It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-27-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
(female)

kaity HB User
Brain fog & confusion.. ptsd or neuro?

I know there are other topics on this board regarding similar feelings and I am reading them but just wanted to post to get this off my chest.

Several years ago I was in an abusive and crazy relationship with a very dangerous man who was involved with many illegal activities. I was young-ish and he was exciting and at first it really felt like I was in a movie, but eventually I ended up witnessing horrible & violent things happen to him, others, and myself, and it left me mentally destroyed. It's been over 4 years since the events and I still have terrible nightmares almost nightly. We are no longer in contact and god willing will never be again.

After that I was a mess and got psychiatric help and also therapy. I was put on a variety of medications and did CBT for a while and after several months of antidepressants I felt very detached from reality. I stopped them and continued counseling but the detachment didn't go away. Over time, it's gotten to where I feel very.. confused.. a lot. I also often feel like I could fall asleep or pass out at any second although I haven't. My eyes lose focus constantly, and sometimes time passes for me like it's on fast forward, or maybe it's just that I don't have short term memory of what happened before so it feels like time is moving faster.

People that I know say that I am greatly improved, and mood-wise I am. I don't feel depressed anymore like I used to, and the anxiety is more about normal things than someone sneaking into my house and slitting my throat or whatever, but the feeling is not going away. I also find it very hard to talk and listen to people. someone could talk to me for 10min and I can't focus on what they say enough to even know what the conversation was about.

I also have this weird numbness in my body, like especially in my face/mouth, and it feels like I'm walking in a dream sometimes. Every now and then the room will get really foggy and I'll ask someone what that is and they act like I'm crazy because it's not really foggy.

I have assumed thus far that this is a result of PTSD, but it has been a REALLY LONG TIME and seems to not be getting better. Could it be neurological? I'm actually planning to change jobs soon and I'm scared to start treatment without a way to pay to continue it although I guess I should.. It's probably more important than I know, anyway. Is it possible that traumatic events can cause actual brain damage though?? Or is it just a mental thing I can overcome..

thanks for reading, i feel like a freak right now..!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-27-2010, 07:37 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Brain fog & confusion.. ptsd or neuro?

I have suffered from severe PTSD all my life and like you, fought long and hard to recover. But I do find I have to go back into therapy now and then as new issues come up or I start getting more memories returning.

But what you are describing sounds more physical. Almost sounds like hypoglycemia or low blood pressure.

Before you try therapy again, I'd suggest a good physical with a doc who knows you are doing well with the PTSD and are stable. You need to rule out physical problems first. And if you think you might need to see a neurologist, then see one. But it sounds more "whole body problem" to me.

Can abuse change the brain? That is now being worked on. Recent work by docs for the VA have found changes in brain tests on soldiers with PTSD so yes, it does. No one knows if they are permanent. However, 2 studies have shown that children severely abused prior to age 2 have genetic changes to the DNA of the brain that is permanent. It's amazing to think that the DNA of the brain can be different from the DNA of the rest of the body but that is what they have found.

But please have yourself checked out medically first. Just because you have(or had) PTSD doesn't man you can't get sick as well. In fact, having PTSD makes you more likely to get sick. Stress.

Let me know.

gentle hugs........Jenny

Closed Thread