It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User
Red face Extreme paranoia from being baker acted 6 times in 2 months!!!

Being baker acted 6 times in 2 months has made me EXTREMELY paranoid!!!! Every time I hear sirens I think they are coming to get me to take me back to the ward. Every time the phone rings I thinks It's the cops trying to trace my call. Evey time someone knocks on the door I think It's the police looking for me. Every time the dog barks I think the cops are outside coming to get me. I'm TERRIFIED every time I see and ambulance or pass a hospital or even see a cop. They keep taking me against my will and throwing me in the ward even when I have done NOTHING. I can't go back because they will put me in the state hospital for a min. of 6 months. Everything I do now has to be PERFECT and even perfect isn't enough to relieve my paranoia because I have been baker acted while I wasn't doing anything wrong at all!! Anybody have any tips of something this is getting old...

Old 01-06-2010, 06:01 AM   #2
(female)

NP74 HB UserNP74 HB UserNP74 HB User
Re: Extreme paranoia from being baker acted 6 times in 2 months!!!

Hey,

That is a tough one, being Baker Act'ed cannot be fun. My friend is a police officer and does not appear to like to do it any more than you like to be Baker Act'ed (not sure that is any consolation). I am not sure what you can do, but I hope my two cents can at least give you some ideas.

Fist of all, are you regularly seeing a therapist? Having a close relationship with a therapist may be of great help to you. I have been seeing a therapist for depression for nearly two years. We have a great relationship (even if he does make me upset at times :-). We candidly discuss how I feel and how I sometimes don't want to live etc. His has made it clear to me what he is required to do by law, and lets me know when I get into a shady area. It usually reels me in, as I have no desire to be Baker Act'ed, and I have come close a couple of times.

If you do not have a regular/good relationship with a therapist, go to your family Dr (if you have one you feel comfortable with) and ask him/her for help. You clearly need it, and a different approach to what is being taken right now, is required. There is help and hope out there for you. Don't go it alone. Let your Dr/therapist know about your fears and paranoia, they are here to help you, and there are good ones out there....

Best of luck to you. I am thinking about you.

P

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

fossilapostle HB User

I don't know too much about this, but the idea of having a therapist that was suggeseted seems a good idea. That way, if you feel you're being unjustly treated, you have your own therapist with his own records of how he thinks you're doing and the people at the hospital or wherever will probably trust him more than they trust you.

Anyway, what did you do for this to happen to you so much? I know you say "nothing", but seriously - 6 times in 2 months? You had to have done something. I know a guy who is bipolar. He's done some nutty stuff but when he's in his manic state he really doesn't realize how out of control his behavior is. He just doesn't get it.

HE also thinks the police have a conspiracy to put him away for his political beliefs or something and he once told me that the president of the US had 100 secret service officers protecting him from the police.

My point is, maybe your judgment isn't 100% at the moment. IS that possible?

Last edited by fossilapostle; 01-06-2010 at 12:57 PM.

Old 01-06-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User

Thanks for the post NP74, I do go to a therapist regularly and I like her a lot. It's just I wish my therapist would have told me what she has to do by law because she called the cops on me one morning for telling her that I take Nyquil just to sleep. apparently It's "self medicating" That's one of the times I got baker acted for doing nothing. Also one of the other times I was just sitting by the lake behind my apartment complex at 1am and because of my history and time of day, they had to baker act me???? Doesn't seem right to me. But my history is cutting...my whole leg is nothing but scars (mind you I haven't cut in over 2 months now) I am an alcoholic but that seems to be getting under control. The other 4 times I have been baker acted were for a reason tho. Tried hanging myself and would have succeeded if the cops didn't bust in my house and take me down. I have overdosed on Tylenol and Zoloft and I cut really deep almost bled to death but fiance came home. Anyways my point is the last 2 times i have been baker acted I have done nothing literally...the Nyquil and then sitting in my back yard??? Come on now. It discouraged me a lot cause i have been doing good and still kept ending up in the ward. I know the cops don't like Baker acting I can see it in their eyes and hear it in their voice but I understand why they have to if they have REASON. After those last 2 times I developed my paranoia because I really didn't do anything, at all. I'm afraid to tell my therapist my true feelings now because I do not want her to call the cops on me again =-/ This whole thing had kinda made me with drawl from my real feeling instead of talking about them. Which is only going to make things worse...

Old 01-06-2010, 01:52 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User

Thank you for the post Fossilapostle, I do have a therapist...she called the cops on me one morning for telling her that I take Nyquil just to sleep. apparently It's "self medicating" That's one of the times I got baker acted for doing nothing. Also one of the other times I was just sitting by the lake behind my apartment complex at 1am and because of my history and time of day, they had to baker act me???? Doesn't seem right to me. Yes the first 4 times I needed to be baker acted cause I tried hanging,bleeding to death,and OD twice. But the 5th and 6th times when I have been doing the right things and doing good they still took me and that's when I developed my paranoia. That's crazy about your friend =-O I'm in touch with reality, that's sad tho I hope he snaps out of that. =-/

Old 01-08-2010, 06:31 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

fossilapostle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrimp88 View Post
Thank you for the post Fossilapostle, I do have a therapist...she called the cops on me one morning for telling her that I take Nyquil just to sleep. apparently It's "self medicating" That's one of the times I got baker acted for doing nothing. Also one of the other times I was just sitting by the lake behind my apartment complex at 1am and because of my history and time of day, they had to baker act me???? Doesn't seem right to me. Yes the first 4 times I needed to be baker acted cause I tried hanging,bleeding to death,and OD twice. But the 5th and 6th times when I have been doing the right things and doing good they still took me and that's when I developed my paranoia. That's crazy about your friend =-O I'm in touch with reality, that's sad tho I hope he snaps out of that. =-/
Ok, well I can see your point about the NyQuil. It's on OTC drug and legal for anyone to take unless it interferes with your other meds or something and your therapist told you not to take it.

