It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #1
(female)

ubunto HB User
Empathetic sickness?

Hi guys I just joined to get some opinions on this.
I'm in my early 30's and work abroad. I recently came home when my mom was diagnosed with throat cancer. My dad is with her, but he's too old to be looking after her and the house on his own, so I offered to stay a couple of months until she's done with her treatment (the doctors say she's got an 80% chance of survivng).
Anyway since coming here I've been doing all the housework while Dad looks after Mom, but I've noticed a change in my physical condition. I'm breathless, prone to wheezing and sometimes feel like there's a lump in my throat. I went to the doctor for a checkup and he found everything normal. So I can't help but wonder if I'm starting to mirror my mother's symptoms?

Old 12-06-2011, 07:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Empathetic sickness?

Hello ubunto. I have read about empaths developing the physical symptoms of the people around them but I don't have any firsthand experience with this. Do you experience these symptoms constantly or only when you're around your mother? And do you notice if your symptoms improve or worsen as the intensity of your mother's symptoms change? Since the checkup with the doctor didn't reveal anything maybe you should bring this up with a therapist?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #3
(female)

flyonthewall3 HB User
Re: Empathetic sickness?

Those are also symptoms of anxiety.

Closed Thread