It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2010, 08:49 AM   #1
(male)

James2468 HB User
Anyone Else Have Serious Multiple Mental Health Issues?

I am a middle-aged adult male (in my early 40s) and have been struggling with mental health issues for most of my life. Stress, Anxiety, Depression, Extreme Nervousness to the point of shaking, Social Phobia, OCD....about the only thing I don't seem to have / get are actual full-blown panic attacks, though I do get so nervous/anxious/worried sometimes that it feels like I'm on the verge of it.

When I was younger, I had a lot of friends and was quite popular in school, but was always nervous about "performing" around my friends using humor, etc. to win their approval and/or trying to ensure they didn't think I was boring or not worth hanging around with. I did very well in school, but had to work very hard at getting good grades, and tests/exams/school projects or papers were all very stressful endeavors for me, so even success at school was very hard road to travel for me (up to and including university).

My life is a disaster now - the problems just seemed to get worse and worse over time to the point where now, I am unable to do almost anything productive, have insomnia, don't have a job, no friends, etc. I am seeing a doctor and we've been trying various medications to try to bring my problems to the point where they can at least become bearable, and if it wasn't for my parents and their great love and support (both emotionally and financially), I don't think I'd be here today writing this note.

Are there any other adults out there with similar "multiple mental health problems" that can share their experiences (or perhaps even things/activities you do that seem to help with your problems....?).

Thanks for reading my story. Hope to be able to communicate with others out there who find themselves in a similar situation.....I hope I am not scaring anyone off given the extent/severity of my mental health issues.......?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2010, 06:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

trg247 HB Usertrg247 HB Usertrg247 HB User
Re: Anyone Else Have Serious Multiple Mental Health Issues?

There are a number of people on this site with multiple concurrent disorders as it tends to be pretty common these days. With concurrent disorders it can be more difficult to treat both on the chemical side and the therapy side as each disorder tends to feed the others. I have borderline personality disorder, severe depression with psychotic features, post traumatic stress disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and symptoms of a handful of others. If I just concentrated on the labels and the overwhelming weight of my disorders change would not be possible as the hole would be to deep. Right now I try to focus on today and will deal with tomorrow when it gets here. The race to beat mental illness is not a sprint but a marathon.
Generalized Anxiety Disorder

Current Meds
Pristiq
Cymbalta
Seroquel
Temazapam

Old 04-13-2010, 09:12 PM   #3
(male)

Smurf1 HB User

Hi James, I've had similar issues as I grew up..from age 10, when I was involved in a car accident or from birth,I've suffered from hypersensitive hearing..limiting me socially.expressing myself..as my own voice causes distorted hearing...more so if I have to speak up a bit louder. Have had insomnia for many years...which make anxiety/stress worse. I've seen a hypnotherapist a few times..they may be able to get to the root of the problem...if there is one..I take multivitamin and a good B complex..I tried various natural products..with limited success..Tried acupuncture, massage, meditation, relaxation/deep breathing..also with limited success..Do things you get enjoyment from....hobby..walking..a pet dog...swim. We dig ourselves in a hole sometimes and only we can dig ourselves out...We are what we think we are..change your thinking to more positive things... Little steps... Different thing work for different people.
I had to stop work about 2 years ago...I think all the stress and anxiety took it's toll..last 6 months I started a different job...very challenging...Try to stay positive.....Feel free to contact me..

Old 04-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

jellybread HB Userjellybread HB Userjellybread HB User

Dont worry james2468, you aren't scarying anyone from your story. I have been through great trials in my life as well and have mental problem after mental problem. I have an axiety disorder that makes me nauseous, my stomach hurting and shortness of breath all day that can last serveral days at a time. I get this deep sadness in my chest deep deep down as if I could die. I have visual hallucinations 24/7 it never stops. And I have audio hallucinations in my head, this voice that never stops at times and drives me nuts. So I feel for you. All my mental problems comes out in physical ailments and my tension all day makes me grind/clench my teeth and hence I have painful TMJ disorder from it and wear a retainer all day/night to help relieve the tension in my jaw. So yes you are not alone in having multiple mental problems! feel free to share and find community here.

Old 04-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #5
(male)

James2468 HB User

Thanks to all who were kind enough to reply to my thread.

I get so depressed / exhausted / worried sometimes I can barely bring myself to do even the most basic of tasks (shower, shave, brush and floss my teeth, etc.).

A couple of things I find help a little with my severe depression/anxiety/nervousness:

1) Going for a nice long walk. Since I have no friends, I go alone.....just nice to see other people out and about along the way even if I say no more than a friendly "Hello" to them as we cross paths. I think the fresh air and exercise helps somewhat.

2) I do tend to feel a little better after I finish a lukewarm shower......the clean, refreshed feeling is nice. The trick is bringing myself to get in to the shower in the first place - such a struggle, and I think it's due to my extreme depression.......it really is that bad.

However, I find the two activities above only provide temporary relief from my depression / anxiety / nervousness etc., and I think I need much more than this if I'm even to have anything that remotely resembles a sane, functional life.

Old 04-29-2010, 06:21 AM   #6
(female)

KisZoli HB User

Hello there,
I have been battling depression and PTSD flashbacks since I was 5 or 6. I am now 53 and on disabilty for a few months and may possibly go permanent. I can rewlate to what you wrote BUT hear is the good news: As I said, it was a life-long battle but there were many periods when a combination of medication, group support (see if your medical provider offers anxiety groups, depression groups etc. They are a great place to learn about your illness, feel less isolated and maybe even make a pal or too!) I recommend only from the standpoint of a patient to BE patient. It may take a few med changes, but science has learned a lot. Have hope & take care. I do and I will :-)

Old 08-17-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
(male)

frontline82 HB User

thought i was one of the few who had multiple problems.
myself, i have epilepsy, sever manic depression, ocd, panic attacks, anger problems, emotional detatchment, and they are just the nice ones that people dont mind hearing about...

only ones i have been diagnosed with are epilepsy and depression, would be to terrified to tell the docs whats really wrong with me in case they locked me up.
i hate going out and seeing people, have no friend and to scared that people can see all my problems so i cross the road when i do see people.
28 and living back with family, unemployed, now thats depressing.

i spend most of my time online buying crap off ebay, doing my hobbies which involve anything to keep me busy and take my mind off my problems.
i love walking and used to walk all day everyday, i once walked 40 miles in one day, just because i could and i loved it.
now i hate walking as i see people and its hard for me, i cant breathe, my heart beats fast, and feel like i am going to pass out and i have epilepsy which doesnt help.

didnt mean to go on, just feeling sorry for myself
keep busy and try not to think about my problems, thats how i deal with it, ignore them...

Closed Thread