It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
(male)

Ghostin0hs HB User
Apathy

Apathy is a strange thing. It can be good or bad, it depends on the person. Honestly, when done correctly, apathy is a great way of life. The concept of apathy was developed in response to a problem widely debated by ancient Greek philosophers, of how a human being can achieve true happiness. Apatheia represented a state of tranquility and peace of mind, achieved by becoming indifferent to your surroundings. Not all can take on this way of life and make it work for their lifestyle and situation. I myself am as apathetic as it gets without going overboard. It's great. I can honestly say i am at a euphoric point in my life. I haven't stressed in about a year now. I kind of fell into this way of life after being raised with both of my parents always stressed out of their mind and having it take a toll on both their mental and physical state. Being apathetic relieves any and all stress from daily life. When something bad happens (ie car breaks down) just not caring and working through it makes the situation a lot easier. Being apathetic and emotionally numb are two completely different things, which people don't often realize. An emotionally numb person has no feeling toward anything which usually brings laziness along. They see a chore and say what's the point. Often this person is somewhat of a downer and is just not a fun person to be around. An truly apathetic person is so stress free that they are at peace with their life and therefore put off a comfortable vibe. When they see a chore, they also think there is no point, but they do it anyway because then they think, why not do it? Now don't get me wrong, i can see why apathy can be a bad thing in the big picture. For example, i have no ambition to strive for anything more than i have. I have enough money to get by and i'm perfectly okay with that. Now if everyone were like me, nothing extraordinary would ever get done and the world would be very bland. Very ambitious people would argue with me saying i'm not "living life" because i'm not going out in the world and experiencing new things or striving to be the best that i can be. I disagree because ambitious people need to do those things to make them happy, but i am happy without those things. I'm not saying an apathetic lifestyle is the way everyone should live, i'm just saying for those who do choose to live this way, it is not a bad thing by any means. When issue's like politics, religion, etc. pop up, just not having an opinion on any of the topics relieves the trouble of having to worry about it and having debates about it. But you don't have to be ignorant to be apathetic. I still pay attention to what's going on in the world like the war, elections, and the oil spill. I am educated about the topics, i just really don't care about them. I live in the middle of the country so the oil spill isn't directly effecting me, therefore i could care less. Yes that sucks for the marine life and the beaches, but i'm not there so my life goes on. Why should i worry about something that isn't effecting me directly? That just adds one more thing to think about in our busy lives. Now call that crude, heartless, whatever you want, but i still just don't care. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and way of life, and i'm not pushing mine onto other people. Life is about the pursuit of happiness, and i can honestly say, i am truly happy. Some people use religion to come to peace with their lives, and that's great. I myself am agnostic, but i understand that religion gives people a sense of hope, a sense of security, and most importantly a sense of peace. No matter what religion or beliefs you have, in the big picture, life is about enjoying the time you have on this planet. In the end everyone just wants to be at peace. And that my friends, is my thought on the purpose of life.
Thoughts?
Arguments?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostin0hs For This Useful Post:
Withoutlife (04-22-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2010, 09:46 AM   #2
(female)

PAYNE HB User
Re: Apathy

I understand what you're saying...I happen to be listening to a CD recommended by my therapist for dealing with fear and anxiety. The speaker reads a bunch of self-affirming statements while encouraging the listener to relax. At some point, he says something to the effect of "You are not worried about anything in your life..."

I do think there's a difference between just not caring and sort of taking things in stride--seeing them as more problems to be solved objectively. Our emotional responses can be deterimental and interfere with effective problem solving. Gee, am I making any sense?

Closed Thread