It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 10:43 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

negot HB Usernegot HB User
My hands are shaking

I don't know if this is the right board to post on.
I am 48 and the last couple of weeks I have noticed that my hands are shaking. It happens in situations where I have no reason to feel stressed, like when I am at home with my family. I have always been a tense person.
What could the reason be for my hands shaking?

Old 02-20-2009, 11:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User
Re: My hands are shaking

Certain medications cause shaking and/or twitching....In any case, you should call your physician for a routine neurological exam.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2009, 07:02 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you for your response. I am not on any medication. Actually, because of my hands shaking, I've had to take valium. I am under a lot of stress. Could this be the reason or could it be something physical?

Old 02-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
(male)

User#1337 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by negot View Post
Thank you for your response. I am not on any medication. Actually, because of my hands shaking, I've had to take valium. I am under a lot of stress. Could this be the reason or could it be something physical?
Did you just stop drinking caffeine or any other stimulate (guarana, etc). It could easily be minor effects of withdrawals. It happens to me all the time. I'll binge drink soda on the weekends with my buddies, and regularly drink soda through the week, and then randomly stop because the supply is gone. The following days without the caffeine, my hands shake like crazy. Couple that with stress, and I can't even handle eating utensils. My friends give me crap because my hands shake so much I can't eat corn during lunch at school because it'll spill all over the place.

Good luck with yourself

Old 02-20-2009, 11:04 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for the response. I drink almost only decaf coffee. Today I had a very stressful day and even after 15mg of valium, my hands were shaking and also the inside of my body. This is not visible, but I feel as if I am shaking from inside. The shaking of my hands is visible. This started only recently. I am very prone to stress and have a hard time relaxing.

Old 02-23-2009, 02:14 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

jsfai HB User

HI Negot,
I think a visit to your local doctor is in order...the shaking and it's cause needs to be identified and addressed. It doesn't really matter if it's something physical or mental (psychosomatic) because either way you need to address the issues.
Good luck and take care
J

Old 02-23-2009, 03:59 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Seraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB UserSeraph HB User

Could you be hyperthyroid? I went through that some years ago. I had shaky hands, diarrhoea on and off, very fast pulse, and anxiety. I had a thyroid test and it was over the roof. Then I went into thyroid storm, and had to be hospitalized. Sera.

Closed Thread