It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 05:48 AM   #1
(female)

Tori41 HB UserTori41 HB User
Re-Fill med. Confusion

Hi:
My pdoc. called me to inform that all of my medications were faxed to mail-order service explaing that my Insurance wants him to do so. However, on my last visit to his office, he didn't say, then I have no idea as to mail-order service. Beside this, he faxed all of meds. to mail-order service after I went to the local pharmacy to re-fill meds.

For years, I've been refilled all of my meds. at local pharmacy and I'm completely happy about this arrangement, because a pharmacist is there to help me any questions I have.

Besides this, .... My biggest fear is that a change of drug-makers affect my Bipolar/mood due to a slight difference amongst any drug makers to manufacture meds.,.... particularly unfamiliar foreign drug makers. Because in the past I had a bad experience changing from one drug maker to other and worst scenario was other generic didn't work on me as good as first generic.

btw, my regular pharmacist already re-filled all of my meds. and waiting for me to pick them up. What should I do with this, complicated situation?

Thanks for any insight and advices on this in advance

Old 11-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Re-Fill med. Confusion

I think you need to get in contact with your insurance company as to why your refill process was switched without asking for your permission or even notifying you ahead of time. Is there any reason why you can't get your refills from your pharmacist and tell your insurance company about why you don't want to get your refills through the mail?

I switched to mail-order refills because my insurance company raised the co-pay for pharmacy refills while lowering the co-pay for mail-order refills. This was all voluntary on my part and I had to get in touch with my insurance company and doctor to make this happen.

The Following User Says Thank You to flamesabers For This Useful Post:
Tori41 (11-28-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
(female)

Thanks for the response based on your own experience as to med.re-fill.

In my belief, my pdoc. thought it's good for me to get all of my med. through the Mail-service which is much cheaper on co-pay in comparison to retailer-pharmacy.

However, what I want is that meds. are made by USA, rather than foreign-based manufacturers. This is primarily due to my past terrible experience on foreign-made med. that didn't work on me as good as US made. Of course, everyone has different reaction to any med. For that, I never have any bias nor discrimation in regard to foreign-made meds. Actually, some of M.I. folks are capable to take meds. whether US or foreign-made, and happy about this arrangement, mail-service with less co-pay.

My insurance is one of biggest HMOs and I'm happy about it until Mail-service med. arrangement. Without my permission or a call, meds. were delivered to my doorstep that I can not understand, tho'.

In my knowledge, starting January, 2012 most of health-insurance prefer Mail-Order for three-months' med. supply. Then, I'm no suprise, but in my case, I have some sensivity to some of foreign-made generic meds. I need to see rx meds. in front of pharmacist before picking them up.

With four different meds., I've stabilized to live as almost normal and healthy as any folks in this society. I can NOT afford to let myself slip back to where I stayed home without any motivation to look for a job. Now, I'm pretty happy except few melt-downs when things are too much for me to handle, .... stree is #1 killer for me.

Any other useful advices would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 11-28-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Have you talked to your pdoc about this? It seems like the problem lies with your pdoc switching your meds to mail-order without your consent rather than your HMO's preference for mail-delivery over retail pharmacy. After all, your pdoc is the one who decides where your refills requests are faxed to. Perhaps your pdoc can cancel the mail-order refills and restart your refills with the retail pharmacy?

Last edited by flamesabers; 11-28-2011 at 04:32 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to flamesabers For This Useful Post:
Tori41 (11-28-2011)
Old 11-29-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

Keep in mind that some drugs sold in US pharmacies are made overseas. Buying them at a local pharmacy is no assurance that they are made in the US.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:42 AM   #6
(female)

Thanks for useful and helpful responses, for which I feel very grateful.

This morning, I finally got my meds. at my local pharmacy after she called Mail-Order service asking to transfer the meds. It was back and forth telephone calls between three, mail-order, my local pharmacy and me that took about one hour or so, but it was well worth for me to have my utmost efforts. btw, I returned meds. to mail-order safely a day before this happened.

After all, I made this sort of decision/courage was because of very helpful responses, above. Without any help and advice, it's tough for me to make it through, because my pdoc. faxed personally to mail-order service.

Next visit to my pdoc., I need to ask my pdoc. to fax meds. to local pharmacy, even though he might insist it's good for me to get all of my meds. through mail-order. In my knowledge through the experience or reading some of boards, I know that there is competetion amongst drug stores. That might something to do with this.

Any other imputs or advices would be truly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 12-01-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Is your pdoc aware of why you want to get your meds through a local pharmacy? If not I think you should explain to him even though it's more expensive, it works much better for you to pickup your meds at a local pharmacy. After all, you're the one taking the meds and you know what types work for you and what has not. I think something else to tell him is you don't want him to do things like this without first getting your approval.

It's good to hear you were able to pickup your meds at the local pharmacy and I hope everything works with the visit to your pdoc.

Closed Thread