It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2012, 01:29 PM   #1
(female)

imadork02ru HB User
Being in a relationship with a chronic pain man.

HELP! I just want to connect with someone in this situation or connect with someone who is a chronic back pain person and who can explain this to me.

Old 02-26-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Being in a relationship with a chronic pain man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imadork02ru View Post
HELP! I just want to connect with someone in this situation or connect with someone who is a chronic back pain person and who can explain this to me.
Hello,

It's unclear as to the nature of your question.

You are in a relationship with a person who suffers from chronic back pain.

I too have chronic back pain;is there an exact thing you would like me to try and explain.

Chronic back pain can easily change a person's disposition from what was once sunny to a deeply dark one.It has to do with a person's pain tolerance level.Another thing to take into consideration is the psychology of pain and how it can best be managed.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #3
(male)

Bradleyh100 HB UserBradleyh100 HB UserBradleyh100 HB User

I suffer from chronic back pain and I tell you that chronic pain is very debilitating both physically and mentally. I went from being a very active person who golfed, played basketball and volleyball whenever possible and worked a full time job plus all the overtime they would allow. I worked two jobs so my wife wouldn't have to work in her last year of nursing school. Working was the only thing I was really good at. I never minded working seven days a week or long hours, not just when I needed the money. It's how I valued myself as a person. Now after two back surgeries I still suffer chronic pain and cannot work. I don't know your specific situation with your spouse but I am never comfortable anymore. Those long days when you've worked hard and you're dog tired and you you sit or lay down and go Ahhhh!!! That feels so good!!! I haven't a moment like that in four or five years. I can't sit comfortably, lay comfortably. I can't stand for long or sit for long without pain and discomfort. There is really no way to explain to a person who has never suffered from chronic pain what it's like. It changes your entire life. I can no longer truly enjoy anything because pain is always on my mind. Sometimes the pain makes me nauseous. I have muscle spasms when I lay down. I guess if you could imagine walking barefoot on broken glass twenty four hours a day while doing everything you enjoy doing, you might have an idea. I know it's hard on my wife as she is very active and wants to do everything all the time. I'm no longer capable of keeping up with her. I'm NOT lazy. Even when I do things with her it's hard not to let the pain get to me. It's also very depressing knowing this is what you have to live with. I stay home and do house work, but I'm not good at cleaning. It's not that I don't want to do it, it's just that I don't do it as well or as quickly as she does. I still do it,it just takes a while. The simplest of chores around the house gets my back hurting. Pain meds help ease the pain but do not eliminate it. When I am doing something physical they barely help at all. I need to do a little, rest, do some more, rest and so on.i don't know of any of this helps you but this is my life and I assume that of most chronic pain sufferers. I would gladly trade anyone for their healthy back and go back to working two jobs and be able to enjoy doing things again.

The following user gives a hug of support to Bradleyh100:
Phoenix (03-01-2012)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bradleyh100 For This Useful Post:
imadork02ru (03-01-2012), Phoenix (03-01-2012)
Old 03-01-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Bradleyh100 has broken it down quite nicely.

Just need to give credit where it's due.

Respectfully
Phoenix

Old 03-02-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
(male)

Bradleyh100 HB UserBradleyh100 HB UserBradleyh100 HB User

Thanks Phoenix. I really dont mean to sound whiny on these boards but there's no other way to explain such things to those who don't understand.

Closed Thread