It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2001, 07:19 PM   #1
(male)

kato_cat69 HB User
wellbutrin + remeron

Does anyone know if wellbutrin sr and remeron are a good mix? I've heard remeron makes you sleepy, but wellbutrin has made me wired. So what will happen when taking these two together? Any help is appreciated - thanks. PS - I'm also on dalmane and trazadone - is that a bad thing?

Old 11-02-2001, 09:26 PM   #2

Cognex HB User
Re: wellbutrin + remeron

What kind of doctor are you seeing??? A psychiatrist or regular general practice (family medicine, internal medicine)? The reason I ask is because of the augmentation they've got you on. Flurazepam (Dalmane) is mainly a hypnotic benzodiazepine, trazadone (Desyrel) is a complex atypical antidepressant, mirtazapine (Remeron) is yet another complex atypical antidepressant, and bupropion (Wellbutrin). How can you stay awake?

The only drug listed above that isn't sedating is Wellbutrin. Trazadone is a mild antihistamine, and Remeron is a potent antihistamine. Both drugs also have similar and potent effects on the same serotonin, dopamine, and adrenergic receptor subtypes.

Do you have treatment-resistant condition?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-03-2001, 04:21 PM   #3
(male)

kato_cat69 HB User

Thanks, Cognex. I'm seeing a psychiatrist, and all these meds kind of built up over the years. The dalmane and trazodone were initially prescriobed by my family doc. Now the psyche doc has been playing with other meds, such as zoloft, serzone, effexor. etc. I've had bad side effects with all. Lately I've been on wellbutrin sr but couldn't take the side effects of a high dose, so now remeron has been advised to be taken along with it. I believe I was told to drop the trazodone when I start the remeron, but how about the dalmane? Sounds as if I should cut back on that also...is that right? I'm not sure all these changes at one time are good; I can't tolerate feeling awful. What would you advise?

Old 11-03-2001, 07:48 PM   #4
Inactive

Person89009 HB User

Hello, iv been doing alot of research on meds, esp remeron, welbutrin, desipramine.

First and foremost, remeron is different from other meds. Its blocks seratonin receptors 5ht2a, 5ht3, which combat anxiety, nausea, libido. %ht3 receptor blockade stimulates hunger.
Remeron is a potent histamine receptor blockade, esp at low doses.15mg
Remeron also hits norepinephrine alpha 2 receptor which helps libido. esp at high doses 45mg.

Welbutrin is a dopamine reuptake blocker, and mild norepinephrine.

Desipramine is a selective norepinephrine blocker.

ok now quesiton is what meds are most effective. Well , my p doc in florida, who is a neurophyc, recommended remeron/desipramine combo. They both augment eachother, so im not sedated nor anxious. very effective.

my current p doc in pa, want me to try welbutrin. Upon doing numerous studies, dopamine excess will cause panic, parinoia, anxiety symptoms more so that norpepinephrine. also, norepinephrine is more so eleite than dopamine for sex drive.

In my opinion, remeron is a wonder drug for my anxiety, sleep and major depression. adding a selective NE drug, desipramine, and yet to try reboxine is better than adding welbutrin, if one is diagnoses with panic or anixety disorder.

Although, i may try welbutrin to stop smoking. If i get too many side effects like you described, ill stop it, and resume desipramine.

Blockade of the alpha 2 andoceptor is the most effective for increased libido. Dopamine is moreso affects movement, and reward.

good luck
geno

Old 12-23-2001, 10:00 PM   #5
Inactive

BEARALLNTX HB User

What are the possible side effects of trazodone?
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking trazodone and seek emergency medical attention:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
· prolonged, painful, or inappropriate erections; or
· an irregular heartbeat or chest pains.
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take trazodone and talk to your doctor if you experience
· dizziness or drowsiness;
· headache;
· insomnia or vivid dreams;
· dry mouth, upset stomach, nausea, or vomiting;
· diarrhea or constipation;
· tremors (shaking); or
· blurred vision.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect trazodone?
• Before taking trazodone, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following medications:
· digoxin (Lanoxin, Lanoxicaps);
· phenytoin (Dilantin);
· a monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate); or
· warfarin (Coumadin).
• You may require special monitoring during your therapy if you are taking any of the medicines listed above.
• Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with trazodone. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines.

