It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
(male)

Castleman HB User
Complex fantasies as a coping mechanism?

In addition to my already messed up head, I might as well fess up to something I've never told a doctor. (The non-judgmental nature of this board is actually very helpful)
While depression is a huge problem for me, I have a tendency when things are rough to escape into what have becomes some elaborate fantasies. When I say elaborate, I mean, extensive and highly detailed. As things for myself (and the rest of the world) have gotten very bad lately, I find myself starting to venture there more often.
I imagine dialogues there, places, interactions, etc. One of them focuses on my life as a successful musician and how well I've done, another as a star athlete, and yet another world is based on a vastly different society than what we know.
I know that small fantasies are very normal and expected, but to the incredible detail?
Also, as things get tougher, I am very afraid that I may go to those fantasies and not come back.
Does anyone else have experience with these kinds of issues?
Yes, I know I should be seeing a mental health professional, but my finances will not allow it as I'm barely eating.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:55 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

fossilapostle HB User
Re: Complex fantasies as a coping mechanism?

This fantasing is very common among all people of all ages. I wouldn't say it's a symptom or cause of any mental illness unless you're having trouble distinguishing the real from the fantasy, or you're spending an unhealthy amount of time in your "fantasy world."

One suggestion: Have you every considered writing down these fantasies? Keeping a journal, or however you'd prefer to do it, is a great way of dealing with these types of things. Also, if you're fantasies are that detailed and complex, maybe you could write some interesting stories.

After all, Tolkien (the man who wrote the Lord of the Rings books) invented his fantasy world originally to deal with the stress of being a soldier in World War 1. He came up with, like you, an incredibly complex society different from our own. Far from being a mentally ill though, he used his fantasies to write his books and became a very succesful author in his own lifetime and after.

A lot of things in life are good or bad depending on how you look at them. I think your fantasies could be bad, neutral, or good depending on how you choose to percieve and deal with them. Or to put it much better than I could: "The mind is its own place, and in itself, can make heaven of Hell, and a hell of Heaven." -John Milton.

Good luck!

Last edited by fossilapostle; 04-30-2009 at 09:58 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread