It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #1
(female)

flyaway8 HB User
Question How to get a psychiatrist appointment...

I'm almost 20 and away at school. I've been showing mild signs of bipolar disorder for about a year now. I've only talked to one person about the possibility of it, and the only reason I talked to her about it was because she has the same signs too. I want to get an appointment and try to figure this all out because I know that it can and will get worse if it goes untreated. My parent's have no idea that I'm not their perfect daughter, they have never noticed anything that goes on with me, primarily because I have been away at school. I'm on my parent's insurance and don't have too much money on my own. I need advice on how to go about this. Do I see my primary doctor first and go about it that way? or should I talk to my parents about this? or should i just try to find a psychiatrist myself and make an appointment? I've been avoiding this for way too long, and keep denying that there is anything wrong with me. I want to own up to this and get help because it has started to affect my life and possibly my grades.

Old 11-13-2011, 01:09 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

amyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB Useramyd HB User
Re: How to get a psychiatrist appointment...

Depends on which type of health insurance you (your parents) have. In California you no longer need to see a primary care doctor for this, however you definitely need some pretty good insurance coverage. My shrink (without insurance) would cost $450.00 per session. With Blue Cross, the co-pay is only $20.00, and $10.00 for a prescription.
You simply NEED TO TELL YOUR PARENTS!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2011, 03:09 AM   #3
(female)

Ayria HB UserAyria HB UserAyria HB UserAyria HB User
Re: How to get a psychiatrist appointment...

Well I'm from the UK so things may be different, however - I would presume your GP would have to refer you to a psychiatrist, I think you should definitely mention it to your parents. I wouldn't go into detail with saying you think you're bi-polar because that sounds asif you are self diagnosing. I'd tell them you feel mentally unstable and you fear it's going to get worse and you want some help.

Closed Thread