It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
(female)

unsure12 HB User
I'm not really here...

I'm pretty sure this is in the right place. Forgive me if it's not.

I don't know if this is normal, and I'm pretty sure it's not, but I seem to have a disassociation problem. I think I might be using the wrong words to explain this, so let me try and explain this in depth.

I feel distant from everyone. For example, I'll smile, and be happy, but in reality, I don't really 'feel' it. It's like I'm putting on a mask. Lately, it feels like I'm walking through a museum, and the world is the museum's display. There will be times when I'll snap out of it and really feel something, but for the most part, I feel like I'm just walking through a museum, or sitting in a movie theater and watching a movie. It's not even that it happens occasionally, it happens every day. I don't really feel like I'm 'there' or even a 'person'. It's more like I'm a puppet on strings or a robot, responding with how I would normally respond, but inside, I feel nothing, like I'm emotionally numb and watching from a distance.

Is this normal?

Old 09-10-2011, 06:57 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

katlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB Userkatlin09 HB User
Re: I'm not really here..........

Hi, first off I hope your having a better day today.

Your question of is this normal? Well who's to say what's normal for one person or another...I don't think these feelings are typical, or usual...at least when I have dealt with them that's what I'm told. Have you considered seeing a counselor or therapist for help in figuring out what's going on? Have you had a trauma at some point in your life, or medical issues that may be contributing to these feelings? These might be some things to explore for an answer to what's going on.

I wish you well and hope that you can get some answers....I know how scary and frustrating it can be to have these thoughts and not know why. I just wanted to let you know that your not alone in this...

kat

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Hello unsure12. I agree with katlin09 about talking to a therapist or counselor. Whether or not you think these feelings are normal, clearly you're bothered by them and I think that is reason enough to seek help. Do you feel this way all the time every day, or is there something that triggers these feelings like being out in public?

Old 10-22-2011, 08:26 PM   #4
(male)

Jorddon HB User

hey, i feel pretty much the same way, ive been researching it and it seems to me that weve both got something called "depersonalization disorder." look it up and research it as well, so you can verify whether im wrong or not but your description totally matches it. its actually a fairly common but overlooked disorder. its nothing to really worry about i guess, it just really sucks. also its not necessarily permenant it can sometimes just last along time. oh yeah, and im by no means a doctor thats just what i found in my research.

hope this helped and you start feeling better.
take care.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:47 AM   #5
(male)

grayhounds3 HB User

you may want to have an EEG, I've experienced similar when I was diagnosed with mal petite epolepsy, many years ago.

not sure if eliminating that possibilty is high on any list, or even related.

GL

Old 03-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #6
(female)

viridi HB User

I don't know if its normal or not, but I think I know what you mean, as though you're detached or disconnected from the world outside of you and around you? I have the same thing, I don't know why or what it means though, just thought I'd say I have that too...

Old 04-04-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

IAM1113 HB User
Re: I'm not really here...

Hey.

Thank you for sharing your truth. I feel it is so important for our health in all area for our truth to be spoken.

I am a feeling person, I am guided by feelings, not to confused by emotions which come and go from all areas of the spectrum of universal thoughts.

I would like to offer advice of how I became comfortable with my feelings and felt more integrated as part of the world instead of viewing it from a passive mind state of "helplessness"

First I started to feed my mind with healthy affirmations, words, and phrases by alternative doctors and spiritual healers.

I started to change my inner dialogue and ask myself different questions...such as "what do I really love to do" What vision makes me feel joyful" "What do I feel" "What do I need to let go off to become the person I know I am"

Micheal Bernard Beckwith is amazing... google this man and I advise allowing his amazing loving vibes in your life.

-All my love.

Closed Thread