It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #1
(female)

gree82 HB User
Counselling

hi all i don't post here very often but I have a question I'm having a very tough time at the moment, I have been working with a phychologist the last while, but feel he is not getting to the issues i really need to work on although the things we talk about are important (family stuff) there are other issues i need to come to terms with. no matter how much I try and discuss this he always brings i...t back to family. I recently met with a private therapist who I know from working with him in another capacity, I feel much better and safer with him. My question is can a phychologist and therapist work alongside each other or should I stay with the phychogist or tell him I am moving on anytime I tell him I want to finish he won't hear of it. I really feel that I need more support thAN I have at the moment, I don't have other supports. Would it be totatally unheard of to work with two people at once, I am tired of feeling so down and confused about my life and feel that some extra support would be a good thing right now to get to all the things that are distrubing me from living a productive life. Any opinions or advice welcome

Old 12-04-2011, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Counselling

The most important thing about a therapist is that you feel comfortable with him or her. It really does sound like your current psychologist may not be meeting your needs adequately.

You may want to try a session or two with the new person and see how that goes, then decide whether to switch, stick with your current person, or continue to see both.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-04-2011, 07:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

It's not unheard of for a patient to work with two different mental health professionals. If you would like you could give them permission to communicate with each other about you. I agree with Jane that it's important to be comfortable with the person you're talking to, whether it be your therapist or psychologist. If you feel your psychologist isn't listening to you and is not helping you work on your most important issues than I suggest it's time to stop seeing him.

Old 12-04-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
(female)

flygirl1222 HB User

i haven't any advice for you....i only joined 5 minutes ago but i too need a compassionate, empathetic therapist and though i've had 2 in my life i have not found a one in the last decade. fear is driving me now and it is the worse feeling in the world. when my mind is less depressed i'll help both of us....

Closed Thread