It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-29-2011, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

rocketshipsarah HB User
What is happening to me? Am I depressed or is it something else?

It's been kind of a hard year for me, to say the least. But the thing is, I haven't had anything particularly bad happen to me lately- no family crises, no really horrible experiences, no nothing. However, it's an entirely different story emotionally. I think I'm depressed, but I'm not really sure. There are periods that last for a couple of weeks or so where I'm completely broken. Any bad feelings I have are elevated, I'm always tired, and I feel hopeless and worthless and completely alone. During those times, I'm sure I have depression. But then, the feelings slowly improve and within a few days, I'm happy. I'm not exactly on top of the world, but I'm normal and can function without constant sadness. I know it's not PMS either, because there does not seem to be any triggers except stress, and even that's a bit of a stretch. I'm thinking that that could maybe be a cause, what with GPA and SAT and college worries.

But I just don't know what to do with myself anymore. Can depression be on-and-off, or is it something else entirely? And what should I do about it?

I know I should see a therapist or something, but that brings me to yet another issue. I don't know how to talk about my problems very well. I'm sure I could do it to a psychologist, but when I try and tell my friends or my parents about it, I freeze up. So as much as I think therapy would help, I don't know how to tell someone that I need it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: What is happening to me? Am I depressed or is it something else?

Hello rocketshipsarah. It sounds like you could be depressed. You have exhibited a number of depressive symptoms for weeks at a time. Whether you are depressed or not I think talking to a therapist is a good idea as it's clear you're concerned about these symptoms you're experiencing.

It's very common for people to be uncomfortable or uncertain about what to say to their therapist, especially when meeting for the first time. If it helps you any, think of your depressive symptoms as a physical problem that you're going to the doctor to get treated for, much like a person would for a broken leg or a recurring pain in their hands.

You could print out what you wrote here and show it to your therapist if you're worried you're going to struggle with talking to a therapist.

If you haven't done so already, something to think about is what you would like to get out of therapy. I think this is particularly helpful in ensuring you and your therapist have the same goals and expectations for the duration of your therapy.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Closed Thread