It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2002, 08:03 PM   #1

franniemae HB User
paranoid psychosis or neuroleptic malignant syndrome

Recently I experienced a hospial from hell!! While in primary care hospital I suddenly became catatonic. Blank stare, very rigid, sweaty, drooling were some of the symptoms. My primary care Dr.(the same Dr.that prescribed Haldol) diagnosis was paranoid psychosis and thus ordered my transfer to a mental hospital (the one from hell) The admitting psychiatrist diagnosis was neuroleptic malignant syndrome, a very serious and potential fatal condition that should be treated in ICU of a primary care hospital, not a mental hospital. Of course, I'm learning all this 6 months after the fact. This is my question. Is is possible to confuse the symptons I descriped above as paranoid psyschosis? Also, in the past 6 weeks weeks I have been experiencing "flash backs" of my experience in that mental hospital from hell. I wake up shaking, sweating, totally disoriented and finding myself trying to escape from my "own bedroom" in my "own home". My husband says at times I just sit and stare and sometimes even drool. I'm not aware I'm doing this and am getting really concerned. I'm not sure what is causing it, maybe an after effect of the haloperidol. Now I'm to the point I don't know where to turn.<p>[This message has been edited by franniemae (edited 02-08-2002).]

Old 02-08-2002, 09:03 PM   #2

strange86 HB User
Re: paranoid psychosis or neuroleptic malignant syndrome

Are you seeing a doctor, physically or otherwise? If so, you should definitely take this to him/her...you shouldn't be dealing with this on your own if you are.

--Travis

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2002, 10:06 PM   #3

mulli3292 HB User

hello i just replied to your old post not realizing you had posted a newer post. i am sorry you went ahead and took the haldol im sure you really did not know how much of a high rate this drug has for causing side effects. i am in search as well to find out if there are any long term side effects from this drug from one dose. this drug is known to be called the chemical lobotimay. how much of a dose did you get and for how long of a time where you on it? where you treated in a timely manner with cogentine? i hope evrything is ok. i will post soon about my 9 yr olds forced injection of haldol in the er that i thought was going to kill him. there is a open investigation going on against the hospital about this. i will post it soon i need to get to bed for now. let me know how you are doing

Please note: posting of personal contact details is not allowed - Thanks, Paddington Moderator<p>[This message has been edited by paddington (edited 03-08-2002).]

Old 03-09-2002, 08:43 AM   #4

franniemae HB User

Hi Mully
As far as the haldol is concerned, I took 3 doses per day for 5 days. On the 5th day I developed NMS. Because my condition was mis-diagnosed as paranoid psychosis I was never administered cogentin, or any other med to help with the side effects. Because of that I have no idea what the long term effects may be.After researcing this drug extensively, I think it is safe to say Haldol was at one time a very useful drug. But, times have changed and there are now much safer, newer neuroleptics that can be given. If the older neuroleptics are bad then Haldol is the baddest of the bad. Of course I am not a physician, but it is hard to imagine any scenario that would justify injecting Haldol into a 9 year old in an emergency room setting. Good luck and do not give up.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:03 PM   #5
(male)

nmssurvivor HB User

I agree with you! I too had Neusssrleptc Malignant Syndrome. I w

Closed Thread