It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2003, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

lady68 HB User
Post Feeling unreal

Can anyone tell me if there familiar with the feeling of depersonalization and derealization...where everything and everyone around you don't seem real anymore.....where you go on questionning the world, your existence ect...A very scary feeling. A constant sense of fear...like the world is ending.
If anybody can relate please do write.
I would appreciate it very much.
Thank you for reading

Hugs,

Daniela

Old 07-11-2003, 05:36 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

*music23* HB User
Hi Daniela-
I can totally relate. Sometimes it is as if I am in a glass or plastic bubble, and I can't get through to anyone, nor can anyone get through to me. It's like I exist (or do I?) in a different form then anyone else. Sometimes it helps to stimulate the senses, like squeezing an ice cube. Some people say they get that feeling from being on line so be careful!!! I wish I had more real advice to give you besides squeezing a dumb ice cube, but just please know that you are far from alone.
Questions, just ask.
Kristina

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2003, 03:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
using smelling salts or squeezing keys in hand and thinking about the pain helps soemtimes

relaxation and reducing stress helps

Old 07-12-2003, 04:50 PM   #4
(female)

lady68 HB User
Thank you hry33 and music23 for taking the time to answer my post...it is very well appreciated.
Do you mean to use the methods of ice cubes and keys while your getting this feeling or does it work also after you've been experiencing it for a while.
And also hry33 I wanted to know where do you get this smelling salt.
When you guys went through this feeling of unreal...did it come all of a sudden and also how long did it last.
Sorry for all the questions....just need some reassurance...

Thanks guys....big hugs,

Daniela

Old 08-19-2003, 12:51 PM   #5
Inactive

Equis HB User
A strange feeling of dejavu and derealization/depersonalization is a symptom of anxiety/panic disorders. It could simply be caused by stress and worry. I get it too and it weirds me out, but don't worry about it too much, or you'll just end up giving it to yourself more from worrying more (vicious cycle, don't you know). Good luck

Kate

Old 08-20-2003, 02:33 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

hry33 HB Userhry33 HB User
smelling salts can usually be got from a pharmacy and should help during derealisation

Old 08-25-2003, 01:53 PM   #7

78f150 HB User
wow, this is exactly the reason why i came to this site. Lately i have also been feeling unreal. I feel like i cant even focus on what im doing sometimes because i'm too busy questioning life and why were even here. Its lke im looking down on the earth as some small little planet instead of through my own eyes, like the world could just end and it wouldnt mean anything. Everything just seems sort of fake to me, even my own existance. Its weird because i've only been feeling like this for a few days but its definately a change from my normal thinking. To tell you the truth im pretty sure this all started the other day. Me and a friend were smoking weed, yea its illegal but its also fun. I never felt like that off weed. And as we were driving home i kept thinking that i was loosing my mind or something. It was really intense and ive never thought like that before. I was thinking that maybe everything is fake like were all in some video game, like that game sim city. I wasnt really feeling suicidal or anyhting and im not now so thats good. In my head i was questioning reality and life itself way too much. I really found it depressing because i usually dont think like this. Ever since then I've felt like im going crazy or something, but not to the degree that i was when it first came on. Its like im out of my own head and i cant stand it. I want to go back to the way it was when everything was everything I didnt have to question reality so much. Anyway I hope im not going mental or something because that would really suck. Does anybody know what could be wrong with me?

[This message has been edited by 78f150 (edited 08-25-2003).]

Old 08-26-2003, 05:55 PM   #8

Optimist415 HB User
As trite as it sounds, when you feel like that, do lots of deep breathing into your stomach - 10 times in a row. Derealization is a side effect of hyperventilation or shallow breathing. Try it, I think it will help you.

Old 08-26-2003, 07:43 PM   #9

goatofthenever HB User
hey 78f150, when u were on weed was it like everything is a big screen and existance is just projected like a movie? i tried explaining this to my friends but they didnt understand. it always freaks me out becouse i feel like im trapped in this fake world and cant move or turn around in the real one.

