It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2003, 09:21 AM   #1
(female)

CindiBuffett HB User
Post depression/anxiety/panic attacks/nervous cough

Help! Have had a cough for 4 years which resulted in 5 fractured ribs 3 years ago. Doctors can't find a medical cause for the cough (psychogenic?). I find in times of stress - the cough gets worse.......which results in anxiety over coughing more and fracturing my ribs again. Was on 10 mg Prozac for 4 years to alleviate menopause symptoms - went off it in March. Was also taking 1/2 to one Xanax a day (for about 2 1/2 years) for anxiety and insomnia. In retrospect - I think the Xanax is what caused the anxiety in the first place - so discontinued it 14 days ago. Have had EXTREME agitation, anxiety and depression since going off Xanax (in addition to palpitaions, tremors, sweats, panic attacks). Decided today to start back on 5 mg Prozac - but am stressed beyond belief - and can't wait for the Prozac to kick in (could take weeks). Meanwhile - coughing out of control. I am not crazy...............just feeling like it right now.

------------------
Cindi Buffett

Old 12-10-2003, 01:31 AM   #2

Razzy HB User
Re: depression/anxiety/panic attacks/nervous cough

Well this ran in my family. Although not as extreme coughing. You sound so stressed, maybe you need to see a counsler. It really can help. Medican never helped me, i went years trying it and it never worked. I spent 4 months talking to a counsler and thanks to that all i have is miner attacks maybe once a month, and i dont take medication.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-12-2003, 12:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

billy7772 HB User
Re: depression/anxiety/panic attacks/nervous cough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindiBuffett
Help! Have had a cough for 4 years which resulted in 5 fractured ribs 3 years ago. Doctors can't find a medical cause for the cough (psychogenic?). I find in times of stress - the cough gets worse.......which results in anxiety over coughing more and fracturing my ribs again. Was on 10 mg Prozac for 4 years to alleviate menopause symptoms - went off it in March. Was also taking 1/2 to one Xanax a day (for about 2 1/2 years) for anxiety and insomnia. In retrospect - I think the Xanax is what caused the anxiety in the first place - so discontinued it 14 days ago. Have had EXTREME agitation, anxiety and depression since going off Xanax (in addition to palpitaions, tremors, sweats, panic attacks). Decided today to start back on 5 mg Prozac - but am stressed beyond belief - and can't wait for the Prozac to kick in (could take weeks). Meanwhile - coughing out of control. I am not crazy...............just feeling like it right now.

------------------
Cindi Buffett
Cindi-
Sorry to hear you are having so many problems What worked for me and changed my life was Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) It got me off all meds after years of taking them and now I am feeling better than ever. It's all about using the tools to learn to think more clearly and accurately about things and once you do your anxiety and depression will miraculously begin to lift before your eyes. My favorite starter book on CBT is "Been There, Done That? Do This! by Sam Obitz. Many universities offer free or low cost CBT programs as well.
Good Luck

Billy

Closed Thread