It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
(male)

Escapelessly1 HB User
Possible OCD/I have to do things and I don't know why

Hello

This is my first time posting on this forum so I'm sorry if it's in the wrong sub forum etc...

I'm just looking for some advice or help really, I have a certain thing I feel like I have to do when I hear or say anything to do with the words 'luck', 'fortune', 'fluke' and all sorts of those words where when it is said I have to say the word 4 times in my head then say 'What have I said now?' in my head and it clears my conscience so I know nothing bad will happen from it.

I know it sounds bizarre but at times I can't think off anything else and when I'm in a conversation with someone and the word comes up I literally have to break off to complete this ritual type thing.

It all started about 3 years ago when I was flying to Portugal, I was terrified of flying and I don't know why but I got this irrational fear of the 'luck' words and I thought this ritual thing would keep me safe on the plane so it wouldn't crash or anything, but after then for the last 3 years it has become 2nd nature to me and a massive burden when I try to think or even talk.

Sometimes it's not just the 'luck' words either, like when I watch my local soccer team play I have to make sure the chant we're singing is ended on a multiple of four times that it is sung or something bad will happen to the team. But then if I repeat the word 'not' 4 times I feel as though it just wipes away the previous phrase and everything is back to normal.

I really don't understand what is going on and I've been getting a bit worried because it sounds really daft and I don't want to talk to my family about it because I feel they would just laugh at me. Would a doctors take me seriously?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ollie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Possible OCD/I have to do things and I don't know why

Hello Ollie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapelessly1 View Post
Would a doctors take me seriously?
I think doctors who are professional will take you seriously. Doctors are suppose to help their patients rather than judge them. At the very least this compulsion is bothersome to you and is a disruption to your social life. I think that's reason enough to seek treatment. Is there a particular type of treatment you are seeking?

Closed Thread