It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-27-2002, 10:36 AM   #1

Hanns HB User
Xanax or Propranolol

I suffer from Social Anxiety. I got extremely nausious on dates and social events and was often easily agitated. For years I had a hard time meeting women. I also felt signs of anxiety before any major event: i.e, leaving home, big date, huge test.
I have been able to cope and eventually diminish my phobias. However, the greatest challenge for me will been my upcoming wedding. I have extreme anxiety about getting sick (vomiting) or not being able to enjoy my wedding day because of my social anxiety. I am currently on Paxil (30mg) for two months. Sometimes I wish that I could avoid my own wedding because of my anxiety. It is not because I fear marriage, it is because I fear embarrassing my future wife and somehow failing to marry her because of social fear.
I am currently seeing a therapist/ psychiatrist / and have been prescribed Xanax and Propranolol for my anxiety around and during the wedding. I still have doubts. Will these medications help me feel relaxed at my wedding and stop my vomiting?
I want to enjoy this day and I feel so helpless in stopping my fear. I wish it would be over with so I can enjoy my life with my wife. I feel that my anxiety is now making her worry about me on our wedding day as well. This wedding is 4 months away and I have been worrying about it for 3 months already!!
Will these meds help me get through the day without anyone noticing my anxiety? Any advice or past experiences? Help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-27-2002, 06:20 PM   #2

Binkie HB User
Re: Xanax or Propranolol

Poor guy. Are you saying you're on Paxil and it hasn't helped?? Only thing that would knock out anxiety for me would be 2mg of Xanax. I take it on those rare occasions I have to go to the dentist. I wouldn't want to risk intense fear at my own wedding either; I'd take what would Work for me. Most people who have Xanax take it on a regular schedule. If I did that it would stop working. So I save it for emergencies.
Have you ever tried Xanax? I suspect a dr. would say not to combine it w/Paxil but just for this one time it wouldn't hurt you at all. Gee; I've had 3 drinks on Xanax (during a small party with strangers) more than once and it never hurt me. And I'm no spring chicken. Binkie

------------------

Old 02-27-2002, 09:38 PM   #3

MrAlan HB User

Binkie, I hope you're not suggesting that Hanns should take 2.0 mg of Xanax. He'll end up sleeping through his whole wedding if he hasn't built up any tolerance yet.

Hanns, since you have a prescribtion, you'll have to learn how Xanax effects you from experience. Xanax is very effective in allievating anxiety, but if you take too much you won't have the mental acuity you'll need on that important day. Good luck, you'll do fine and will have a great time at your reception!

Old 02-28-2002, 05:37 AM   #4

Hanns HB User

I think I will take it before the wedding in a test run. I taped the show, "A Wedding Story". This show, believe it or not, gives me anxiety because I imagine its effects on me if that day on TV was my day. Maybe I will try the Xanax while watching this and see.
Yes, I want to be relaxed, but also coherent to reciting vows and talking to people on that day. I hope the Xanax does not take this ability away from me.
Does Xanax affect mental acuity that much??

Paxil has helped me sleep and I am better but I still get anxious about that day.

[This message has been edited by Hanns (edited 02-28-2002).]<p>[This message has been edited by Hanns (edited 02-28-2002).]

Old 02-28-2002, 10:25 AM   #5

MrAlan HB User

No, Xanax doesn't affect your mental processes that much if you don't over do it. Giving it a "test run" is a good idea, so you'll know the dosage that works for you.

Old 02-28-2002, 11:10 AM   #6

Hanns HB User

MrAlan,

Do you think Xanax is the way to go for something emotional and public as this wedding? I was also considering Kava Kava.

Old 02-28-2002, 12:20 PM   #7

MrAlan HB User

Yes, I do. Xanax is excellent for short term, situational anxiety. It does effect people differently though. That's why I suggest you try your prescription before the big day. Did your Dr. start you off with 0.25 mg? Xanax is a very safe drug. It can be addictive, that's why I would only use it short term, and for situational anxiety.

I've tried Kava with little results. It would be nice if there were an herb that was effective as a narcotic, but I just don't believe there is.

