It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2012, 11:41 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User
Fleeting obsessions

I'm probably just overreacting when I say this, so if I am, I apologize. This is not so much a worry or a concern for me as it is a curiosity.

Occasionally, I develop obsessions. Temporary, they come and go, but they tend to last for about 2-4 weeks. For example, some time ago, I was furiously searching for a particular style shirt, a time before that, I only wanted to read certain kinds of stories. Currently, I've got a thing for a certain actor.

Basically if it's entertainment, I will read only about that subject and possibly look for reasonably priced merchandise based on it. If it's a person, I will read about them, watch their films, listen to their music (if they're famous) or have daydreams about them. Or if it's someone non-famous, I may just try to read about them online via social networking sites.

Usually it's all stuff I have some sort of interest in. The question is why do I get these obsessions that go on for several days? It doesn't interfere with my life or anything and I'm by no means worried. Is this level of pre-occupation normal for the average person? It's just so weird because I may have nothing to talk about but some musician for two weeks and then -boom- I lose all that heated interest.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-19-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User
Re: Fleeting obsessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger View Post
The question is why do I get these obsessions that go on for several days?
Hello Dark Stranger.

Perhaps you're looking for a new interest you can be passionate about in the long-term? If you obsess too much about something I can see how you burn out the interest in a matter of weeks.

Do you have any long-lasting interests that have stuck so to speak?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2012, 12:47 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Dark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB UserDark Stranger HB User

Oh sure, long lasting interests are easy. I love to make art, write, read, listen to music, watch movies, and play video games. The thing is most of my obsessions also fall into those categories. It's weird because the crap I obsess over isn't really anything that could be a long-term interest or hobby (like shopping for a certain piece of clothing or finding a celebrity attractive), whereas my actual interests stay with me. It's really weird.

Thankfully I am not at a point where my obsessions result in me spending large sums of money (like buying expensive memorabilia). I may spend some, but not enough to make me go broke. And if the item in question is something I absolutely will never like or use after the obsession passes, I will try and sell it. Usually, though, it's something I will like/use for at least a little while.

And the things I obsess over don't end up being totally forgotten once the "honeymoon" period ends. For example, if I'm looking for a certain style shirt for a few weeks and don't find it, I will still like that style once I quit searching. I just won't be dedicating so much effort to finding it. Or if I've got an actor on my mind for a while and the obsession passes, I will still find him/her to be a great actor. I just won't be daydreaming about them all the time.

When it's the worst is when it involves a person whom I actually interact with. I not only get fleeting obsessions with inanimate or unattainable people, but I get fleeting crushes on people sometimes. Nothing that is "true love" by any stretch (I'm happy with my current partner) and nothing I would pursue even if I was single...just very awkward if, say, I find a classmate attractive and they sit next to me and I begin to fidget.

I'm experiencing that with someone in my class right now (thankfully class is only in session every few months). He's not even my type - he's 10 years older than me and has totally different interests than me. Yet I find him attractive. I know next to nothing about him. My "fleeting" crushes tend to last considerably longer than my object obsessions, which I hate. I'm glad I can at least hide the human obsessions well should I end up being in contact with the person in question.

I just wonder...WHY do I do this stuff? It makes no sense!

Last edited by Dark Stranger; 04-24-2012 at 12:56 AM.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

flamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB Userflamesabers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Stranger View Post
I just wonder...WHY do I do this stuff? It makes no sense!
Maybe it's a personality quirk? Or maybe you like sampling a bunch of different interests to make sure you're not missing out on something? I think sometimes it can be really hard to understand a particular aspect of ourselves.

For me I can have interests that stay for years and years. For most of my life I've been a history buff but I'm not sure why exactly. There's just some parts of history I find fascinating even though I'm not consistent with following current events. And as soon as I decided to major in accounting for college I never had second thoughts about majoring in something else. It's like once an interest is formed, that's it. There's no backpedaling for me. I think for me either I'm resistant to change or once the interest has formed I see no reason to go back and reexamined what I liked about the particular interest.

Old 06-04-2012, 12:51 PM   #5
(female)

claire123456789 HB User

hiya.
i had to sign up to this forum when i found your post on google!

i am exactly the same! i can't find anything, apart from aspergers that matches with it!
ocd is there, but not as close as aspergers!

mine does cause problems though, as my obsessions are always expensive.
people aren't really a big problem for me, although sometimes they are. it's rare.

i've learned a hell of a lot of stuff through my obsessions. but i've also skinted us quite alot through them too!

i have spoken to the community treatment team about them, so hopefully i will have the answers soon.
i'm just far too impatient to wait!!

i also have GAD, so i don't know if that plays a part in it. i don't think it creates obsessions the way mine and yours are!

have you managed to find anymore info on these 'obsessions'?

Closed Thread