It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #1
(male)

drew726 HB User
Question Why is my memory so bad?

I posted the same question on yahoo but I think I'll post it here as well.

Sometimes I have errands to run and before I leave the house I usually say this to myself "Ok, remember you have to bring this item, its important, so BRING THIS ITEM." Then when I'm driving away from my house, guess what, I forgot to get the item. Same goes for things like any object that I laid aside on a table. I turn around for a second and I'm like "where'd I put that item again" and it literally was 10 seconds ago.

Just today I left my wallet at the library and the librarian said it was on the table, but I'm trying as hard as I can to remember ever taking out my wallet and I do not. This is the second time in a month I left my wallet at the library. They emailed me informing I left it there. It was so bad I almost forgot my portfolio when going to a job interview.

I also forget names. Sometimes I would forget actor's names even though I've literally read their biography on wikipedia. The other day I told my friend something and he said I've told him that the other day and I seriously can't remember ever saying that specific topic to him.

A few days ago i was suppose to help my mom pay a credit card at the bank and I forgot, so the next day I made sure I would remember to pay it. I almost forgot until I saw someone taking out a credit card on the street. Also, that same day I was suppose to get something from her workplace and I completely forgot and didn't go there at all.

I'm still young, only 27 but I'm scared this is going to ruin my career one day. Things like credit cards I have it all on auto-pay because I'm scared I'll forget. When I was younger I didn't really make anything of it only because I didn't have as much responsibility. But now, when I forget tasks that I repeated on my head a ton of times not to forget and STILL forget it anyways, I just beat myself up inside to the point where I just want to scream or cry. I'm not going to lie, when I was in high school and until my late teens, I did a bit of ecstasy and nitrous oxide. Can someone tell me what the hell is going on?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB Userjennybyc HB User
Re: Why is my memory so bad?

There are books out there that can help you re-train your memory. I doubt you've done any permanent damage, just needs to be worked on like any other task.

I suffered brain damage 4 years ago after stopping breathing following surgery for a broken neck. I couldn't remember anything for many, many months. So I bought a lot of Post-It notes and kept them with me where I went and wrote myself notes. I bought a roll of the stuff that they make wipe off boards with and turned my entire fridge into a giant wipe off board. and I used it...a lot. I wrote down everything until I started to remember again. I would read a magazine article and then quiz myself on what it said until I started to remember them. And I couldn't remember how to spell so I have a dictionary next to my computer and I use it often.

Our brain often gets so caught up in other "stuff" that is kind of slacks off. Remember how you couldn't remember what you learned in the previous school year so the first 4-6 weeks were all review? It's normal to forget. How much high school math could you do now?

So start working on retraining your brain to remember the stuff you want to remember. It's a good skill to learn and as you'll need it at different times in your life. I'm heading into the "senior years" now and I need to remind my brain to remember more and more often. And it doesn't worry me because I know it's normal.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:35 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

Our brains are such an amazing organ, capable or so much more than we ever ask of it. When there are compromises to the brain due to accident, disease or other traumas the brain is able to shut itself down, and re-wire itself, re-route blood supplies and re-train us to perform tasks that seem to have been lost forever.

That includes the memory. Like a muscle, it performs best when used frequently and occasionally pushed a little harder.

Seven years ago, I survived 4 strokes while snorkeling in the ocean near my house. My brains shut down for a good year, while I was asleep and my brain was feverishly fixing itself and one by one I began to regain function that had all been lost. At that point, I had lost vision, speech, memory, balance, the whole shebang. I was just asleep.

I am now 7 years beyond that day, and I have been writing everyday just to keep my language flowing.

I use any kind of trick or tip I can think of to remember things. When it becomes a solid habit to remember to remember...your memory will have improved. I have heard that it takes 30 days to create a habit, doing the same thing each day in a row.'

I use my cell phone alarm everyday to take my medication on time. I use my calendar religiously. I have a big chalkboard, use notes, hide keys, etc.

Much of the memory could be a result of a very busy lifestyle. Sometimes we get so busy, things slip by us. It might be as easy as taking a minute at the door before you leave everyday. I have a hook and a shelf at the door area to leave items that need to be returned or dropped off.

Believe it or not, just playing word games can keep your mind sharp for everything. I like Scrabble.

It is too bad that you are having such memory problems at a young age, and without any reason....but the fact that you have recognized it and are searching for ideas on how to resolve it for yours1elf is a big step towards a better memory!

good luck

Last edited by writeleft; 11-19-2010 at 04:36 PM.

Old 11-19-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
(female)

Misssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB UserMisssty HB User

I just wrote a long post and my new laptop is not cooperating with me!
It sounds like you are rushing around and not living in the moment. I get this "frazzled" feeling when I read your post. It is a gift you can give yourself to slow down. If we are thinking about the next task and not focusing all of our attention on the PRESENT than we are going to do these things that you are doing. If you could take a few minutes before you left the library..to take a breath...take in the picture of where you are...what your items are that you need and focus on what you are doing instead of what the next task is...than you may do better. Same thing for leaving the house....if you focus a little bit the night before on what you will need for your day and then strategically place these items in a place where you will see them in the morning...and stop and take a minute before leaving the house to think about what you may be forgetting. Its all about living in the present moment and not worrying abou the thing you are going to do next. For example: If I was leaving the library. I would take a good moment to look around at the area...breathe in the experience I was leaving behind...put the books away...ensure I grab all of my things...and move on to the next "thing" in my life. You sound like you are running alot...and not stopping to enjoy the moments or to focus on the things that are important to you...are you rushing to the NEXT thing to do? The only important thing...is the thing that you are doing in the moment. Slow down and see if that helps.

The Following User Says Thank You to Misssty For This Useful Post:
grapestew (03-04-2012)
Closed Thread