Old 08-26-2003, 11:01 PM   #10

78f150 HB User
I dont know if I could say that everything was like a movie and i couldnt move because I was driving at the time when all this started and was the strongest. So I guess I could move ok. It was similar to life being like a movie though, because everything seemed so different. I looked at things in a different way. We smoke weed all the time but i never feel like that. It was like I came to the realization that The world and our lives and senses just couldnt be real. If anybody else ever has been through something like this they should write it here. I guess it was like a movie though.

Old 09-08-2003, 01:36 PM   #11

AmIGoing Crazy HB User
I have had this feeling before and I thought I was the only one. I thought that I was going to lose my mind at that very second. To get back to reality I have to call someone on the phone and just talk about something to stop from losing it or I go outside of my house and look at what everyone else is doing, which helps. It all started when I was looking in the mirror at myself and I saw me looking at me and it freaked me out. Eventually (like 2 years) later for other reasons, I got on Wellbutrin THIS made it 100 times worse - I was experiencing repeated thoughts that wouldn't stop over and over again, (this is called rumination) and to go with it depersonalization + derealization it was driving me nuts So, I called my Doctor and he said it got worst because my seratonin levels were low because wellbutrin increases dopamine but since it does that your seratonin level goes down. He said low seratonin causes rumination etc.. He then gave me Lexapro to increase my seratonin and in two days no more freak outs. Maybe it has something to do with low seratonin levels. Ask a doctor about it. Let me know if you need more info.

Old 09-13-2003, 07:44 PM   #12

chontelle HB User
To 78f150 and goatofthenever: I happened upon this board and rarely post but wanted to reply. I can relate to what you're saying about feelings of unreality. Yes, I've been there. I first experienced feelings of unreality after smoking weed 20+ years ago (back then we called it "pot"); it was not a positive experience. I was always somewhat apprehensive about illegal substances and felt peer pressure to try it. I was (and to some extent still am) a control freak and did not like feeling out of control. But when I smoked that day, I freaked out. It was like I was in a movie and I couldn't get out. I remember saying I'm not here; are you guys next to me (to my friends)? What's happening? Somethings definitely not right; I have to go to the hospital. That was the start of a period of depression and panic; possible nervous breakdown as I spent considerable time in the dark analyzing what had happened, did not want anyone near me, questioning my sanity and trying to make sense of what had happened. It was an incredibly lonely experience and I am glad to share this here. There's something cathartic about sharing; it's healing to share our experiences with someone who has been there. I had always been prone to anxiety but smoking that day, really sent me over the edge. I believe this set off a full blown anxiety attack and onset of depression. I often didn't want to leave the house. But these days, I'm better. Still suffer with some anxiety and depression, but am better able to define my feelings and deal with them. The feeling of unreality unfortunately has also occurred with medication but that I can deal with. It helps to know I'm not alone with this feeling. I have been experiencing it lately but learning to live with it and accept that there will be times when I'll experience this feeling of unreality and "walking in a fog". I've become more accepting and tolerant and less afraid knowing that I can handle it and it's nothing life threatening, just strange and surreal. It's a coping mechanism and there's a reason behind it so it's good to try to examine why we need to 'escape'. From whom? From what? What is too much and what can't we handle? Therapy helps and understanding how you internalize stress and what causes you to need to 'get away'. This is my opinion anyway, and I hope you know that you are not alone. Always know, you'll be okay. No one thinks you're weird and you no one suspects a thing. I think we have a tendency to think Oh man, I'm so messed up. I feel so weird, I am going off the deep end. But it's not true. It's the body's response to stress. It's a lot more common than you think. I wish you well.

Old 09-14-2003, 12:24 AM   #13

?!? HB User
wow. i've had this feeling with me for proactically 5 months non-stop. i thought i was just losing my mind, and belonged in a mental institution. so many things that you guys are describing make so much sense to me, and i can totally relate. i thought that i was the only one out there that could have this feeling... it's scary i know, but none of you are alone! and neither am i!....just a bit of reasurance helps... thanks god!

