It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
(female)

katrina1980 HB User
Psychologist, what should happen? please help

hi
recently saw a psychologist and that one meeting has left me more angry and confused and fed up. One hour session, uk, nhs, i did most of talking, very ilttle advice/help was given, i didnt learn much if anythign at all,
no testing was done to determine the condition/s i am suffering from.

only a questionnaire rating depression and anxiety. which ive consistantly scored extrememly high on for many many months.

why do they always assume its depression and anxiety?
why dont they test for anything else? im so fed up.
cbt wasnt working so they gave up on me on that, now i saw psychologist and he did not want to see me again, i was baffled, i thought therapy was about getting to know me, over many sessions, in order to offer help. and focus on problem areas. in order to make a change in me for the better.

one session? i said i presummed it would be ongoing, so he reluctantly gave in and made me another appointment with him. i hadnt even told him all of my story as hour ran out, so the psychologist hasnt got the full picture, and they said they will write a report to my doctor, already? loads of info is missing...

i dont know what to do now.

pills not working. tried 2 diff ones.

2 diff types of therapy, not worked/poor.

do i need to complain to someone?
do i need to see psychiatrist?

when i tell them a problem/issue/situation, they dont know wht to say or know how to explain it, so its likes they dont seem able to really help me.

thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Psychologist, what should happen? please help

Hello Katrina.

Was the purpose of your visit to the psychologist to go into therapy or to get evaluated for your doctor? If it was the latter I can see why he wasn't interested in scheduling another appointment with you.

What would you like to be tested for? When you've rated very high for depression and anxiety I think it makes sense the psychologist would focus on those unless there was a more pronounced issue present.

If you're interested in taking medication it's not uncommon you'll have to try a variety before you find one that works for you. I had to go through two anti-depressants before I found one that works for me.

In regards to getting therapy I would recommend going to a therapist rather than a psychiatrist. And like with medication, you may have to see several different therapists before you find one that you like. Keep in mind that during the initial visit there probably won't be a lot of therapy as the therapist will be taking notes on information such as your symptoms, medical history and why you've decided to go in therapy. Once the therapist gets to know you, he/she will help you work through whatever it is that is bothering you.

What I suggest you do now is to get a referral for a therapist from your doctor, family member or someone else close to you. If you want to give medication another try than talk to your doctor about trying something new.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #3
(female)

katrina1980 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesabers View Post
Hello Katrina.

Was the purpose of your visit to the psychologist to go into therapy or to get evaluated for your doctor? If it was the latter I can see why he wasn't interested in scheduling another appointment with you.

What would you like to be tested for? When you've rated very high for depression and anxiety I think it makes sense the psychologist would focus on those unless there was a more pronounced issue present.

If you're interested in taking medication it's not uncommon you'll have to try a variety before you find one that works for you. I had to go through two anti-depressants before I found one that works for me.

In regards to getting therapy I would recommend going to a therapist rather than a psychiatrist. And like with medication, you may have to see several different therapists before you find one that you like. Keep in mind that during the initial visit there probably won't be a lot of therapy as the therapist will be taking notes on information such as your symptoms, medical history and why you've decided to go in therapy. Once the therapist gets to know you, he/she will help you work through whatever it is that is bothering you.

What I suggest you do now is to get a referral for a therapist from your doctor, family member or someone else close to you. If you want to give medication another try than talk to your doctor about trying something new.
thanks, i have no idea, cbt person referred me to psychologist as cbt was not working, so passed me onto someone more qualified.
i wasnt told by psychologist what the process was or their job.

i want to be tested for numerous mental health conditions, i have made a list going through my symptoms, so it could be a number of things.
its just so annoying as the only questionnaire test they give me is about depression and anxiety, if thats all hteylook for they are sure to find it.

yes i hear that its trial and error with pills, this is why proper testing should be done to determine the name of illness, before dispensing pills.

a psychiatrist would be a therapist also, just with more power to give medication i think

i have another meeting with psychologist in few weeks, so ill go to that, and voice all my concerns, and get some answers.

thanks.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

writeleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB Userwriteleft HB User

At your next appointment with the new psychologist, bring a list of your concerns with you. It is so easy to get off track in your conversation and leave without ever getting to your most important questions. Anytime I see my doctors, I always give them the list at the beginning of the visit, so they can time themselves to include all my issues. Do not leave until he/she has covered each item.

Of course, it is necessary for us to have a working relationship with anyone we are trusting our innermost thoughts with. Instead of starting with a detailed explanation of your history, I would start with the issue that has brought you there today. Start with the item that most impedes on you daily life. Try to focus on the most bothersome items without overwhelming him with too much information.

Depression are very typical when any mental illness is underlying. but it is often the result of whatever the base issue is. So, I agree with you in the fact that so much emphasis is put on depression and anxiety. You could probable diagnose 75% of the population with those two things,.But, WHY are we depressed and anxious..

I hope you find the answers you are looking for and please let us know the outcome...I am very interested in what you learn,,

janet

Closed Thread