It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Junior77 HB User
Serious memory loss, need advice please

I'm diagnosed with schizophrenia and have been taking medication for it for about 4 years now. I've been having memory loss for the past few years and it's only gotten worse. It's getting very severe now. My long term memory is bad and my short term memory is even worse. I can't remember if I locked the door or not when i leave the house by the time I get to my car, so sometimes i go back and double check to see if I locked it. I forget what I say as I'm talking to someone in a conversation or when I'm arguing.

I don't see things and hardly hear things now. I was wondering if these medications I've been on this whole time have fried my brain? The medications took away my visual hallucinations. But could they have taken away my visual or image memory along with it? I never had memory problems before I was schizophrenic or began taking medications for it. So I don't know which of the two caused or is causing my memory loss. Is there any help for this?

Old 08-18-2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Seymour93 HB User
Re: Serious memory loss, need advice please

Memory loss from psychiatric meds is common...... Challenge your brain. Crossword puzzles, talk with friends, read....Perhaps a different medication would be less problematic. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-20-2009, 03:35 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

fossilapostle HB User
Re: Serious memory loss, need advice please

I doubt they've "fried your brain", but schizophrenia drugs are pretty powerful and I don't doubt that they could have led to your memory problems.

That's a tough choice though. Being mentally ill or not being able to remember anything. Maybe talk to your doctor about trying some other medication or trying lowering your current meds. That might help.

Closed Thread