It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 09:21 PM   #1
(male)

HollowScarface HB User
Lightbulb Constant Daydreaming Problems

So from a young age I have this attention problem. I can easily tune out and daydream about alternate realities in which I am a superhero or someone great who makes a huge difference. I am only 18 but have considered myself a huge failure, as I suck at a lot of things from academics to athletics. My younger sister is an overachiever and this has made me even sad.

I suffered depression in high school, and even now have a tendency to compare myself to others. Throughout high school this felt like a normal hormonal problem, but now that I have joined a polytechnic institute (a form of post secondary), I find it hard to pay attention in classes. Unfortunately, classes can go from fifty minutes to one hour and fifty minutes. I get frustrated, and unlike other students, I have to go home and do more work because I cannot pay attention in class even if I try. I am enrolled in Instrumentation Engineers Technology. I have a hard time solving problems that have a greater difficulty level than the usual. In class I try hard to pay attention, but I just can't pay attention as efficiently. Especially in a program like Instrumentation, the courses can be really boring. The labs are the worst.

Daydreaming isn't that bad as I can pass time in boring conditions like being in a long bus ride. Normally I daydream by thinking to myself and imagining myself in a different place doing different things. Examples include saving people, being rich, doing a life changing deed that could help other people, etc.

I also did not go to my high school graduation ceremony as I considered myself to be not special enough. Do I by any chance have Borderline Personality Disorder, and can anybody explain it in simple terms as to what it means?

Thank you again for those who took the time to reply. I am praised and honored for such help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
(male)

MXAlpha HB User
Re: Constant Daydreaming Problems

It kinda feels irritating but I feel exactly the same as you.
Is your daydreaming being affected by movies/video games you see?
Do you watch anime and think yourself being among them?

That's how I feel and based from what I read by your post

Old 01-14-2010, 01:17 AM   #3
(female)

kittypryde13 HB User

Same here... i though it was normal at first but it got worse...i start getting worse at my studies. i imagine things about supernatural things. there is a main character i have created in my dreams and sometimes... like 7 times in 2 year i accidently called myself by that characters name. its a little scary but i like constantly daydreaming! But i want it 2 stop coz of my studies but at the same time i dont want it 2 disappear.

Old 01-14-2010, 11:53 PM   #4
(male)

HollowScarface HB User

Same here. Whenever I watch a movie, I feel like I am the protagonist, and make up stories in my head. Can't really help it. I do have Avoidant Personality Disorder, so it is something that may have led to this. Not sure.

Old 04-25-2010, 01:54 PM   #5
(female)

srx17 HB User

Same here. I always put myself into TV programmes and films and pretend to be with the characters. It's just something people like to do. I like to see myself as someone who will save the world with their own special powers, I don't know why, I just like to do it.
I think that it's something in our past's that has triggered this to happen and we want to be someone different for a change.

Old 04-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User

I think its a way for us to escape the day to day problems with life. Atm my day dreams when i have them which is alot less than i use to is Avatar. Mainly just being there in such a colourful place, being free.

Old 04-26-2010, 08:11 AM   #7
(female)

srx17 HB User

Does this mean that we have a disorder or something? Like if we can't help it especially when we don't want to do it?
I'm not to sure about it. I'm living in an imaginary world all the time and can't get myself out of it. It interferes with my daily life and find it hard to concentrate on a certain task.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:13 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Diverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB UserDiverdan8 HB User

Im not a Doctor, so i cant really say yes or no and even then they would have to do some tests. But i wouldnt have thought so, Its just a way of copying with things, If you keep busy do you still day dream?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:32 AM   #9
(male)

HollowScarface HB User

Same problem here. It used to be a gift in my childhood, but now I cannot get rid of it. In class, my head gets dizzy when the teacher talks, and I tune out without trying. Sometimes I imagine being another character, while other times I imagine myself in another situation. Either ways, it is something which affects me, and makes me one of the slower students in class.

My friend suggests working out to get rid of the problem. Apparently he had similar problems, and excercised lots to be focus, and active. I am not sure if it works or not.

Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #10
(male)

HollowScarface HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diverdan8 View Post
Im not a Doctor, so i cant really say yes or no and even then they would have to do some tests. But i wouldnt have thought so, Its just a way of copying with things, If you keep busy do you still day dream?
Well, sometimes even when having a conversation, I can tune out. Keeping busy does not always help, especially if you are doing a boring task like cramming for exams, or doing homework.

I have yet to try working out periodically everyday, to see the results.

Old 04-28-2010, 01:57 AM   #11
(female)

kittypryde13 HB User

I'm sorry to say that you most probably do suffer from a disorder. I got diagnosed with depression, anxiety and OCD so you most probably do have something. My doctor said that I made this world in my head to escape from problems. Nobody would ever think that I was depressed or that i suffered from OCD, as I was normal .When I revealed everything about myself to the doctor, thats when I finally realized that I suffer from depression. He also said that the daydreaming is part of OCD as I constantly have daydreams again and again. The anxiety was noticable but I just thought that it was just stage-fright. I just start to sweat and shake when I have to speak in front of the class or even to answer a question.

Another thing I noticed was that even when I had friends, was that I still felt lonely. Just 3 months ago, I went on this website to get information and a week later I got my appontment with the doctor. If these daydreams are effecting your ability to do everyday things, then I think you should get checked up.

What my daydreams effected:
1. My ability to sit and study, even when I had exam or tests the next day
2. My sleep! I had problems getting out of bed in the morning as I was to busy daydreaming. Before going to sleep, I would lie down and daydream for 1 to 2 hours before going to sleep.
3. My social life! I stayed in bed for hours and just didn't feel like getting up and going out with my friends and spending time with my family (this happened sometime when I craved to daydream).
4. My weight...not that i am fat! I gained weight as I always felt so tired and didn't do that many activities as I was too busy daydreaming.
5. My attendence! Have you ever had the feeling to stay home and daydream? Well I did!

This is all the information I can give you all. Hope you find it useful as I did when I first got on this web 3 months ago. Hope you get some answers!

Old 05-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #12
(female)

Kendra01 HB UserKendra01 HB User

I find myself doing this to, but I think it is because I am in so much pain that I am trying to distract myself.

I don't know if I have a medical issue or mental health issue. Which route do I go first?

Old 05-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #13
(female)

kittypryde13 HB User

what sort of pain are you in??? Pain due to an injury or emotional pain? If you are suffering from emotional pain, it is a menatl issue. If it is due to an injury, contact your doctor and let him/her know. They will advice and may prescribe some medication or they might refer you to a physiatrist.

Old 05-14-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
(female)

funforever HB User

Not sure about the borderline personality disorder, but I do the same thing as you. I do NOT have a personality disorder, and imagining things like that is a coping mechanism (this from a certified therapist who I finally told about my fantasy worlds). The only thing I would say is you need to practice ignoring your fantasy worlds during class; if you can't, then you might have personality disorder. I don't know, but I have the whole daydreaming thing just like you, except I could force myself to pay attention in school (mostly; but when I drifted off into fantasy land I could bring myself back if I wanted to. Occasionally I kept daydreaming, but not enough to disrupt my school work).

If you have tried to stop them and can't, I'd suggest a therapist. Fantasy worlds is apparently a very common way of coping, and most therapists (any good one IMO) would know this. And they should be able to help you identify 1) why you created these worlds and 2) what to do about it/ how to stop it from interfering in your real life.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #15
(male)

HollowScarface HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by funforever View Post
Not sure about the borderline personality disorder, but I do the same thing as you. I do NOT have a personality disorder, and imagining things like that is a coping mechanism (this from a certified therapist who I finally told about my fantasy worlds). The only thing I would say is you need to practice ignoring your fantasy worlds during class; if you can't, then you might have personality disorder. I don't know, but I have the whole daydreaming thing just like you, except I could force myself to pay attention in school (mostly; but when I drifted off into fantasy land I could bring myself back if I wanted to. Occasionally I kept daydreaming, but not enough to disrupt my school work).

If you have tried to stop them and can't, I'd suggest a therapist. Fantasy worlds is apparently a very common way of coping, and most therapists (any good one IMO) would know this. And they should be able to help you identify 1) why you created these worlds and 2) what to do about it/ how to stop it from interfering in your real life.
Well, I did see a psychologist, and she took it as normal. She did suggest a test, but I declined. The attention problem can trigger normally. Whenever in class, a boring lecture is hard to pay attention to, and the fantasies begin. I easily get lost in details, so daydreaming comes to rescue.

Closed Thread