It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
(female)

Kaseyjcf HB User
friend with schitzophrenia

Hi, I have a friend, she has paranoid schitzophrenia plu bi polar disease, and I am quite worried about her. She lives in a 1 room place by herself and has turned into a hoarder. She has accumulated so much stuff, mostly clothing, that she can barely get in the door of her place. I have tried to convince her she is a danger to herself and her neighbors. She has got to the point where she will no longer let me inside, so she is aware that this is not right. I am afraid her landlord will evict her and she will have nowhere to go. She is not employable and the homeless shelters are full in our area (New Hampshire) Who can I contact to help her? I do not want to see her on the street. I have no place to put her, I live quite a ways from her and she would not move in with anyone anyway. She has to be within walking distance of the clinics she goes to as she does not drive and has to present herself daily where they administer her meds.

Old 03-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #2
(female)

jellybread HB Userjellybread HB Userjellybread HB User
Re: friend with schitzophrenia

Would it help to help her throw away tons of that clutter so she can stay? Just a thought if she is willing to throw most of it away.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2010, 04:25 AM   #3
(female)

Kaseyjcf HB User

Yes, it would probably help her to stay, the problem with a hoarder is, they won't throw it away. She won't let anyone inside and she will not throw anything away. She will admit sometimes she knows she should but when approached she gets angry and angitated and refuses assistance or to do it herself. I know I am not a family member but I do care about her welfare. I am not in the position to call her medical facility to ask for advice. She alienated her family and other friends to the point where communication is no longer there. She insults me and demeans me but she needs someone to be there for her. So here I am. Thanks for the response.

Old 07-31-2010, 08:20 PM   #4
(female)

Hopeful always HB User

That is nice that you are there for her no matter what. It is a very sad thing especially when she has pushed everyone who loves her away. And it is hard to get a hoarder to throw away what needs to be thrown away.
I <knew of someone that was> a hoarder and along with other disabilities. I had a hard time, along with other staff in getting her to understand that bad food would hurt her and that she needed to get rid of stuff she didn't need. It was difficult because she would be so creative and hide her bad food in a empty can food can in the pantry. She will probably be in a 24 hour assistant program but what it nice is that she does get to live in her own home sitting and staff take 12 shifts to not just insure her safety but also to take her to where ever she wants to shop or to the doctor appointments.
Maybe you can look into something like that for disabled adults who need help.
Let me know how it goes, Hopeful Always

Last edited by Administrator; 08-08-2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: removed business name

Closed Thread