It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2003, 11:15 AM   #1

boxerlover HB User
Question Lexapro vs. Paxil for less weight-gain

What do you guys think? I am considering changing from 60mg of Paxil, which is working very well, to Lexapro. I have gained about 60+ pounds over the years taking Paxil, but I am sympom free. (I never had a weight problem before I started taking anti-depressants) I suffer from anxiety/ocd disorders. I am not a medicine hopper. I have been taking Paxil for at least 2 years after taking Prozac successfully for 7 years. I have always figured that being fat, although unpleasant, was much better than feeling crazy and anxious all the time, but now I hear great things about Lexapro. I have heard that people have actually lost weight. The thing that has me most interested is that fact that many people have experienced decreased sugar cravings. I am a certifiable sugar craving freak! I'm not saying that I eat sugar all the time, because I don't. I know that is not healthy, but I could. I have tried various weight-loss programs as well, but it is very hard to lose any weight. I don't know what this stuff does to your metabalism, but I think it erases it. I want to have a baby this year, and I just can not imagine, gaining an additional 20-50lbs on top of my current weight. I would love to hear from anyone who has any insite on this new drug and any women who have taken anti-depressants during pregnancy. Thanks, Linda

Old 04-13-2003, 12:40 AM   #2

Jelibean HB User
Hi Linda

I was taking Paxil for about nine months. It didn't happen overnight, but I gained about 13 lbs. About a month ago I went off of the Paxil (please don't go off without medical supervision, it can be quite dangerous leading to violent mood swings among other side effects), anyway I lost all that weight since stopping the Paxil, and I have just started on the Lexapro, so I hope I don't put it back on.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2003, 06:57 AM   #3

diamond218 HB User
Wink

don't worry; i've been on lexapro over a month now for depression and anxiety and if anything, i lost weight. i was also previously on 20mg of paxil and gained 30lbs but now am fine. lexapro increases your energy level dramatically. i'd rather be energetic than sleeping all the time from paxil.

Old 04-23-2003, 09:04 AM   #4

paulsmom HB User
I've been taking Lexapo, 10mg and Lamictal 200 mg for a few months now and it has definately helped with sugar cravings and weight loss. I haven't lost a bunch of weight, just a few pounds but the weight wasn't the issue in the first place, it was the binging and sugar cravings. I would say Lexapro has definately helped.

Good luck!!!

Old 05-08-2003, 02:00 PM   #5

buddha504 HB User
boxerlover--how's the lexapro going for you?

Old 05-09-2003, 04:24 AM   #6

want2Bcalm HB User
I am on lexapro after gaining weight on zoloft and prozac. I am really hoping lexapro is going to be the one that does not cause weight gain.

Closed Thread