Brand: Dalmane
What are the possible side effects of flurazepam?
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking flurazepam and seek emergency medical attention:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, face, or tongue; or hives);
· sores in your mouth or throat;
· yellowing of the skin or eyes;
· a rash;
· hallucinations or severe confusion; or
· changes in your vision.
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take flurazepam and talk to your doctor if you experience
· drowsiness, dizziness, or clumsiness;
· depression;
· nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, or constipation;
· difficulty urinating;
· vivid dreams;
· headache;
· dry mouth;
· decreased sex drive; or
· changes in behavior.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

What other drugs will affect flurazepam?
• Before taking this medication, tell your doctor if you are taking any of the following drugs:
· antihistamines such as brompheniramine (Dimetane, Bromfed, others), chlorpheniramine (Chlor-Trimeton, Teldrin, others), azatadine (Optimine), clemastine (Tavist), and many others;
· narcotics (pain killers) such as meperidine (Demerol), morphine (MS Contin, MSIR, others), propoxyphene (Darvon, Darvocet), hydrocodone (Lorcet, Vicodin), oxycodone (Percocet, Percodan), fentanyl (Duragesic), and codeine (Fiorinal, Fioricet, Tylenol #3, others);
· other sedatives such as phenobarbital (Solfoton, Luminal), amobarbital (Amytal), and secobarbital (Seconal);
· phenothiazines such as chlorpromazine (Thorazine), fluphenazine (Prolixin), mesoridazine (Serentil), perphenazine (Trilafon), prochlorperazine (Compazine), thioridazine (Mellaril), and trifluoperazine (Stelazine); or
· antidepressants such as amitriptyline (Elavil), doxepin (Sinequan), imipramine (Tofranil), nortriptyline (Pamelor), fluoxetine (Prozac), paroxetine (Paxil), sertraline (Zoloft), phenelzine (Nardil), and tranylcypromine (Parnate).
• Dangerous sedation, dizziness, or drowsiness may occur if flurazepam is taken with any of the medicines listed above.
• Seizure medications may not be as effective when you are taking flurazepam. Tell your doctor if you have a seizure disorder.
• Blood pressure medications may be more effective and may result in very low blood pressure. Be alert for signs of low blood pressure (weakness, dizziness, fatigue) and talk to your doctor about your medication.
• Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with flurazepam. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines.

Brand: Wellbutrin
What are the possible side effects of bupropion?
• If you experience any of the following uncommon but serious side effects, stop taking bupropion and seek emergency medical attention or contact your doctor immediately:
· an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives);
· seizures; or
· fast or irregular heartbeats.
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take bupropion and talk to your doctor if you experience
· headache;
· insomnia;
· dry mouth;
· tremors, restlessness, agitation, or anxiety;
· dizziness or drowsiness;
· sweating;
· skin rash;
· ringing in the ears;
· flulike symptoms such as aching muscles, fatigue, and discomfort;
· frequent urination; or
· weight loss or gain.

What other drugs will affect bupropion?
• Do not take bupropion if you have taken a monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI) such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate) in the last 14 days.
• Many drugs can interact with bupropion, resulting in side effects and/or decreased effectiveness of the medication. Do not take any other prescription or over-the-counter medicines, including herbal or natural products, without first talking to your doctor during treatment with bupropion.
Brand: Remeron
What are the possible side effects of mirtazapine?
• If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking mirtazapine and call your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical treatment:
· an allergic reaction (swelling of the lips, face, or tongue; difficulty breathing);
· seizures;
· a fast or irregular heartbeat; or
· fever, chills, a sore throat, flu-like symptoms, or sores in your mouth or nose.
• Other, less serious side effects may be more likely to occur. Continue to take mirtazapine and talk to your doctor if you experience
· drowsiness;
· nausea;
· increase in weight or appetite;
· dizziness;
· dry mouth;
· constipation; or
· mild tremor.

What other drugs will affect mirtazapine?
• Do not take mirtazapine if you are currently taking, or have taken within the last 14 days, a monoamine oxidase inhibitor such as isocarboxazid (Marplan), phenelzine (Nardil), or tranylcypromine (Parnate).
• Mirtazapine may increase the effects of other drugs that cause drowsiness, including other antidepressants, alcohol, antihistamines, sedatives (used to treat insomnia), pain relievers, anxiety medicines, and muscle relaxants. Tell your doctor about all medicines that you are taking, and do not take any medicine unless your doctor approves.
• Drugs other than those listed here may also interact with mirtazapine. Talk to your doctor and pharmacist before taking any prescription or over-the-counter medicines.
<A HREF="http://www.rxlist.com/interact.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.rxlist.com/interact.htm</A>

Closed Thread