It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Mental Health Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
(female)

nofxroxx HB User
Unhappy Worried about possible mental disorder? Imaginary people?

Alright, I have been doing some research on this for a couple days but I can not find any answers. It's been getting pretty bad lately and I need to know if I should seek professional help.

I have NEVER told ANYONE this before. I have been living with this since I was a kid. So I'm going to just get it all out now. So, like I said, ever since I was a kid, I have been having imaginary conversations with people who are not there. It's kind of hard to explain, but I KNOW these people are not real, but I talk to them like they are standing right next to me.

How do I say this... I don't hear voices in my head, but it's almost like what I want them to say, pops in my head, then I answer them out loud. it's almost like the things he or she is asking me/saying to me, are things that I can answer that would result in me venting about what I'm dealing with. Here's an example:

*Thought in my head as my friend sitting next to me*: So are you going to see Joe again?
Me (out loud): Answer..

This is mostly problems that I am facing in life...mostly with men...and the imaginary people are always people who I know, like my best friend. I will just be "answering her" even though she's not there...This can also be a happy, every day conversation with the person. It's like they are just sitting right next to me and I'm conversing with them. I feel psycho!

I was diagnosed with ADD in 4th grade (I am 24 now) but that probably has nothing to do with it. I have a very analytic mind. I CONSTANTLY over analyze and re-analyze situations, conversations etc. I thought that was normal being a woman and all... My mind races at night about my problems (again, mostly men) Constant ruminating thoughts about the same things....can anyone help? I feel like it's been getting worse over the years. I can not help this...it just comes out. I even do it in public when no one is looking...but very, very,very discreetly. It's always inaudible and little mouth movements.

Again, can anyone please help? Hope it all makes sense

Last edited by nofxroxx; 05-14-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-15-2012, 10:35 PM   #2
(female)

Wobbles08 HB User
Re: Worried about possible mental disorder? Imaginary people?

It sounds like you may have an anxiety problem. I actually do the same thing, so it's not completely unusual. I usually have conversations with imaginary people when I have a problem to solve or when I know I am going to see that person later and am worried about where the conversation is going to go.

I also have overanalysation problems, particularly with conversations and what that person is likely to be thinking about me after the conversation is finished. In alot of cases this is natural, but if you are overly worried about the outcome of conversations there may be something wrong. Also, laying awake in bed at night thinking about your problems can be very normal, if they are stopping your from getting a good nights sleep or causing you a greater level of anxiety than normal then again this could be a problem. I often lay awake in bed at night and it's like my thoughts just won't shut up, I will be thinking about one thing and then something else will pop in there and then something else and it makes it very very hard to get to sleep.

On a couple of occasions I have had really stupid things pop into my head and then just repeat themselves. It's really weird, from the time I was about 12 until I was in my 20s my head kept asking me how old I was, I don't know why it did it. Now I have a number stuck in my head and it's been there since my early 20s (I'm 33 now).

It seems that you are very self aware of what is happening. Have you had any panic attacks or strange feelings or other physical symptoms?

Old 06-03-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
(male)

lun4tic HB User

That you understand these aren't people, and are concerned are signs that you're not crazy. Besides, I doubt imaginary conversations are rare among people.

I'm in the same boat as you; I'm the creative, analytical type. But that's only one side of the coin, the other side being depression, anxiety, and other mental disorders. I play out conversations in my head all the time, some I'm starring in and others that I'm not involved in. Sometimes I'm just playing out a fantasy in my mind, where I just happen to be speaking with somebody. Like I said, I doubt this isn't something every other person does on a regular basis.

Old 07-07-2012, 07:01 PM   #4
(male)

xadam HB User

I know a person who talks and laughs by herself. When I ask her who are you talking to she denies that she was talking. Sometimes she can get very hostile when asked about the self talking / laughing.

How would you react if you were "caught"? Would you deny it or try to explain it by somehow?

I sometimes have these conversations in my head and have been afraid that I am talking myself and not noticing it. But I think its quite normal if you are avare of it and can talk about it.

Closed Thread