Old 02-28-2002, 01:16 PM   #8

Hanns HB User

Yes MrAlan, the Dr. started me off with .25mg. I think my fear stems out of past experiences in social situations when I would get sick and anxious. I keep thinking that the same will happen to me at the wedding. I do not want to tremble when my fiancee walks down the aisle and everyone sees me doing this.

Old 02-28-2002, 03:48 PM   #9

MrAlan HB User

Hanns,

I think you're putting too much pressure on yourself. I've been to several weddings where the bride or the groom made obvious mistakes due to the "jitters". It always ends up viewed as "cute" and lends itself to an endearing quality. It actually gives the ceremony a personality. Who wants a stuffy "perfect" wedding with no mistakes? Whenever an occasion brings anxiety to me I try to put it in perspective by saying, "well at least it's not brain surgery". Your wedding day is important, but no one's life depends on it. Try to approach this wonderful day with a lighter spirit. It truly is a celebration, and you're very fortunate to have met someone you can spend the rest of your life with. Everything will work out fine!

Old 03-01-2002, 05:15 AM   #10

Hanns HB User

MrAlan,

You are right about that. I know if I make a mistake, it will be ok. I just do not think vomiting at the altar will be appropriate or fainting from anxiety would be the best thing. That is what really concerns me.

Old 03-18-2002, 10:26 PM   #11

LMDG24 HB User

Hi:

I've tried all the drugs you had for a long time, and personally (they dont act the same way for everyone), I didnt like them.

I had social anxiety too, I had propanolol (Inderal) and Xanax (several doses and brands) about 6 years ago. Propanolol, according to what I've been reading acts on heart beat beat mostly, its very light and it didnt do much for me. Xanax is a benzodiazepine (used directly for anxiety) and the effect was too strong even with very small doses, it made feel like a zombie, always sleepy and very tired (which is not good when you are already depressed), and the worse of it is that anxiety didnt go anyware.

After a few years on and off with it and a few more drugs a doctor gave me another benzodiazepine, a very old drug called Tranxene (in USA and Canada) which was a miracle. For the first time all phobic symptoms disapeared and there were no side effects even with the maximum dose.

Phobias can be treated but its not always easy to find the right one for you, it took me 6 years of "drugs testing" and a lot of doctors changes to get well, and Im not a "single son" in that matter. Keep trying if one doesnt work or if you cant stand the side effects.

Good luck

Old 03-19-2002, 12:25 PM   #12

Hanns HB User

Thanks for the advice. However, I cannot seem to find a way to give me better confidence in these social situations. Will this drug do it for me (or any other for that matter)? Thanks. I am desperate to be calm and happy on my wedding day and not a stress freak who embarasses himself.

Old 03-19-2002, 10:00 PM   #13

LMDG24 HB User

Well, I do feel calm with it. No anxiety at all. Self confidence is another matter, but anyway, if I dont fear - I am more confident. To tell you the truth I changed from a state of moderate social phobia to work mostly as salesman... I tried to stop having it for a while, just to see the results and everything came back after a few days. But once again, this was a personal reaction to a med and those may differ a lot from person to person.

Good luck

Old 03-20-2002, 05:09 AM   #14

Hanns HB User

If you do not mind me asking, how often did you take it and what was the dosage? I think self confidence is a big thing and I fear that I have a lack of it when it comes to this situation. I just want to be more confident. Does anyone have recommendations for self-help programs that boost confidence in pressure situations? I still do not feel that way when I am on Xanax. Thanks for your input!

Old 03-21-2002, 12:36 AM   #15

LMDG24 HB User

I had it once or twice a day, between 15 and 30mg (I am taking it for more than a year). Just one thing, dont expect any med to make you feel confident like some movie star. If they work the symptoms you have will disapear or be reduced, but this doesnt mean that your personality will change to whatever you want to be. Getting some self-esteem is a very slow process...

I don't belive in "self-help programs", neither psychotherapies... in MY own opinion it's just a great way to fool yourself with suggestion to wake up later, when you get hitted in the face by reality. I must confess I was a "believer" for a long time... now I just miss the money. Life goes on...

Good luck

Closed Thread