It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2012, 07:41 AM   #1
(male)

SadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB User
One of my personalities is exhausting me

Not sure if I have the right forum, so forgive me if this is incorrect. This is an issue that is very hard to explain and probably hits on more than one forum. I have depression/ADHD/OCD/addictive personality/anxiety disorder and probably several more undiagnosed disorders. One of the biggest things I have really started to notice is that I am terrible at conversing with people. I have like 1-2 really close friends that I have had since childhood, then several other friends. I have noticed that my wife talks on the phone for hours at a time to different people, but no one ever calls me. At work I like to talk to my coworkers, but after about 10-15 minutes I start mentally trying to find ways to get out of the conversation. I just feel like I have to get back to work, even if I just go sit at my cube and pretend to work.

The thing is, I am terrible at long conversation. I can talk to someone for a few minutes, general how are you doing, but thats when I start getting anxious. God forbid if there is silence between me and someone else, thats when I start saying stupid things. If I had a dollar for every time someone said "Dude, there are kids around!" or "You might want to lower your voice if you are talking about that". Its like I get anxious, then I feel like I am not entertaining people, and I panic because I can't think of anything, and then the filter between my brain and my mouth explodes and I just don't seem to notice that I am saying something inappropriate.

Also I have noticed that people just aren't interested in anything I am saying. I have some friends that start talking and they are somehow able to keep everyone listening, even if the story they are telling isn't that interesting. I can tell that the people listening are fidgeting with their phones or looking at their watches, but they at least TRY to seem interested. When I talk, people just interrupt me and don't even give the illusion they are interested in what I have to say. It really makes me sad that I have nothing anyone is interested in hearing, and of course that makes me even more anxious and I'm sure I overcompensate by trying to be louder. Its the single child "look at me!" syndrome. Some people are just good at telling stories I guess, and my brain is so scattered and jumbled that even inside my head I can't keep a single thought clear. Also I seem to have the WORST timing when trying to talk. You know how they say that comedy is all about timing, well I will never have a career in comedy. If I am out with a group of people, I always pick the wrong time to start talking, like ok I have something to say, waiting for my turn, OK I start talking- right at the waiter walks up to get our order. Or at home I wait my turn, then start talking right as our 3 year old runs up screaming. How can one person have such terrible timing at every turn?

Which brings me back to the title of my post. Whenever I go out anywhere with my wife or coworkers, I try to switch over to my outgoing interesting guy personality, which is exhausting for me. I just feel like my normal life is so boring and routine that I have nothing to contribute in conversation. Nobody wants to hear how I worked on computer networks and then cleaned my house and played with my kids. I have become as boring a person as I have dreaded I would become. Sorry again for the downer post, these forums help me clear my head a bit and try to at least list out what I am feeling.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-28-2012, 08:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User
Re: One of my personalities is exhausting me

i think you just need to be yourself and stop trying to entertain people with your "outgoing interesting guy" persona.....

Old 03-28-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
(male)

SadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB User
Re: One of my personalities is exhausting me

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosequartz View Post
i think you just need to be yourself and stop trying to entertain people with your "outgoing interesting guy" persona.....
Thank you for the reply. I don't mean to sound that I am intentionally being someone else, it is just very hard for me to have conversations because of everything I mentioned. I try to avoid social situations because I never know what to talk about, I never have anything interesting to say, and even if I did, my timing is so bad that no one ever hears me or when they do hear me, it's when I am saying something inappropriate. Literally the last time I went out to a bar with friends, the music stopped at one point right as I was telling some joke and the word "penis" echoed throughout the bar. Everyone was staring at me. Thats just the kind of thing that seems to happen.

Closed Thread