Old 09-18-2003, 05:12 PM   #14

Steak HB User
I don't know what to say. I've had shivers like i've never felt shivers running down my spine reading this thread. I seriously thought i was alone with this.
Just reading that line in the opening post

.....where you go on questionning the world, your existence ect...A very scary feeling.

is exactly what i was doing. Things have more or less calmed down now, but it went on with me constantly for 7 months. It was like constantly asking all the big questions, yet you knew there were no answers, and it scares the hell outta you.
It totally takes you from the world you know and spits you into one where scared and running are all you know, yet you don't know why. And you're 100% SURE you're going mad. properly insane.
It's weird cos nowadays i don't get it so much, but it has affected my life hugely. I still spend a huge amount of time trying to figure it all out, but thoughts very rarely still have the same intensity they did. It's like i can think things about existence/life etc that i thought before, but in a simpler way. Without that bang/pain in the chest accompaniment, and the feeling like you could really be getting somewhere if only you were so sure that no answers existed.

And this from someone else on this thread,......

"I want to go back to the way it was when everything was everything I didnt have to question reality so much"

I've got pretty much exactly the same line written down somewhere.
Like i said before, its pretty much behind me now, almost like it was a dream. When you feel or think a certain way you know it and are so sure of it, then after you cant pinpoint it exactly, and you wonder if it was ever really real.
Similar to what some other people have posted, my experience started after a 4 hour full blown panic attack after smoking weed.
In some ways i wish i'd never bothered with drugs, in others i miss em. But i've stopped everything now.
I still funnily enough get the "experience" on a hangover, after a night of heavy drinking. Which is a shame, cos i do love me booze. Can't give up everything. LOL.

Anyway. Cant even remember how i stumbled across this website now. Just wanted to add my experience cos it sounded so similar. Still feel tingly from reading it thru. Anyone feel free to contact me

Peace.

Old 09-24-2003, 04:44 PM   #15

Guyzer HB User
Hey Everyone, I've been so worried about the way I've been feeling lately, and Im so glad I found this site. Im a 16 year old male, and I bet your all goona think when you read this that Im way to young to have these problems, but ya know....It happens lol. Well it all started just before summer this year so roughly around the end of june when I smoked weed with my freind. Im not really a big drug guy, because I am involved in lots of sports, but I tried it anyways. I had the worst trip out, and Ive never been so scared as I was that night, It was like i was sucked into a movie, where everything moved in pictures, and I kept repeating things like "take me to the hospital, somethings wrong". This lasted about 3-4 hours because I remeber being scared that if I went to sleep, that I wouldnt wake up. The next day I was still a little off, but it was alright, and the day after that was completely fine and I felt totally back to normal. About 2 weeks later while I was out on a date with a Lady freind, towards of the end of the movie, I started to feel very very strange. I started to breathe heavily and I felt like everything around me was super weird, and i didnt understand. I went home that night and told my mom that something was wrong, and went to bed. For the next 2 weeks I didnt leave the house, I slept 14-18 hours a day, I had a week and a half long headache, and I was throwing up(sorry about the info) all the time, because my stomach felt constantly like I was about to go on a broadway stage to perform something perfect infront of a million people. I slowly got outside again, and slowly started getting better. now im playin sports again, and I have fun a little more. I still believe that I have a long way to go, and schools not too bad I guess, I feel spaced out alot of the time, and my thoughts seem weird sometimes. I always question myself if there is something wrong with my head, and I hesitate to do fun things cause I think to myself "whats the point, im just goona die someday anyways, and I wont remember".
Like I have such a negative attitude now, and Im scared to drink because Im afraid im goona flip out infront of all my freinds or half a trip out like I did when I tried Pot. Now its september, so its been a few months, and I still have really strange dreams and I wake up in the middle of the night and sometimes feel confused and dont know where I am, and also I have kinda a memory loss cause it feels like the night before when I was doing things it seems soo foggy. Sorry this is soo long, but can anyone help me, will this all go away??? cause I dont think I can live like this forever. Thanks for any of your replies, cause I know that im only 16 now, and Maybe some adults could give me some hope and encouragement that I'll get better. Thanks again

-Guy

Closed Thread