this is a horrible trait. When I'm alone, I can sit back and really see how irrational some things I think and feel are.

A part of me wants loose these unsocial feelings. But another part of me doesn't even want to bother with being social. I don't even understand myself!

I have very few friends, and no one that I'm really close to. I feel that I am too different and have too different of beliefs from everyone around me to really say what I feel or to even have a real conversation with. I think that this makes me have an imaginary "companion" who I can talk to (I posted in the other topic about this). If only for a little while, "he" makes me feel more comfortable- if someone makes me made, I create an imaginary situation where "he" deals with it. It sounds quite odd, perhaps crazy, but I think it goes back to me not feeling comfortable around anyone else. :/

Is this some sort of personality disorder, or is all of this (even getting easily annoyed) all some sort of anxiety disorder?

I am scheduled to see a psychiatrist about another problem- possible depression.
My appetite is nonexistent (I only eat because I know I have to) and I've lost a few pounds because of that, I continuously feel down, empty, and flat, I have no motivation or energy, and I just want to be left alone. I'm also have problems consternating.

I don't know if my social problems are related to this possible depression- this "down" feeling is more recent, since about June of last year. My social problems have been going on since my sophomore year.

I have a couple of week till I go to see the psychiatrist. I'll try to talk to him about my social problems as well, if I have the courage to do so.

If anyone has any advice on how I can be more comfortable/tolerant of people, or even any opinions on what I wrote, that would be great.

Last edited by Reptile; 01-15-2009 at 07:52 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 11:03 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

engineer1961 HB Userengineer1961 HB User
Re: Unsocial- What can I do?

Most likely they are related conditions ....try bto get in to see the doctor sooner if possible ......depression plays havic on teeneage years but there is loads of help out there!!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:48 AM   #3
(female)

Reptile HB User

Thanks for your response.
I'm scheduled to see a psychiatrist the third week into Feb. Unfortunately, that was the earliest available. I wish I could see someone sooner!

Old 01-17-2009, 04:31 AM   #4
(male)

nervous neddy HB User

You're definately doing the right thing by seeking out professional opinions.

I have the whole internal conversations thing in my head all the time. I think it has to do with a fear of having no control in real social situations. It's like my brain is trying to practice for social situations by having pretend conversations. Obviously real situations are unpredictable so it's understandable why you would question the validity of this behavior. I would say that as long as you realize that these conversations are internal (as in not hearing voices or thinking you are actually talking to another person who isn't there), you have nothing to be seriously alarmed about.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User

Sounds like a classic case of social anxiety....Put yourself in positions such as volunteering where you focus outward, not inward. Basically you have to learn social skills and gain confidence. Practice.

Closed Thread