It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #1
(male)

Belvedere HB User
Not sure what to call it.

Hi, I am a 41 yr old male. I have a 5yr old, 3 yr old, and a baby on the way. Since the birth of my 3 year old, my wife says I have changed. She is right. After begging and pleading and threatening to leave, I began seeing doctors, psychologists, therapists, and others. First I was treated for ADHD with Adderall and then Concerta. Although both of them had an effect on my focusing and work, they did not address the problem. I was then treated for depression with Welbutrin, Zolaf and most recently Effexor. Non on these medicines have done anything positive for me. The psychologist thought it might me a man/woman thing, and the therapist thought I needed to keep a journal, bring in my wife for sessions and get a day planner. Finally, after more pushing from my wife, I made an appointment with a Psychiatrist. I spent 2 hours in his office and with his nurse. The session made more sense to me than anything that has been said before. He said, that the medicines I was taking would not be useful for my problem. My problem is the inability to take no as an answer, from myself and others. In every example that I gave to him, he showed me how it was just another case of not accepting no. I have ruined our finances because I won't tell myself no, even when I know that I don't need to spend the money. I have frustrated my wife because when she tells me no to something, then I won't do anything, or at least not do it right. (subconsciously). I have overreacted toward students due to them saying no, and I have fallen behind in work because I haven't been able to tell myself no about wasting time on other things. This had been accompanied with a tendency of being passive-aggressive. I also will point out actions that my wife does that I feel are contradictory to what she says I cannot do. Although we agree on most things, if she tells me no, I will sabotage many of the things we are doing.
I guess the main thing is, has anyone had any experience with this type of problem, and does anyone have any tips on self help that I can start before I begin seeing a therapist next week and after. Thanks...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread