It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2003, 09:06 AM   #1

friendly strong person HB User
Post anybody with experience being on Celexa 20mg anti dperessants?

anybody with experience being on Celexa 20mg anti dperessants?

i was just prescribed these today and have not started taking them yet - i want to know if anybody has experience being on this stuff, and how it affected them.

i'm not a "drug" taker, i hate putting anything in my body that isn't natural, so i wanted to get all the information beforehand...

can anybody help?

Old 02-20-2003, 12:54 PM   #2

coraldnz HB User
I don't know much about Celexa, myself, but my best friend takes it. She said it has relatively no side effects, and seems to help. She is very pleased. Good luck. I just posted my own med. question.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2003, 06:48 AM   #3
Inactive

Karla HB User
I was on celexa for a couple of years and found it to be a pleasurable drug to be on with no side effects. It helped with my depression until the medicine quit working for me one day and so the dosage was upped and then latter it quit working again so I switched to another medicine effexor. Celexa is so great because it is not hard to quit taking like paxil, effexor, and other antidepressents. It doesn't make you feel misserable when you stop taking it. Good luck but remember everyone is different and we react differently to meds also.

Old 02-24-2003, 10:55 PM   #4

ainge HB User
i was prescribed 20mg celexa in april 00. like you i was definately NOT a drug taker. (i am from a very holistic, natural approach family. however, my panic, anxiety and depression were taking their toll on me and my life.) i decided to take half of the dr. prescribed dosage which i have been doing for almost 2 years. it has been one of the best things i have done for myself. it has allowed me to gain a new perspective on dealing with my issues with out being so clouded from anxiety, etc. i have never taken more than the 10mg. and i am slowly weaning off of celexa and about to begin using the natural alternative, "5-HTP", which my naturopath has recommended. i am looking forward to the challenge of living once again with out chemical stimulation. i have read many, many opinions on withdrawl, but i think all i can do is try and see how it feels to me. anyway, good luck with trying celexa, be brave, it does take awhile to see and feel a difference. but try to stay with it and think positive! besides it is not the end of the world to try a drug for awhile, in fact it may be just the beginning.

Old 02-25-2003, 02:12 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

4given1 HB User
Yep, I've taken Celexa. (Now on Lexapro.) It worked very well for me, though I had to start off on 10 mg at first as 20 mg made me naseaus.

Old 03-01-2003, 01:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ashlee HB User
Iím also on Celexa although I am on 40mgs now. When I started I was on 20mgs but it stopped working for me at that amount.

Celexa supposedly has the least amount of side affects out of all SSRIís, but of course side affects ARE possible. I experienced MANY! . Nausea, sleeplessness mixed with sleepiness, being dizzy, increased thirst and the list goes on. It took a long time to start working, and even now almost a year later, I still have a substantial amount of bad days.

But I have heard so many good stories about Celexa... I would say give it a go!

Good luck to you!

Old 03-03-2003, 12:21 AM   #7

Shattered_Eros HB User
I have been on Celexa in the past and I found that it worked really well for the first little while but it stopped working for me after about 8 months. It just might be the right one for you though. It had no side effect though, so thats always good.
Good luck
Jen

Old 03-17-2003, 02:45 PM   #8

January HB User
I am bipolar II and have been on 40 mg of Celexa for 6 months. It is causing me to rapid cycle so I have reduced the dose to 20 mg and I am starting a new mood stabilizer. I was also on Lamictal for a while but started to have side affects. I hate the rapid cycling that the Celexa is causing

Old 04-27-2003, 09:42 AM   #9

roselee HB User
I took celexa a few years ago for my anxiety disorder(GAD) and I LOVED it, intill I started getting hot flashes 24/7....after being on it 3 months....
I was so sorry to have to get off, because it was great for relieving anxiety...it made me feel so good...

Now I am trying lexapro and hoping to feel better with out side effects....

Old 05-06-2003, 11:46 AM   #10
(female)

Sehsun HB User
Thumbs up

I took Celexa 10 mg for most of the time I took it (for depression). I didn't experience much side effects, or I guess I didn't notice them. I noticed a change within 4 weeks - I was much happier & upbeat. I wasn't much of a drug taker either before, but Celexa works really well. Hope everything works out well!

Old 06-30-2003, 08:34 PM   #11

shawnte HB User
Thumbs down

I took celexa at 20mg to 40mg and it helped a little if you want real help zoloft is very good. that helped me and it is actually the most prescribed anti-depresent in the u.s. ever since prozac went genaric.

Old 07-05-2003, 12:12 AM   #12

SoftSkies4 HB User
Cool

http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gifSOME GOOD ADVICE http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif
When I 1st started anti depressants, I never took them. I actually lied to my doc & said I did! I was scared to take them because I thought I would wake up and have no control over myself & be a totally overly happy person. It couldn't have been further from the truth! My friend was on anti-depressants & told me that they helped so I started taking them. The change is SO SO SO gradual you don't even notice they're helping, until one day, you realize that you don't feel so crappy anymore! That's it...they don't make you so happy that you are jumping for joy or anything, but a few weeks after taking them it just kind of sets in that you don't feel so down. So that is my lesson on anti-depressants that I had to learn the hard way. Take them, you'll never know what they'll do to you if you don't try and maybe you'll like the change.
~*~Leslie*~*

Old 07-22-2003, 07:34 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soar HB User
Hi! I am a newbie on Celexa! I read the posts that many of u wrote and it was very interesting. I am on 10 mg, and am to stay on that dose for two weeks and then see how I feel. Anyone found relief of anxiety on celexa???? Thanks!

Old 11-17-2006, 05:37 AM   #14

Triciaann21 HB User
Talking Re: anybody with experience being on Celexa 20mg anti dperessants?

I took Celexa 20 mg from 2001-2004. I thought it was great. I did gain about 30 lbs. during that time, but I think it was more because I was very relaxed and did not exercise and eat healthy. I didn't have any side effects after I was on it for a few weeks. I did have trouble sleeping if I took at night so I switched to taking it in the mornings.

Closed Thread