It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
(female)

setfiretorain HB User
Extremely odd behavior in friend

Hi there, I actually joined this website to see if anyone can help me understand the behaviors of one of my friends who I believe is mentally ill.
My other friends and I have always wanted to ask a message board because we are so confused and confused by her behavior. I use the word "friend" lightly because it is extremely difficult to be real friends with her.
She is 17 years old, obsessed with ponies and stuffed animals, screams when she talks and shouts very strange lines, yet wears suits and has a briefcase and likes to dress extremely mature.
She is very outgoing but not in a normal way. She will randomly walk up to a stranger and say "I LOVE YOU MORE THAN CANDYLAND!" And she acts like that CONSTANTLY, whether I'm alone with her or in public. If I say the sky is cute, she'll say "YOURE CUTE!" She does not know how to have a conversation. Her profile picture is a My Little Pony and she collects stickers and acts like shes 3, yet she is academically smart and a really sweet girl. However, her actions are beyond odd and she has become one of the most hated girls in my school because of her oddness...it really is not eccentricity, it seems like a social problem because there is just this disconnect with her and acting "normal." Can someone help figure her out for me? Thanks

Old 04-30-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
(female)

LLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB UserLLTd HB User
Re: Extremely odd behavior in friend

Could it be that your "friend" is in the Autism Spectrum Disorder? Doesn't mean she has to have Autism, but some of her behavior sounds like children I've dealt with in some of my son's sessions.

I believe the numbers are something like 1 out of every 100 children have ASD now.

They're extremely smart and their IQ is normally higher than most others, but they may be socially lacking in what others see as "normal" social behavior.

My son is 10 but he doesn't understand what my other 3 children do about what's socially acceptable and what's not.

Unless helped at an early age, children like my son with Autism do not know how they're behaving is different. It's taken us from age 2 until 10 with thousands of hours of therapy to start understanding it.

It could be something completely different from ASD, but it's great you're trying to figure out what's wrong and to understand your friend.

Have you thought about asking her what it is she has? Maybe in her eyes that's the way the world works the way she sees it?

Last edited by LLTd; 04-30-2011 at 04:25 AM.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LLTd For This Useful Post:
mominpain2 (04-30-2011), setfiretorain (04-30-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2011, 05:48 AM   #3
(female)

setfiretorain HB User

Thank you, I looked up the characteristics and they all seem very fitting.

Old 05-01-2011, 07:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Toonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB UserToonces1 HB User

Is this behavior your friend has always had, or is she just displaying these behaviors more recently? Does she ever show emotions that are totally outside of what would be consider normal?

Some of these traits certainly could fit someone who is on the Autism Spectrum. If your friend has always behaved this way, she could have an autism disorder called Asperger's Disorder. My sister has this and she has some of these same behaviors (except with different things). For example, she is 42 now but she is really into Garfield. She cuts the Garfield cartoon out of the paper every day and saves it. I don't know what she does with them all. Her communication is sometimes weird too. But she is smart and has a college degree.

Does your friend's behavior interfere with her ability to get work done? Would you think that she would have a hard time holding down a job because of her behavior?

Closed Thread