And I can understand why you'd be mad at being arrrested just for sitting by a lake, but I think you need to look at the larger picture here.

And the larger picture is that you've tried to commit suicide at least 3 times recently. Can you see why your therapist and the police might tend to err on the side of caution with you? I mean, look at it from there point of view. You're known to not only be suicidal, but to have made multiple attemps. If they get a call from your therapist or see you in a situation where they (mistakenly) think you're going to harm yourself, they pretty much have to take you in or they'll be responsible if you end up killing yourself.

Right now, you need to just forget all the Baker Act stuff and focus on why you keep trying to kill yourself. That's your problem. Anything else is not really that important.

Honstly, IMO, you probably need to be in an in-patient hospital. In fact, I'm surprised you're not with that many sucide attemps in such a short period of time. I'm sure it's not something you want to do, but IMO you could really benefit from it.

Last edited by fossilapostle; 01-08-2010 at 06:33 AM.

Old 01-08-2010, 12:46 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User

yea I know and that's why I'm so paranoid now. I know for a fact if I got back again they will put me in a state hospital. They threatened to do that to me last time. I have addressed my suicidal issues and I no longer desire to kill myself. That's why I got so upset the last 2 times they took me because I addressed the problem. I do understand why the cops have to take me. No one want's to feel responsible for someones death. I just feel that It's always gonna be like this for me, I mean my history will never be cleared even though I am a lot better =-/ so I my as well stay paranoid right? Cause I can't erase my past =-/

Old 01-08-2010, 08:42 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

fossilapostle HB User

Quote:
yea I know and that's why I'm so paranoid now. I know for a fact if I got back again they will put me in a state hospital. They threatened to do that to me last time. I have addressed my suicidal issues and I no longer desire to kill myself. That's why I got so upset the last 2 times they took me because I addressed the problem. I do understand why the cops have to take me. No one want's to feel responsible for someones death. I just feel that It's always gonna be like this for me, I mean my history will never be cleared even though I am a lot better =-/ so I my as well stay paranoid right? Cause I can't erase my past =-/

You're talking about "your past" as if it's long ago. But, and correct me if I'm wrong, it sounds to me as if these attempts were fairly recently.

And you say that you've addrressed the suicide issue, but just b/c you aren't suicidal at the moment doesn't mean you've solved the problem. The fact that you tried multiple times says to me that you have serious issues that need to be dealt with.

What makes you think you won't try again if you start getting depressed again?

Also, you talk as if being paranoid were some kind of choice. It almost sounds like you're saying you're choosing to feel that way out of spite or anger or something.

Look, honestly your problems are way out of my league. But I've seen enough mental illness in my time to know that just b/c you aren't suicidal now does not mean that you are doing fine. I understand why you would be afraid of being involuntarily committed. Anyone would. But have you considered voluntarily committing yourself for a few weeks just to try to get some help in a setting where you don't have to deal with everyday problems?

I really think you could benefit from it. And, although I'm not that familiar with the law in these situations, I do think that people who voluntarily enter a hospital have more rights as far as deciding when to leave than people who are involuntarily committed do.

Anyway, whatever you decide, good luck.

Last edited by fossilapostle; 01-08-2010 at 08:43 PM.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:35 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User

Nope, voluntary or involuntary you both lose your rights completely. It's just discouraging it just feels like when I take one step forward I end up taking 2 steps back. I talked to my therapist about this she says I'm probably going to be paranoid for a while, because yes, the attempts were recent. I don't think I'm choosing to be paranoid out of spite or anger =-O that wouldn't benefit me too much I don't think. Thanks for the help I'll keep it in mind.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

fossilapostle HB User

Quote:
I don't think I'm choosing to be paranoid out of spite or anger =-O that wouldn't benefit me too much I don't think. Thanks for the help I'll keep it in mind.
Well, mental illness is pretty the mind doing stuff to itself that isn't good for it, right? So it wouldn't be surprising if you, under the circumstances, were acting in a self-destructive manner. Cutting isn't beneficial to you either, but you do it. Being a drug addict wasn't beneficial to me, but I was one.

But anyway, I wish you the best and I hope everything works out well for you.

Old 01-09-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

babsie HB User

Thanks. Yea I haven't cut I almost 3 moths now! =-D But I am an alcoholic and still battle with that =-/ How did you get through the drug addiction??? It's so hard. I have come a long way in my recovery with that but I still use to drown out reality

Closed Thread